Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Yes, so lets now invade Zimbabwe, Congo, and North Korea.
    I'm assuming that was oh so witty sarcasm, I'm not saying it was the right thing to do to start a war with Iraq but the decision has been made and whats done is done, we cant bring back the innocent people that were killed but I do think the fact that the Iraqi's can now live in freedom without the fear of Saddam returning is very good, they'll have their own democratic country where they can vote and live in peace and freedom and thats so so so much better than what they had under Saddam.

As I say, war wasnt necessarily the right thing to do, its an extremely difficult subject and its extremely difficult to justify the civilian deaths but it is brilliant that Saddam will be brought to justice for the evil he has done and that people of free of his reign of terror.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Albion)
    I'm assuming that was oh so witty sarcasm, I'm not saying it was the right thing to do to start a war with Iraq but the decision has been made and whats done is done, we cant bring back the innocent people that were killed but I do think the fact that the Iraqi's can now live in freedom without the fear of Saddam returning is very good, they'll have their own democratic country where they can vote and live in peace and freedom and thats so so so much better than what they had under Saddam.

As I say, war wasnt necessarily the right thing to do, its an extremely difficult subject and its extremely difficult to justify the civilian deaths but it is brilliant that Saddam will be brought to justice for the evil he has done and that people of free of his reign of terror.
    Yes my thoughts exactly but 2 things:

1) Your original point had to be countered by my arguments

2) What about the reconstruction process? Is this the "little red hen and her bread" story or is this more like "bugger off I threw my soldiers to get killed so now I deserve the booty of war"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    I think the Iraqi people have more of a claim to his punishment then we have!
    but him or his followers might pay people like judges to let him be innocent

ReputationRep:
    Why don't they put him through pain? Fancy being tried in court. What sort of punishment is that? He needs torture!

Ew those pictures of thim are sick! He's a tramp!!! Disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemgems89)
    He's a tramp!!!
    He probably is a tramp that the americans picked up off the street.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    He probably is a tramp that the americans picked up off the street.
    He's not. They have his DNA. Ew did you see his teeth? All yellow.

And his big long beard and his hair is everywhere, sickening.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't they put him through pain? Fancy being tried in court. What sort of punishment is that? He needs torture!

Ew those pictures of thim are sick! He's a tramp!!! Disgusting.
    He's been in hiding, of course he's going to look rough. Incidentally, the US is in breech of the Geneva Convention in releasing these pictures.

And surely to torture him is to descend to his levels, no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    He's been in hiding, of course he's going to look rough. Incidentally, the US is in breech of the Geneva Convention in releasing these pictures.

Course, but does the americans care? NO. Does the UN have power to stop them NO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Course, but does the americans care? NO. Does the UN have power to stop them NO.
    what :confused:

ReputationRep:

Haven't you ever seen anyone living rough?

What do you expect him to have? His Gilette mach 3 razor with his tube of colgate toothpaste in his pocket? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Saddam should be put to trial on ICC (the international criminal court). Unfortunately Bush doesn't support it, so he'll probably put Saddam on trial in Iraq where it is a lot less likely for the trial to be fair and accurate. And also the americans will have to make sure there are no pro-saddam sentiments among the judges. This in turns mean that the trial will be likely to be regarded as a showcase trial where the outcome is already decided.

ICC however would have a lot more credibility as it is an UN court. It would also be ICC's first major case, and be a step on the way in achieving a world where no tyrant can feel safe. It wouldn't even be a very difficult case for ICC, as the procedures and rules have already been established by the Nuremberg trials, and the trials against war criminals in Jugoslavia and Congo.

The irony is that the Americans support the idea behind ICC, but because they are afraid that their soldiers might be judged too if they accidentaly commit war crimes, they don't support ICC. Bush even has the theoretical right to invade the Netherlands without permission from congress, if an american is put on trial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Haven't you ever seen anyone living rough?

What do you expect him to have? His Gilette mach 3 razor with his tube of colgate toothpaste in his pocket? :rolleyes:
    well the money he has

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eric bischoff)
    what :confused:
    i.e. guantamomo bay(sp?) etc etc, showing pows from iraq, allagainst geneva conventions, does the un care? yes, can tehy control the us? NO

ReputationRep:
    Word is he might have become insane! I think he was always insane.

Have you seen the comments by schroeder and shirac, they seem to want to be invovled now. Typical response from them, they're such jokers. The worst thing is that they also want some of US taxpayers money that's going to rebuild Iraq, they have such cheek. They don't lift a finger, try to prevent action and now they want to gain building contracts. No one other than coaliton countries and supporters deserve contracts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)

Tek: I thought you would have known better. The Americans set the standard, others merely drop to their levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    i.e. guantamomo bay(sp?) etc etc, showing pows from iraq, allagainst geneva conventions, does the un care? yes, can tehy control the us? NO
    see? someone else understands the hypocrisy of America

ReputationRep:

Ok, im quite confused are you sickened by the fact that he is not looking completely pristine or by the fact he has been caught????

I know that you mean "Ew" in the sense that he looks pretty bad, but how else do you expect a guy to look who has been living in a cellar for god knows how many months.

I would also like to voice my oppinion on Saddam's capture, though i can honestly say that this may possibly have made my day, I think that everyone is forgetting that the Allied forces lied to us when they went in to invade Iraq! The made us belive we were under a threat which did not exist. Yes it is brilliant that Saddam has been caught. Yes it is also brilliant that the Iraqi people have been liberated, but at what expense? They are no more a free state then they were under Saddam, and that is due to the American's!

I think before you make judgement of my comments you should realise that whilst one dictatorial power has been brought to closure, another is being prompted to grow even bigger, that is the American government.

ReputationRep:
    Quote:
    I would also like to voice my oppinion on Saddam's capture, though i can honestly say that this may possibly have made my day, I think that everyone is forgetting that the Allied forces lied to us when they went in to invade Iraq! The made us belive we were under a threat which did not exist. Yes it is brilliant that Saddam has been caught. Yes it is also brilliant that the Iraqi people have been liberated, but at what expense? They are no more a free state then they were under Saddam, and that is due to the American's!

YES!!!! another who understands what a bloody joke it was for America to invade Iraq. It wasn't just. And they certainly didn't stick to the one story

ReputationRep:
    I haven't read the last page so if I'm saying anything again, sorry.

I know you say they got the DNA from his sons but isn't a bit... sneaky to put a video of them taking samples from his cheek? WHY would the US show that and have the news report that it's a video of them taking swabs from him? It seems a bit suspicious to me. How do you actually know the US has tested? They have lied and been wrong in the past... Hell they trained Osama Bin Laden and it came back and bit them in the ass didn't it?

If they took DNA from where they found him, from a cup or saliva or something it was most likely the guy they caught's. What if the guy they caught ISNT Saddam? What if the source of the DNA was false, planted in order to throw them off?

I don't trust my own country, UK, or the US anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Also, America is at its strongest, yet doesn't know that it is already dying. Kind of like the Ottoman empire as it stood in 1680. Good news for all really, even for America. I give it 200 years and things should be really interesting as the world either finds a new super power, or realises a more balanced way of doing things.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.