The Student Room Group

The Green Mile - Of Mice And Men

Are these two related to each other in any way?

I watched Of Mice And Men a few years ago and then saw The Green Mile last night and the two seemed so similar to me.
of mice and men and million dollar baby seemed similar to me!
Reply 2
The Green Mile that is, not Milne.

Is there a way to edit the title of the thread?
If you go to main forum screen double click on the title or just click once and I think you can change it there
You mean Mile?

Nothing both have different authors Green Mile is set in the 1930s. I actually think it might be the 1920s for Of Mice and Men, long time since I read and watched it so if I recall it's set in the depression right?

Both written by two completely different authors as well.
Feesh
The Green Mile that is, not Milne.

Is there a way to edit the title of the thread?

Edit->Go Advanced :smile:
Reply 6
Illusionary
Edit->Go Advanced :smile:

Cheers breh :smile:
Reply 7
Found nothing similar between the two other than that someone dies in the end. The characters are vastly different, the conflict is vastly different, the setting and theme are vastly different - seriously, what similarities did you find?
Reply 8
DAFOne
Found nothing similar between the two other than that someone dies in the end. The characters are vastly different, the conflict is vastly different, the setting and theme are vastly different - seriously, what similarities did you find?

Lennie and John are two huge, innocent characters.

Lennie didn't mean to kill that girl, whilst John didn't actually do anything wrong.

Both killed by people who cared about them at the end.

Can't remember the name of the dude in Of Mice And Men who is the bosses son, good fighter. Percy is like him in that he basically only keeps that job because of who he knows and both of them are general antagonists.

And obviously there was a mouse in both :smile:
I'll give my reasons why I thought million dollar baby and of mice and men are smiliar..........both use a dog earlier in the film to kind of hint of potential action later in the film, I actually found both pretty predictable because of this, both still good films!
Reply 10
Feesh
Lennie and John are two huge, innocent characters.

Lennie didn't mean to kill that girl, whilst John didn't actually do anything wrong.

Both killed by people who cared about them at the end.

Can't remember the name of the dude in Of Mice And Men who is the bosses son, good fighter. Percy is like him in that he basically only keeps that job because of who he knows and both of them are general antagonists.

And obviously there was a mouse in both :smile:

I've not read The Green Mile (saw the movie), but what sets the two worlds apart is that George killed purposely (even though he had other options) because he had enough of taking care of Lennie while John was killed against the will of the executioners because he had to be killed.

Coincidental plot similarities do not mean that the two books/movies are in any way similar - by that reasoning you will soon argue that P&P is similar to Twilight (both Darcy and Edward are highly desirable, yet taboo men).

To conclude, Mice and Men makes a commentary about the nature of humanity while The Green Mile is mainly a social commentary that delves into the nature of humanity on a different path to what was envisioned by Steinbeck.
Obviously I'm a bit late to the party here, but some of the guys on this thread seem such militant King fanboys...

In answer to the OP's question yes Stephen King often references Of Mice and Men in his literature, and The Green Mile is clearly no different. Yes the themes and overall messages are different, but the link is there.

More info on the subject below:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Of_Mice_and_Men_in_popular_culture
Could not agree more with the references stated by Feesh.

DAFTone clearly does not comprehend that many authors tend to either reference or are influenced by others and that is clearly the case here. To ignore this is to be ignorant.

Saw Green Mile first, a while back and saw of Mice and Men most recently. Could not get out of my head how the story of how Mice and Men ends, imagine if George had not killed him, perhaps he would end up in prison had he not been caught and killed by Curley. Perhaps he would end up like John in the Green Mile, (who also, out of all the traits you could choose a character to have; is a mouse who he squeezes to hard and dies. How coincidental!?).

Who's to say that this wasn't the thought of Stephen King to put in those small references that would excite readers who understand them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Gary sinise makes an appearance aswell. In mice and men he is looking to buy land, he is the simple guys mate, and his love interest-esque character is killed by the simple guy. In green mile, he plays a land owner who hired the simple guy who (he thinks) killed his daughters... he also directed mice and men. Maybe his appearance in green mile was a (cameo/tribute) to the film/book that inspired the green mile... just a thought
I think John from Green Mile is based off of Lennie from Mice and Men and that is why they seem so similar.
Have you ever read Of Mice and Men? The plagiarism displayed and condoned by the critics, producers and general public is deplorable. I say the Green Mile producers owe Steinbeck's estate some of those millions they reaped off a thinly made plagiarism of Steinbeck's characters and theme.
Can't compare them with each other, as I have just watched Green Mile. It is the best film adaption of a Stephen King novel.
Reply 17
I cried a lot watching green mile. The heartbreak is so real!

Quick Reply

Latest