Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what the minimum length of time you can join for is. If i dont get into uni this year i would like to join the kings troop or household calvalry and then after uni i want to be a vet/ doctor in the army(depending on whether i get into veterinary as medicine is my 2nd choice) after uni.

ReputationRep:
    if u go to the website rafcareers.com its on there i think

if not order a brochure about all the careers, it tells you in there
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by scaredashell)
    Does anyone know what the minimum length of time you can join for is. If i dont get into uni this year i would like to join the kings troop or household calvalry and then after uni i want to be a vet/ doctor in the army(depending on whether i get into veterinary as medicine is my 2nd choice) after uni.
    I'm confused; you want to join the Cavalry, but only if you don't get into uni; but if you do, you want to be either a vet or a doctor? What do you intend to do in the Cavalry without a degree?

Phone a careers office and ask for the Army section; they'll tell you the minimum requirement to serve.

ReputationRep:
    i think its mostly a minimum of 6 years or something.
    It was on a website my friend was on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    I'm confused; you want to join the Cavalry, but only if you don't get into uni; but if you do, you want to be either a vet or a doctor? What do you intend to do in the Cavalry without a degree?

Phone a careers office and ask for the Army section; they'll tell you the minimum requirement to serve.
    If i dont get into uni this year i would like to join the calvalry just as a normal soldier then wen i do go to uni i want to do veterinary medicine or medicine then join afterwards as a vet or doc. I already contacted the careers office about joining after uni, i was just wondering if i had to take a gap year could i join for a year then go back at a later date once i had a degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaredashell)
    If i dont get into uni this year i would like to join the calvalry just as a normal soldier then wen i do go to uni i want to do veterinary medicine or medicine then join afterwards as a vet or doc. I already contacted the careers office about joining after uni, i was just wondering if i had to take a gap year could i join for a year then go back at a later date once i had a degree.
    Although the Armed Forces are becoming more and more sympathetic to modern society, I'm afraid they don't cater for gap years just yet. Generally speaking there's a minimum commitment of three years upon completion of training. This does vary depending on the job you're going for, but it's a pretty good rule of thumb.

Your approach doesn't seem to make an awful lot of sense to me either... do you want to be a doctor, a vet, or a trooper? If you applied to any of the Corps/Regiments you are thinking of with this philosophy I don't think they'd be over impressed. They would expect a level of commitment and dedication that doesn't stop once term time starts :rolleyes:

If you want to go to uni, then do just that... the Army will still be there when you finish, and I'm sure you'll have notification of whether you're in or not pretty soon.

If you don't get into uni this year, then there's always the TA. This would give you the insight you want without the long term commitment. (I'm not 100% sure, but I think they can also help you along the way to UOTC too).

Before you do anything though, go and visit your local AFCO. The guys in there will advise you on your best course of action without obligation.

HTH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by REME-Bod)
    Before you do anything though, go and visit your local AFCO. The guys in there will advise you on your best course of action without obligation.

HTH
    Thanks, i hadnt really thought of the TA, i will look into it further.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.