Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea where to begin. I know how much loan I'm getting and how much my accomm costs, but I have no clue how much food would cost a year if I went self-catered at my insurance, or how much I need for going out etc. Can some people already at uni give me a rough idea? And how much for freshers week? Going home? Phone? Argh!!!

ReputationRep:
    Well suppose it varies from place to place and person to person. Someone who goes out alot will obviously spend more, a guide i recieved from Nottingham said on average you need at least £600 per month and that covers accom, books, going out etc. My friend at UCL spends around £1000 on everything, maybe because its in London and his parents provide him with unlimited funds. btw you dont need to worry about going to your insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john williams)
    a guide i recieved from Nottingham said on average you need at least £600 per month and that covers accom, books, going out etc.
    That's probably underestimating a little bit. I spent between £5000 and £5500 this year for the 7 or so months I was actually there, and I certainly didn't go out as much as most. If you're the kind who goes out 2 or 3 times or more a week and gets trashed each time (and there were quite a few of those at Notts) then you'll need a bit more.

Accomodation was certainly the biggest expense though, if you're lucky enough to have your parents paying for that then your student loan should be fine for everything else, unless you're a serious party animal/shopping addict!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    That's probably underestimating a little bit. I spent between £5000 and £5500 this year for the 7 or so months I was actually there, and I certainly didn't go out as much as most. If you're the kind who goes out 2 or 3 times or more a week and gets trashed each time (and there were quite a few of those at Notts) then you'll need a bit more.

Accomodation was certainly the biggest expense though, if you're lucky enough to have your parents paying for that then your student loan should be fine for everything else, unless you're a serious party animal/shopping addict!
    I'm trying to do it all without my parents help. I've saved enough to pay my own tuition fees, and my loan pays for accomm, but I just need a ballpark figure for how much you spend on going out/food/clothes a month so I can try to guage how much I need to work and save over the summer Oh, and I do go out a fair bit!

ReputationRep:
    Freshers week is evil, i spent perhaps...350quid in one week? :o:eek:

Remember buying textbooks. they can be expensive, go for second hand off second years if possible. I spent 200 quid perhaps on books i'll never have to use again!

for week to week budgeting its really hard to say. with me spending spiked consderably. from perhaps £5 a day to £80 a day (NEVER doing that again) it depends on the nights you go out, unexpected events and balls/univeristy parties and so forth.

All i would say is set a maximum weekly spending amount. a maximum you can afford to spend each week. But dont go near the maximum total and see how well you do.

Its really tempting at the start of each term to splash out a bit. i bought dvds/cds and clothes, stuff i bought not based on need. not saying you shouldn't buy a few things now and again but remember terms are 10 weeks long, i spent the last week or so of one term eating tuna straight from the tin and staying in due to having just a pile of change to live off.

I must say that i have fantastic parents who covered tutiton and accommadation for the first year. i managed not to have an overdraft but still manged to spend almost all my money. so £2700-£3000 accommadation total, plus £1050 tution plus £1000 loan. expensive business!

ReputationRep:
    holy **** thats so much money!!!!!

i'll be lucky if i have a few hundred a month..
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Have your uni given you any money guides yet?! I think quite a lot of them do.

Find out how much it costs for a return train ticket home. I went home about once each term, but some people went more and some people didn't go at all! So probably budget for about twice, then you can spend the extra on shoes if you go less.

Everyone seems to say about £100 on Fresher's week as you go out lots.

Food is about £30-50 a week if you go self catered. You can do it for a lot less if you try though.

This guide to budgeting might help

ReputationRep:
    Luckily, the alcohol fairy doesn't wave her wand to tempt me, so i think i'll be fine during freshers week (hopefully).

I've chosen to go en-suite, so i have to make loads of sacrifices....but i dont really plan on making a proper budget until after august the 18th (i'm a pessimist!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    I'm trying to do it all without my parents help. I've saved enough to pay my own tuition fees, and my loan pays for accomm, but I just need a ballpark figure for how much you spend on going out/food/clothes a month so I can try to guage how much I need to work and save over the summer Oh, and I do go out a fair bit!
    Freshers Week, I'd day about £100-£200, and you'll need to buy books around that time as well (maybe another £50-£100 depending on how many you need and whether you can get them second hand)

I spent about £25-35 in a typical week, including going out once, but I'm a lightweight and didn't need to spend much on alcohol. Although alcohol does seem to get cheaper the further north you go...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help everyone Keep the advice coming!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    Although alcohol does seem to get cheaper the further north you go...
    I hate Reading in that respect. Evil drink prices. All the girls at uni are very classy and drink lambrini by the litre now :cool:

ReputationRep:
    if you get drunk before hitting the pubs and clubs it would be much cheaper aswell! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    I hate Reading in that respect. Evil drink prices. All the girls at uni are very classy and drink lambrini by the litre now :cool:
    My friend from Reading thinks Nottingham is WAY cheap. From what she says, the prices in Reading are ridiculous. Coming from Manchester, Nottingham actually seems more expensive... but that could just be the dingy places we hang out in back home!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    My cousin lives in Reading, I think it's dirt cheap when I go there! Though I;m coming from London I guess. Surely Reading's not much more expensive than Bristol though?

ReputationRep:
    My cousin lives in Reading, I think it's dirt cheap when I go there! Though I;m coming from London I guess. Surely Reading's not much more expensive than Bristol though?
    Bristol used to be ok, but lately its got increasingly expensive so its not much different from Reading now. Reading is fine if you go out on student nights/stick to weatherspoons et al, but you can spend a lot of money!

ReputationRep:
    here is a little budget plan thing.. dont know if its particulalry helpful but it gives an outline! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    Bristol used to be ok, but lately its got increasingly expensive so its not much different from Reading now. Reading is fine if you go out on student nights/stick to weatherspoons et al, but you can spend a lot of money!
    If a double vodka redbull is under a tenner, I consider it an achievement!

ReputationRep:
    well a pitcher of dble vodka red bull is only about £6 in weathers

ReputationRep:
    mmm i love those pitchers. I also love Wetherspoons. I'll be coming to Nottingham from Surrey, so it will seem cheaper to me.

My loan is going on my accomm and my parents are covering my fees.
    My parents then decided to give me the money they would normally spend on me being in the house, which they worked out with food and bills etc to be £200 a month. (The benefits of being an only child)

So i would have £50 spending money a week, without going into any savings. That's a little less than what i live on now, but i think i'll be going out more. I'm trying to get a job in Nottingham so that i can try and save money whilst at uni for expensive things like cars and holidays. I don't really mind working in the term time in the first year, and i will double my weekly budget if i do. Hopefully i can save some money over the holidays as well, which should cover my fresher's week, i want about £200 for that.

I've started buying my books now, so that shouldn't be a problem, i've been getting cheap second hand ones off Amazon, and one book i got brand new for 1p! I'm trying to get books i know i will need now, to try and spread out the spending. xx

ReputationRep:
    If a double vodka redbull is under a tenner, I consider it an achievement!
    *faints*

A pitcher (which I think is 4 shots) at Wetherspoons is £4.80 in Cambridge. Not that I drink VRB, it's mank.

You can get by on ~£20 a week for food if you go for supermarket brand stuff, don't buy lots of ready meals and are prepared to eat a lot of pasta/rice. Meat, except bacon, is usually expensive so start looking at a few veggie meals.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.