Turn on thread page Beta

What is the general difference between Oxford and Cambridge? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm American. I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna begins)
    Erm, they're about 100 miles away from each other, and the city of Oxford is bigger!!! There are some differences; for example, Cambridge offers the tripos system for undergraduate courses, whereas Oxford offers more constructed joint degrees such as PPE. However, I personally think the differences are fairly superficial; they are more alike than they are different.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Erm, they're about 100 miles away from each other, and the city of Oxford is bigger!!! There are some differences; for example, Cambridge offers the tripos system for undergraduate courses, whereas Oxford offers more constructed joint degrees such as PPE. However, I personally think the differences are fairly superficial; they are more alike than they are different.

Are the social/cultural perceptions different for both? In America, Harvard is generally considered to be prep. Mens' suit stores line the streets around the campus and the environment is much more formal. In contrast, Yale is considered to be funky. Students attend class in t-shirts and torn jeans.... Both are considered to be great schools though.

ReputationRep:
    Are the social/cultural perceptions different for both? In America, Harvard is generally considered to be prep. Mens' suit stores line the streets around the campus and the environment is much more formal. In contrast, Yale is considered to be funky. Students attend class in t-shirts and torn jeans.... Both are considered to be great schools though.
    I'd say its pretty much the same. Both are very traditional universities and both operate a collegiate system. I know everyone in my lectures always turns up dressed casually so that isn't really an issue. There are a fair amount of suit shops in Oxford but there are in Cambridge too; that's just because of the history of both places, and also due to the abundance of formal events. This is just an opinion but I'd say Cambridge is slightly more middle class than Oxford, but I may be slightly biased.

ReputationRep:
    accademically Oxford is known to be good at Arts (politics etc...) where cambridge is known to be slightly better at Sciences.
    I think cambridge's courses r more flexible because of its tripos system...

ReputationRep:
    There's alot more Americans in Oxford too, right? I think Oxford has quite a name in America, whereas Cambridge will only be be known by the academics? However, by those who do know it, it will probably be higher rated through its association with MIT, maybe?

ReputationRep:
    I think its all pretty much the same to be honest. Yes i think there are slightly more Americans in Oxford, but Oxford has links with Yale and Stanford just like Cambridge has links with MIT.

ReputationRep:
    I think its all pretty much the same to be honest. Yes i think there are slightly more Americans in Oxford, but Oxford has links with Yale and Stanford just like Cambridge has links with MIT.

It's just I ask my american family and friends, and they've all heard of Oxford, but very phew of Cambridge. Agreed about the links to Stanford/Yale though.

ReputationRep:
    Heh I just showed the entrance requirements for int'l students to an American friend of mine, who I think does pretty well at school. She says the 1400 minimum SAT score is insanely high?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Heh I just showed the entrance requirements for int'l students to an American friend of mine, who I think does pretty well at school. She says the 1400 minimum SAT score is insanely high?
    Well AAA at A Level is, I suppose, insanely high. And it will be similar to the required scores for entrance to the Ivies, I presume?

ReputationRep:
    Well AAA at A Level is, I suppose, insanely high. And it will be similar to the required scores for entrance to the Ivies, I presume?

Is it not true that around 10% of students get AAA now though? I just checked, you're right, it's around the same, although Oxford's "minimum" is at the top end of Harvard's "range". I imagine truth is though that many int'l applicants have much higher than this minimum.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.