Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Phew, it’s all over. Just did STEP II this morning.

I really don't know how well I did. I know that you have to get something like 70 points to get a grade 1.

Does anyone know what the grade boundaries for STEP II were last year?
    The trouble is, I completed 3 questions (relatively scruffily, but to completion and presumably correctly), one large partial and two small partials.
    What I really want to know is what marks I am likely to get for the questions I completed.

Do you automatically get 20 marks for a question completed satisfactorily, or is that reserved for only very clear and concise solutions?
    And what about one answered almost to completion but impossible to finish (without a calculator) due to what must be a calculation error earlier in my solution.

Whether you think I scraped through or failed miserably, I'll be glad to know what you think so that I can put my mind to rest.

ReputationRep:
    yea io foudn it quite alright i answere 5 completely tho i think a few final solutions were rong, did u do 1 and 3 the other day mate?

ReputationRep:
    do you mean STEP I & STEP III?
    If so, yeah I did STEP III on Wednesday. I think I did fine; what about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heihachi)
    Do you automatically get 20 marks for a question completed satisfactorily, or is that reserved for only very clear and concise solutions?
    And what about one answered almost to completion but impossible to finish (without a calculator) due to what must be a calculation error earlier in my solution.
    Apparently you automatically get full marks if you get the correct solution at the end. They give proportionally more credit to complete answers than if you did many incomplete answers.
    Fraid thats all I know tho, I was pretty much going into the exam blind - I had no idea what it was going to be like!!
    I found Step I on wed fairly alright, Step II was ok for the questions I could do, but I felt limited as to the questions I could answer as I have only done an AS further maths. AEA this afternoon wasn't great, as again I couldnt do all of the questions, and this time you're expected to do them all. I think for this one it was more of a case of having forgotten stuff since my other exams, rather than not knowing it tho.
    Anyways - I'm off to prepare for my leavers ball!! 6 hrs of exams and a ball in one day - don't do it!! Fi x

ReputationRep:
    Too late, I already did it last year; well sort of.
    6 exams in one day. Despite the fact that I was sitting down the whole time, I was physically exhausted by the end of it.

Automatically get 20 marks for a correct complete answer! That's brilliant news. Can anyone else confirm this?
    It's not that I don't trust you *fil, it's just that I am a little neurotic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *FiL)
    I found Step I on wed fairly alright, Step II was ok for the questions I could do, but I felt limited as to the questions I could answer as I have only done an AS further maths. AEA this afternoon wasn't great, as again I couldnt do all of the questions, and this time you're expected to do them all. I think for this one it was more of a case of having forgotten stuff since my other exams, rather than not knowing it tho.
    I'm the exact opposite. For STEP II I just ended up aimlessly flitting from question to question because I just couldn't find a question that I could make any menaingful progress on (I'd call myself stupid, because I feel it). The AEA was brilliant though! I was especially surprised because I was so tired and dejected ater the STEP paper.

Ahh well. At least I can be certain that I'm not going to Cambridge. If only my grandma hadn't told everyone, assuming that I would be able to do STEP - she will be humiliated :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Aw, and I really got my hopes up.
    The news that an imperfect complete answer automatically earns you 20 marks was great, but then no one is able to confirm this.
    Is there anyone out there that can confirm this?

ReputationRep:
    i found step 1 ok, and step 3 rather tough to be quite honest, but im off to do physics os i have an excuss im not a maths boff. step 2 went the best for me, i hope i didnt do to poorly in them all

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 1, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.