Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Erm, well, to be honest I doubt how credible this thread is. The chances of a council allowing someone to go 2 years without any form of education is pretty unlikely. Parents get jailed just for letting their kids play truant. Missing school entirely for a whole 2 years and it just being ignored? Not likely. What did the school do? Just forget that you ever joined it? C'mon. Get real. If you're actually being serious then I apologise profusely, but as there's no way we'll ever know whether you are or not I can't give you more than that. And don't anyone try and quote this saying "How dare you write that when you don't know his situation!?" because I'm not going to believe him just because he says so.

Also, if the guy's actually telling the truth then there's no way he'd even be able to handle further education. If GCSEs were difficult enough to concentrate on that he just gave up, then A levels are pretty much out of the question. And a degree? Heh, good luck mate. I don't want to seem overly harsh here, but seriously, if you can't hack GCSEs at school normally then there's no point sugar coating the truth and telling you you're going to get a bunch of qualifications just by taking night classes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smooie)
    actually ill refeer you to the brighton and hove council, i tryed to get into a school numerous times but they did F'all about it, as for ADHD and ADD no i do not have either
    ADHD and ADD are the same things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NSiky)
    Erm, well, to be honest I doubt how credible this thread is. The chances of a council allowing someone to go 2 years without any form of education is pretty unlikely. Parents get jailed just for letting their kids play truant. Missing school entirely for a whole 2 years and it just being ignored? Not likely. What did the school do? Just forget that you ever joined it? C'mon. Get real. If you're actually being serious then I apologise profusely, but as there's no way we'll ever know whether you are or not I can't give you more than that. And don't anyone try and quote this saying "How dare you write that when you don't know his situation!?" because I'm not going to believe him just because he says so.
    I doubt anyone is sad enough to conjure up something like this, I think you're just being too critical... Lay off him, is he [i]is[/b] making this up, then he is one sad bugger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Have you thought about doing a vocational course, such as an NVQ/GNVQ? A lot of FE colleges offer them and will let you on to the entry level/Foundation course with no GCSEs, then you can work your way up. I'd recommend taking English (language) and maths at GCSE as well because they're needed for a lot of jobs, but unless you want to do A-levels, there's no point taking more. Phone your local college and ask if you can go along to talk through your options with someone. Most have classes for those who didn't get Cs in English and maths and need to resit, so you could just join those, but you'd have to do the coursework from scratch. You could then progress from an NVQ/GNVQ to a BTEC or something similar, then maybe even to university to do an HNC/HND.

Oh, and can I just say to some of the people who've posted their 'advice' on this thread, lay off! Admittedly going to a crap school and being bullied are things a lot of people experience and not good enough reasons to quit education, especially since there was the option to change schools or be taught at home, but at least the original poster now wants to get back in education and make something of their life. Would you prefer they just sat on their backside and lived off benefits? :rolleyes:
    To add to this, if you want to do any vocational qualfications, you could start off with a level 1 or 2 vocational qualification first (e.g. NVQ level 1 or 2, BTEC first/introductory diploma), then you could move onto level 3 or above along with your GCSEs.

Here are some vocational qualifications you might be interested (I posted different links, as you might be following one of the exam boards):

BTECs - http://www.edexcel.org.uk/quals/entry/ http://www.edexcel.org.uk/quals/first/ http://www.edexcel.org.uk/quals/nat/

NVQ - http://www.edexcel.org.uk/quals/nvq/ http://www.ocr.org.uk/OCR/WebSite/do...milyOID=&Go=Go

GNVQ - http://www.edexcel.org.uk/quals/gnvq/ http://www.ocr.org.uk/OCR/WebSite/do...milyOID=&Go=Go

vGCSE - http://www.edexcel.org.uk/quals/gcse-voc/ http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/vgcse.html http://www.ocr.org.uk/OCR/WebSite/do...milyOID=&Go=Go
    http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gnvqf.html http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gnvqi.html

If you want to go to university you could either do A-levels (as I said before, that is the traditional route to university). Alternatively, you could do a BTEC National Certifiate/Diploma. Some students use this vocational qualification to apply to universties.

ReputationRep:
    You have ADHD? That's no excuse to miss two years of schooling, I'm sorry. I know someone who sufferes from severe ADHD and Dyslexia (both interrelated) and he had a horrible time at school, particularly because the school he attended did not know how to deal and give support to students with ADHD... As for the bullying, this is a tough issue to address, however I'm sure alternative placement must've been an option at the time? Sorry if I sound like I'm being mean it just strikes me though you took the easy way out of education.
    Hmm...you were quite critical yourself, being honest...Perhaps he is making it up that he didn't go to school for two years because he feels embarrassed that he didn't pass any of his GCSEs or didn't do well enough in them to go to college. Maybe he took them normally but just didn't succeed and feels the need to improvise with a story whereby he feels this would be credible. Personally I believe him though, he seems genuine enough.

ReputationRep:
    Why do some of you think he is making this situation up? I don't think it's made up.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's made up either, I think some can't quite fathom that other people may not be quite as intelligent as them.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus trev! Do you live on this forum? Look at your post count....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhivago)
    No I don't live on this forum. Other people have higher post count than me.

ReputationRep:
    Insensitive thing to say... What she just said has connotations with having no life of reality / having no friends / "being cocooned in an inate state whereby you have friends". I wish she'd give up on all this "I'VE GOT MATES - YOU HAVEN'T" polava.

ReputationRep:
    Insensitive thing to say... What she just said has connotations with having no life of reality / having no friends / "being cocooned in an inate state whereby you have friends". I wish she'd give up on all this "I'VE GOT MATES - YOU HAVEN'T" polava.
    You must be having a ****ing laugh! I can't stress how much you irritate me, you interfering little boy. You honestly do not know what you're talking about.

Trev, I didn't mean to cause offence mate. It was meant in jest, twasn't having a go. :p: To be honest, you're the most helpful memeber on here probably from what I've seen thus far. (And before Shamen butts in again, I'm not brown-nosing here). Did you win that competition thing they had a while ago?

ReputationRep:
    Trev, I didn't mean to cause offence mate. It was meant in jest, twasn't having a go. :p: To be honest, you're the most helpful memeber on here probably from what I've seen thus far. (And before Shamen butts in again, I'm not brown-nosing here). Did you win that competition thing they had a while ago?
    I know you are not offending me, and I know it's a jest. Thanks for the compliment.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with a lot of people on hear you can certanly easily get into Uni as a mature student even. Simply take at your College: Maths, English, Science and take something like a GNVQ Intermediate in ICT that's instantly worth 4 GCSE's just from the GNVQ. You can then move through your A/S and A2's and into Uni you go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ste)
    I agree with a lot of people on hear you can certanly easily get into Uni as a mature student even. Simply take at your College: Maths, English, Science and take something like a GNVQ Intermediate in ICT that's instantly worth 4 GCSE's just from the GNVQ. You can then move through your A/S and A2's and into Uni you go
    Although over 19 you will have to pay for your college fees for A Levels

ReputationRep:
    But you would get some form of benefit to help support surely. Full Time Education?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ste)
    But you would get some form of benefit to help support surely. Full Time Education?
    Prob depends on the households financial situation, still have to find a fair amount of cash i reckon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    The tech mod has about 20,000 i believe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smooie)
    Hey just joined here and im in a bit of a pickle im trying to get into collage after having missed 2 years of School (including any/all studying for GCSE's)
    now im stuck, i have "left it to late" and im really stuck, i have only just turned 16 and im still living with my mother child "support" is soon to be cut off and i have no collage or job no GCSE's and any/all jobs ive tryed need a certain knowlage of maths(of witch i cant do to save my life)

if anyone has any helpfull suggestions please post?
    thanks!
    you can go to a technical college and take some GCSE's there or do a hairdressing / beauty therapy / joinery / engineering courses or whichever courses you want, many accept people who have not passed many or any GCSE's good luck xoxo

ReputationRep:
    You must be having a ****ing laugh! I can't stress how much you irritate me, you interfering little boy. You honestly do not know what you're talking about.

You have a beautiful name Hannah Jane Like the signnature, but what's wrong with Shamen?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markus)
    You have a beautiful name Hannah Jane Like the signnature, but what's wrong with Shamen?
    I annoy her, greatly. *grins*

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.