Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey!
    just curious...who out there is doing 4 HL's like me and why? It seems that there's a lot of people in this forum doing 4 HL's (although i thought it was a rarity!) ! I'm the only one doing 4 from my school and I know i'm taking a risk because it is unecessary for IB. Im doing history, economics, maths and chinese B HL.

ReputationRep:
    hey ya,

I'm doing Maths HL, Physics HL, English A2 HL and Economics HL and I must say its alright so far ^^...

Even though Physics is not my strongest subject, I like my composition very much !

And no, you're not the only one, at my school its about a quarter whos doing 4 HLs ^^ !

Have fun xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by water_lili)
    hey!
    just curious...who out there is doing 4 HL's like me and why? It seems that there's a lot of people in this forum doing 4 HL's (although i thought it was a rarity!) ! I'm the only one doing 4 from my school and I know i'm taking a risk because it is unecessary for IB. Im doing history, economics, maths and chinese B HL.

In total, if you counted my extra certificates, I'd have 6 HL's.

On diploma:
    HL A1 English
    HL A2 French
    HL History
    HL Chemistry

Extra Certificates:
    HL Maths
    HL Physics

ReputationRep:
    lol

how can u do Maths HL as EC??
    Do you have 10lessons a week then? You still have to do the diploma maths ^^

explain me plzz i think thats a bad joke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moser88)
    lol

how can u do Maths HL as EC??
    Do you have 10lessons a week then? You still have to do the diploma maths ^^

explain me plzz i think thats a bad joke
    I got a special approval to do SL Mathematical Studies to fulfill group 5 maths.

I'm now in AP Calculus BC. Going to HL Maths, too, but it's going to be my certificate.

I know it is unusual, but I didn't choose to do HL Maths, because I thought that I would get a 7 more easily with SL Mathematical Studies.

Sorry if it's a bit puzzling to you.

PS: If they had SL Further Maths, I would do it as an EC, too.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=IB The Great]I got a special approval to do SL Mathematical Studies to fulfill group 5 maths.

I'm now in AP Calculus BC. Going to HL Maths, too, but it's going to be my certificate.

QUOTE]

To IB the Great: You took BC Calc. in your sophomore year? At our school, its normal to take AP Calc. in 11th Grade then finish Math HL in the 12th. Does everyone at your school take Calc. their Sophomore year, or are you just a year ahead of the curve? This is the first time I've heard of such a curriculum.

P.S. If you took the AP Exam, what did you get?

ReputationRep:
    I did 4 HLs and it's totally doable. Like you, I'm the only one in my school who did it, and many times I felt it was an unnecessary risk to take. Go ahead and do it. If you don't like it, you can always convert one to SL.

BTW, IB The Great, what's the point in taking Math HL as an EC and Math Studies to fulfill your Group 5 requirement? No offense mate, but if you're taking Math HL as an EC and Math Studies as your Diploma Group 5 just because it's easier to get a 7 in studies, I think that's a shameful strategy.

ReputationRep:
    I do and I honestly never thought of it as a big deal as it's actually fairly normal in my school

ReputationRep:
    i was doing 4 HLs and everyone at my school thought i was totally crazy and over-ambitious.. then i dropped out economics HL because i missed a couple of lessons (of HL stuff which even people who were present didn't get) and was too lazy to catch up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IB The Great)
    I got a special approval to do SL Mathematical Studies to fulfill group 5 maths.

I know it is unusual, but I didn't choose to do HL Maths, because I thought that I would get a 7 more easily with SL Mathematical Studies.

Sorry if it's a bit puzzling to you.

PS: If they had SL Further Maths, I would do it as an EC, too.
    wow...so many people doing 4 HL...i dont feel special anymore

OMG!!! how do you manage?!! 6 HL?? that's just like WOAH...jeezus.. I'm having trouble with 4...and I've been neglecting Chinese...

Monii.. yeh i had a lot of trouble understanding HL economics... the first year stuff was so easy...and everyone said HL was easy...so i did it...but it's so weird...why did they take away the multiple choice??

ReputationRep:
    Monii.. yeh i had a lot of trouble understanding HL economics... the first year stuff was so easy...and everyone said HL was easy...so i did it...but it's so weird...why did they take away the multiple choice??
    well noone in my class understands HL very much... so i don't know. however SL is just sooo easy

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=jcdoughty06]
    (Original post by IB The Great)

QUOTE]

To IB the Great: You took BC Calc. in your sophomore year? At our school, its normal to take AP Calc. in 11th Grade then finish Math HL in the 12th. Does everyone at your school take Calc. their Sophomore year, or are you just a year ahead of the curve? This is the first time I've heard of such a curriculum.

P.S. If you took the AP Exam, what did you get?
    In my sophomore year. For my AP Calculus BC exam, I requested that they mail the score early, and I got a 4/5. Quite disappointing, but oh well...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rudess)
    BTW, IB The Great, what's the point in taking Math HL as an EC and Math Studies to fulfill your Group 5 requirement? No offense mate, but if you're taking Math HL as an EC and Math Studies as your Diploma Group 5 just because it's easier to get a 7 in studies, I think that's a shameful strategy.
    Yeah, I know it's a shameful strategy, but I want to get 45 points so badly so that I won't be anyhow stupid in front of my cousin, who did the IB Bilingual (English and German) diploma and got 45 points. (He got HL Maths as group 5, and SL Further Maths as group 6; so my SL STudies is no match for his diploma maths, but at least I would probably get the same score like he did and he wouldn't say that I'm stupid (he almost always says that because he attends Oxford and he aces everything... :mad: ))

ReputationRep:
    lol

what a (freaky) family ^^

no offence xD

ReputationRep:
    I did 4 highers (Maths, Physics, Chemistry and English A1) that went on the diploma (and two A1 languages) and an additional subject in vwo dutch (Biology) which would be the equivalent of Bio HL in IB & it was doable. At my school 4 highers were strongly discouraged because it's not needed and blahblah but I managed just fine, although at some point I did feel like I was drowning in all the science lab reports..

ReputationRep:
    It is nothing special in my school too. I am doing
    Latvian A1 HL
    Math HL
    Economics HL
    Chemistry HL

I am doing 7 subjects (two A1 languages) and in case something goes wong I can drop one, but I do not think I will do that unless those lab reports....;P

ReputationRep:
    for all who have finished with 4HL, do you regret doing it? (ie did it turn out well?=D) and do you think it helped you with university placements and acceptances??

ReputationRep:
    for all who have finished with 4HL, do you regret doing it? (ie did it turn out well?=D) and do you think it helped you with university placements and acceptances??
    I'm glad I did 4 Highers; my 4th one was English and I love literature but since I decided to study medicine I won't be getting much of a chance for serious literary discussions and essays and reading lots of books and stuff, so I really enjoyed doing it all one last time and it was worth it. But I know some people at my school who turned their 4th Higher into a standard because it got too much. So it all depends on the specific situation and why you're doing the extra higher.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.