Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone believe that an ASBO is a good way to control crime, yes it does stop people from filling up our jails but why dont the government favour more community service, a way they can pay back what they have done.

And is it the same where you live that all teenagers are being discriminated against, the local press here are calling for bans on teenagers leaving at night. WHAT ARE WE SUPPOSED TO DO!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Courty)
    Does anyone believe that an ASBO is a good way to control crime, yes it does stop people from filling up our jails but why dont the government favour more community service, a way they can pay back what they have done.

And is it the same where you live that all teenagers are being discriminated against, the local press here are calling for bans on teenagers leaving at night. WHAT ARE WE SUPPOSED TO DO!!!
    Blanket bans are idiotic. However i fully support Asbos - if you want to act like an ass, then society treats you like one .... reap the whirlwind.

ReputationRep:
    ASBOs are good in theory, but whether or not they work in practice is another question althogether.
    There does seem to be growing sentiment against them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beekeeper_)
    ASBOs are good in theory, but whether or not they work in practice is another question althogether.
    There does seem to be growing sentiment against them.
    I must admit I dont know the nitty gritty - but I certainly dont have the objections that others have on principle... "it bullys the kids"... "we need to give them rec centres, its because theyre bored"...

Screw em... if you make people's lives a misery and subject them to violence ... you get off lightly with an ASBO... would be better to draft them into the military.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    I must admit I dont know the nitty gritty - but I certainly dont have the objections that others have on principle... "it bullys the kids"... "we need to give them rec centres, its because theyre bored"...

Screw em... if you make people's lives a misery and subject them to violence ... you get off lightly with an ASBO... would be better to draft them into the military.
    Precisely.
    If someone goes around terrorising a neighbourhood, then I certainly couldn't give a toss about their "right" to be there.

It is debatable whether or not they actually work though, I'll give them a little more time but there isn't really much evidence to support their use, and there is a general sentiment that it's "cool" to have an ASBO...

Good for the neighbourhood in question but they are difficult to enforce, and they don't really seem to be scaring offenders enough.

How can people constantly stand up for the rights of dangerous offenders when they don't respond to the nice, liberal forms of punishment? sometimes it is neccessary to take bold moves to hit the message home.
    I say we give ASBOs another year, and then assess the need for them.

And whoever mentioned it, i also support community service, it should be used a lot more...

ReputationRep:
    if you want to act like an ass, then society treats you like one .... reap the whirlwind.
    What a simplistic attitude. You think 10 year old kids who have grown up in an environment where right and wrong merge and wherethere are no youth facilities should be punished for their misfortune? You think people like elderly protester Lindis Percy should get them because apparantly she annoyed locals when she demonstrated at a military base?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    I don't really have a problem with ASBOs but reading into it more fully made me think slightly differently. For example, someone can be issued an ASBO upon Hearsay evidence and was once used in civil courts. However, in breach of an ASBO will result in custody despite not actually being a criminal sentence. And the burden of proof is certainly not beyond reasonable doubt. Why can't they be tried in a criminal way and be given an exclusion order or something similar to ASBOs I don't know. There are plenty of remedies available since the enactment of the Powers of the Criminal Courts (Sentencing) Act 2000.

ReputationRep:
    Absbo's are only a short term solution, we should be looking at preventing crimes, not just dealing with the consequences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    What a simplistic attitude. You think 10 year old kids who have grown up in an environment where right and wrong merge and wherethere are no youth facilities should be punished for their misfortune? You think people like elderly protester Lindis Percy should get them because apparantly she annoyed locals when she demonstrated at a military base?
    I think that 10 year old children know the difference between right and wrong. You think they have no responsibility for their own actions?

Are there are things that need tobe done? Sure... so what? We also need to protect innocent members of society...

Its not like Asbos are that draconian - cant go to certain areas at certain times, and cant associate with certain people... small price to pay for the security and peace of mind of all.

ReputationRep:
    May i ask why so many people shove an apostrophe in "ASBOs"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KdySk8rGirl)
    Absbo's are only a short term solution, we should be looking at preventing crimes, not just dealing with the consequences.

We should be looking at both.

Since when is a holistic solution a bad one?

ReputationRep:
    Its not like Asbos are that draconian - cant go to certain areas at certain times, and cant associate with certain people... small price to pay for the security and peace of mind of all.
    Names and faces printed in the papers. Demonising children who already feel resentful of a system which has let them down. No I do not believe we can expect 10 year olds who have been brought up in poverty and ignorance to recognise right and wrong like you and I.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    Names and faces printed in the papers. Demonising children who already feel resentful of a system which has let them down. No I do not believe we can expect 10 year olds who have been brought up in poverty and ignorance to recognise right and wrong like you and I.
    "like you and I"? What does that mean? That they dont know throwing rocks at cars or attacking people is wrong?

Hardly... they know damn well its wrong, and if they dont, then one way to prevent them from doing it is to offer them a sanction that makes it worth their while to avoid it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)

What exactly will that achieve other than encourage the kids to o what they do now more frequently and when they grow up of a more serious nature. That kind of short term policy is neither beneficial for the kids nor for the community of people who get the abuse. It wont stop it thats for sure..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)
    What exactly will that achieve other than encourage the kids to o what they do now more frequently and when they grow up of a more serious nature. That kind of short term policy is neither beneficial for the kids nor for the community of people who get the abuse. It wont stop it thats for sure..
    What does it achieve? Prevents the behaviour that is making the lives of people in the community a misery.

It wont benefit the community? Better tell that to them seeing as most of them are in favour of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    What does it achieve? Prevents the behaviour that is making the lives of people in the community a misery.

It wont benefit the community? Better tell that to them seeing as most of them are in favour of them.
    No it wont prevent behaviour in fact it will encourage them to commit more serious crimes. Why? because it becomes 'cool' after that. Im amazed as to how people like yourself seem to see only the short term side of the things and never engage in discussing why these kids do what they do. Is it only a coincidence that the majority are poor and uneducated kids? Or do you care only for the other half of society?

ReputationRep:
    No it wont prevent behaviour in fact it will encourage them to commit more serious crimes. Why?because it becomes 'cool' after that.
    Huh? THey are restricted, and if they breach it, they face further sanctions. I cant really believe that ASBOs are seriously going to PROMOTE bad behaviour... thats just ridiculous.

Im amazed as to how people like yourself seem to see only the short term side of the things and never engage in discussing why these kids do what they do. Is it only a coincidence that the majority are poor and uneducated kids? Or do you care only for the other half of society?
    Jesus... do you ever stop being like this? Read up - I have already said other things need to be done long term ... see? Read? Right... so please stop implying I dont recognise that fact...

What "half of society" are you referring to? Many of the people in favour of ASBOs and who benefit from them are precisely the other "half" of people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    I cant really believe that ASBOs are seriously going to PROMOTE bad behaviour... thats just ridiculous.
    They don't, not in any way do they promote trouble-making.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beekeeper_)
    They don't, not in any way do they promote trouble-making.
    Apparently they make it "cool"?

"I wasnt going to throw rocks at people, but now that they are giving out ASBOs, and restricting my freedom if I do, I gotta get me a pice of that! It makes me cool!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Apparently they make it "cool"?

"I wasnt going to throw rocks at people, but now that they are giving out ASBOs, and restricting my freedom if I do, I gotta get me a pice of that! It makes me cool!"
    You have no idea do you...nah they all sit together and say 'come on guys lets stop vandalising bus stops, insulting old ladies and stop making noise because we are being a bit annoying now, lets go and play chess'

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 8, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.