Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparklyteacosie)
    If you are going to use it loads and can't be bothered to change your bank to get one free then you could pay for one. All you need to do is go to your local train station with all the stuff and you can get it there and then. I have one and have made back the £20 I paid from just a few train journeys. It is worth having one but if you can get one for free why not get it for free.
    I think that's what i was trying to say...but you phrased it a lot better! i have a YP card but only cos i was travelling to Sheffield every weekend. But i'm still getting the free 5 year one in september

ReputationRep:
    I think it's worth it, i've examined the accounts and think generally that Natwest is best for me anyway, which is great because then i get the railcard too.

I don't think you can open a student bank account now, Natwest told me i couldn't until i was enrolled at the university. xx

ReputationRep:
    Im with HSBC and wont be changing, today i recieved a letter from them saying if you are going to uni they will either give you a free MP3 player or 10 CD's of your choice, and iv sent it off for the MP3, however it says you get it over the summer and you dont have to wait until you go to uni, so maybe i could end up just opening a Natwest one and also getting the railcard, as i tend to travel around the uk in the holidays to sprots/music events and to visit relatives.

tip
    open up lots of student accounts.
    i did....
    muahhhaha
    (barclays are good only for overdrafts, natwest now is only one for railcard i think - hsbc stopped)

ReputationRep:
    I am the resident railfan here (enter the letters in my avatar into google and look at what company you get)

If you are going to do a journey worth at least £60 get one because you will make your money back. If you are doing lots of little journeys worth £16 plus and they will total above £60 get one.

Also the before 9:30am minimum fare restrictions are lifted in July and August so if you are visiting any relatives/friends/etc, get one or the railway companies will be the ones who are laughing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kirsten)
    I know you can't use it on the Heathrow express not sure about stansted nothing is said on the site.
    yeah, that's why I'm not sure either - I mean it's a train alright, but well... it's an express train and I've had bad experiences trying to use student cards on express trains before...

(Original post by xXMessedUpXx)
    I think that's what i was trying to say...but you phrased it a lot better! i have a YP card but only cos i was travelling to Sheffield every weekend. But i'm still getting the free 5 year one in september
    I would be so poor if I didn't have my YP railcard!! I rarely make trips that cost a large sum of money (few long trips per year plus shorter trips to manchester a few times a year) but I do save a lot on local journeys as I make them frequently!! I do love my railcard..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparklyteacosie)
    I would be so poor if I didn't have my YP railcard!! I rarely make trips that cost a large sum of money (few long trips per year plus shorter trips to manchester a few times a year) but I do save a lot on local journeys as I make them frequently!! I do love my railcard..
    Can we use the rail card on the wirral lines too? or is it just for big journeys?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carla18)
    Can we use the rail card on the wirral lines too? or is it just for big journeys?
    There could be time restrictions, but i had one last yr which i used on big journies i.e. midlands to Manchester and local companies/routes.

(Original post by carla18)
    It can be used on the wirral line. That is mainly what I have mine for..so I can get to chester every week for £2.10 rather than £3.60. Today I went to Liverpool and saved 70p It all adds up though!!!

ReputationRep:
    Best tip I can give new students is if you are going to be travelling and you get offered the four year rail card as an incentive to open a student account take it.
    I had the money instead stupidly and it would have been so much more of a saving for me to have the rail card.

ReputationRep:
    On the leaflet it says that you don't have to wait until your exam results come out to open an account. I would open one now to be more organised and prepared, but i still would like to know that im certainly going to uni before i do open any student account...so i'll wait

Has anybody heard of the NX2 card provided by National Express? It's similar to the rail card, only it's for coach travel not train!

http://www.nationalexpress.com/save/nx2.cfm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john williams)
    Im with HSBC and wont be changing, today i recieved a letter from them saying if you are going to uni they will either give you a free MP3 player or 10 CD's of your choice, and iv sent it off for the MP3, however it says you get it over the summer and you dont have to wait until you go to uni, so maybe i could end up just opening a Natwest one and also getting the railcard, as i tend to travel around the uk in the holidays to sprots/music events and to visit relatives.

i reckon i'll do the same, HSBC is just convient 4 me, my auntie is like a manager of Barcalys and is constantly trying to get me rtoo switch but they reall y are not student friendly, so to speak

ReputationRep:
    It's the main reason for me switching, but not the only one.

NatWest is usually perceived as the student bank, as it were. There's a dedicated student branch at Edinburgh, which'll help.

I don't quite understand why UCAS are sending all that though. I got it today.

ReputationRep:
    so is it easy to have both a hsbc and a natwest student account, as i prefer hsbc but i want a railcard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imaad)
    so is it easy to have both a hsbc and a natwest student account, as i prefer hsbc but i want a railcard
    If you're able to pay £20 a year for it, then pick hsbc not natwest if you feel more comfortable with them....actually, why not both???

It's been done before

ReputationRep:
    I opened an HSBC account with a railcard before going to uni last year. I don't make long journeys at all but I've saved a fair amount with it so far. And if I've saved £20-£30 this year then thats £150 I'll save over 5 years.

Most student accounts have something on the form saying "I will only have one student bank account". What people don't realise is that they can carry on using their normal current account as well as the student accoutn as they come under different catagories. I opened the HSBC one purely for the railcard and I haven't touched it other than that.

Personally I would go for a railcard over an MP3 player. I'm assuming that the mp3 is something with small memory on it like 128 or 256? Which are worth about £30 compared to the railcard!!

ReputationRep:
    hi
    yep i got the letter too....unsure of what to do but I think seeing as I'm with HSBC now, I'll stay....and get the MP3 player and then just buy a railcard for the year. It's not expensive. And living in the channel islands, i don't really need one for 5 years!
    Plus HSBC give you a 1 year interest free overdraft (not sure if Natwest is the same!?) - this will be well appreciated!
    ok so having been unsure of what to do two minutes ago, I am now convinced I shall stay with HSBC!
    Laura
    xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Well it's a 5 year railcard, so 5*£20. But would you need a railcard?! Do you use trains that much (or will you at uni)?

Natwest also has the biggest overdraft, and there's a Natwest on more campus' than any other bank
    a railcard can often pay for itself in one journey though, so even if you just go somewhere once - home, to visit a friend, to a concert - it's worth getting one.

for example, to visit my boyfriend in leicester a normal return is £40-50. with my railcard i can get one for £21.

i will definitely be getting one, i already use mine loads. i THINK that if you have one already the 5 year one starts when your current one expires, so it is worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau200)
    hi
    yep i got the letter too....unsure of what to do but I think seeing as I'm with HSBC now, I'll stay....and get the MP3 player and then just buy a railcard for the year. It's not expensive. And living in the channel islands, i don't really need one for 5 years!
    Plus HSBC give you a 1 year interest free overdraft (not sure if Natwest is the same!?) - this will be well appreciated!
    ok so having been unsure of what to do two minutes ago, I am now convinced I shall stay with HSBC!
    Laura
    xx
    A one year interest free overdraft??? AVOID AVOID AVOID!!!

My HSBC account gives me £1000 this year and then it goes up by £250 every year that you're at uni. So next year it will be £1250. Avoid anything that says you've got to pay it back at the end of each year as if you're anything like me you won't have the money to pay it back until you've earnt some over the summer!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.