Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming they'll be sent out after results day, 'cos it'd be a bit pointless at the moment, but do all unis sent them out, or is it just some?

ReputationRep:
    ucl send a reading list out to students, i think it occurs a day or two after results day. Would be nice to have it now, as i'm more likely to check out the books rather than the partying [hopefully] after results day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    ucl send a reading list out to students, i think it occurs a day or two after results day. Would be nice to have it now, as i'm more likely to check out the books rather than the partying [hopefully] after results day.
    I see, well i emailed UCL last night to request some form of reading list, still waiting for a reply...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beekeeper_)
    I see, well i emailed UCL last night to request some form of reading list, still waiting for a reply...
    I sent my email about a month ago, still waiting lol

ReputationRep:
    i emailed leeds a couple of weeks ago asking for the readin list and they emailed it to me no problem, if ud like to know earlier dont hesitate to ask the uni, im sure they wudnt mind emailing it to u!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    I'm assuming they'll be sent out after results day, 'cos it'd be a bit pointless at the moment, but do all unis sent them out, or is it just some?
    A few of my friends received their reading lists for Oxbridge before they had even taken their summer exams! But that's probably just Oxbridge :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss_buttercup)
    i emailed leeds a couple of weeks ago asking for the readin list and they emailed it to me no problem, if ud like to know earlier dont hesitate to ask the uni, im sure they wudnt mind emailing it to u!
    i think i'll email leeds to get my reading list as it's my insurance. Should be similiar to ucl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    I sent my email about a month ago, still waiting lol
    Damn, well UCL have replied to all of my emails so far, but they do have a reputation for being somewhat ignorant... I'll give them a few days :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I've also e-mailed my university for some reading list, but no reply too. I guess they are going to send them out anyway. Would it be for the whole 3 years or only the first year?

ReputationRep:
    Most people iv spoken to dont even bother reading their books on the reading list but still manage. Notts havent sent me a list, but said i need to read the Economist, FT.com, and other business/economics news which i already do, but Manchester havent. It would just be for the first yr, plus its a bit pointless doing loads of work when you may not even meet your offer.

ReputationRep:
    mine didnt give me any indication of what to read untill we arrived and got our reading packs in Freshers week. for my second year however i have a list of books to start reading in prepration, but thats slightly different as there is no easing into it on the 2nd year. They just start the lectures and get on with it.

If you are really keen get in touch with the head of your future department and ask for some general reading. But tbh any university is likely to send out something (if anything at all) after your results are published

ReputationRep:
    I have a mahoosive reading list, but i'm going to do English, so i really do need one. I've bought a few of the books already and started reading them ot try and get a head start on my course. The Old English bit looks a bit scary though. xx

ReputationRep:
    I didn't really get a proper reading list, just a few "general medical interest" books to have a look at. We still don't get proper lists, but our lecturers recommend books and papers (which I occasionally look at - going to have to do more of that next year.) Other subjects are different though.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think it's a good idea to buy all the recommended reading books or some of them?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't buy all of them, Trev - email your lecturers or second year students, and ask them which books are really relevant - in other words, the ones you're likely to use more than once!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    Do you think it's a good idea to buy all the recommended reading books or some of them?
    I wouldn't buy ANY before going up - there'll be discounts, 2nd hand sales and stuff when you get there and you'll be able to talk to people about which ones are most useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I wouldn't buy ANY before going up - there'll be discounts, 2nd hand sales and stuff when you get there and you'll be able to talk to people about which ones are most useful.
    Ok then. However, I want to prepare during my gap year though. I guess I should buy some then instead of all of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    I wouldn't buy any books whatsoever before starting a course - unless they specify that you MUST have read a certain text in advance...and even then I'd be tempted not to.

Wait until you get to uni and start studying - you'll soon realise which books you need and which books are just on the list for the hell of it....and you'll also find out which books you can get easily from the library and which books you can get cheaply second hand from other students.

University bookshops will stock ALL books on your reading list - so there'll be no need to order them specially and wait for them to arrive, you'll be able to wonder around and have a look through before deciding if you need/want them or not.
    Does the university bookshops and normal bookshops have similar/same or different prices? I guess I'll buy them from the university bookshops then since they have stock.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of module webpages will specify recommended reading...

ReputationRep:
    I got my reading list from Aston about 3 months ago. Not read anything yet like.

Come to think of it, don't know where ive put the list

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.