Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    inspired by message by vavavoom about ugly uni buildings (i can really relate to that, i hate those 1960s generic officy-block buildings too-pull em all down!)...see accomodation at York, wow, its like a sainsburys carpark

obviously its a mix of all these things, but what would most swing a uni choice decicion for you? (never started a poll, sorry if dont work)

ReputationRep:
    I voted prestige as that affects your post-uni prospects so much.

ReputationRep:
    uni architecture

I can't be bothered to say why.

ReputationRep:
    In the end i'll ultimate choose my uni based on teaching quality but the buildings certainly affected my choice on which uni's I applied to...I didn't apply to Bath because of the buildings.

ReputationRep:
    Teaching quality definitely should be the most important thing. Also the nature of the course itself as this may differ from uni to uni.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Teaching quality definitely should be the most important thing. Also the nature of the course itself as this may differ from uni to uni.

I dunno abt that like... after all isn't university more about doing the work yourself in your own time than relying on teaching? I don't think lectures or tutorials have helped me anywhere near as much as getting the books myself, reading them and writing the essays.

When I went back home everyone was like "So what's your course like / how are lectures / what are your tutors like..." - Is it just me who feels that other things are a lot more integral a part of university life, i.e. the scene in general, than the academic side?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    I dunno abt that like... after all isn't university more about doing the work yourself in your own time than relying on teaching? I don't think lectures or tutorials have helped me anywhere near as much as getting the books myself, reading them and writing the essays.

When I went back home everyone was like "So what's your course like / how are lectures / what are your tutors like..." - Is it just me who feels that other things are a lot more integral a part of university life, i.e. the scene in general, than the academic side?
    Well for me the most crucial thing is the actual content of the course because in my case this differs completely from uni to uni. At some unis theology means comparative world religions and philosophy basically means ethics, and I didn't want that. Also he main reason I chose to apply to oxford was because of the tutorial system as I didn't really like it that much when I came to look round. If you were looking for a 'scene' then there are much livlier places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Well for me the most crucial thing is the actual content of the course because in my case this differs completely from uni to uni. At some unis theology means comparative world religions and philosophy basically means ethics, and I didn't want that. Also he main reason I chose to apply to oxford was because of the tutorial system as I didn't really like it that much when I came to look round. If you were looking for a 'scene' then there are much livlier places.

By 'scene' I don't mean so much nightlife, more 'getting involved', and from what I've seen people here seem to get a lot more involved in stuff (whether rowing, JCR politics, music) than elsewhere whilst balancing it with a (more) demanding degree. I suppose tutorials may differ subject to subject, I find them nothing more than an interesting discussion at best, but not of use academically.

As for course content, that's why I was seriously considering Sheffield over Oxford even after I'd got an offer, as my current course has a large core component of Physical Geog that I'm not a big fan of, whereas elsewhere you can have a 100% Human course. But I def don't regret coming here, the good things by far exceed the (slightly) less desirable course structure.

ReputationRep:
    The only reason I came here really was because of the course. It just has better options and focuses on the areas that I am most interested in. I find tutorials absolutely crucial; all mine are one-to-one and they are basically the most important way I have learnt so far. Other reasons were the collegiate system and the sense of community that comes with it, libraries and obviously prestige to a certain extent, but if somewhere with a decent reputation had offered a better course i would have had no problems going there instead.

ReputationRep:
    Definately the price of the pints...

ReputationRep:
    Facilities, teaching and location for me. I think the location is important as I am a city man. The idea of spending time in a countryside university scares me!

"Do you knoh wha' 'a mean man" "safe man, its been a buzzin night"

On the other hand with me having to put up with that kind of dialect every day maybe a norlfolk farmer accent will do me good.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously it's a mix of those things, but the primary thing that has put me off some perfectly good universities (with prestige and all the others) is the location. Ie. edinburgh, glasgow, uea, sheffield, birmingham - were all too far away for me to seriously consider making n application

ReputationRep:
    Most important to me in order:

(Highest importance)
    1.Course
    2.Town / Location of uni
    3.Teaching quality
    4.Uni Reputation
    5.uni architecture
    (Lowest importance)

ReputationRep:
    surely it has to be the night life. no one really goes to uni for the degree do they? i'm just going because i cant be bothered to get a job for another 4 years! having said that I still wouldn't go to one that wasnt in the top 20 or so lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by devilschild)
    surely it has to be the night life. no one really goes to uni for the degree do they? i'm just going because i cant be bothered to get a job for another 4 years! having said that I still wouldn't go to one that wasnt in the top 20 or so lol!
    I know lots of people who had that attitude - they ended up dropping out in the first year and still owe all the money from the loans they had. You are in for a shock....espcially if you make it to the second and third years....

ReputationRep:
    see, i voted other, cos i reckon as with any education establishment, its gotta be the atmosphere :

if you dont like the place, the people, the environs, the FEEL of the place, you won;t learn, no matter how good the teching and the course are, so its really important to go on open days, spend a few days hanging around, and getting a good idea of the place. i spose that kinda rolls a lot of the options into one, but it's gotta be a seperate entity.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's the people personally...

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.