Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey ive finished 4 AS's in biology, chemistry, physics and maths and intend to carry on three to A2 level. I'm planning to do a pharmacy course or medicine if i get the grades at uni. Was wondering if you could advise me on which subject would be the best to drop? (if all my grades are the same, if not ill consider dropping the lowest grade)
    Thanx!

ReputationRep:
    As long as you carry on with biology and chemistry to A2, I don't think it matters which one out of maths and physics you drop. I'd just carry on with the one you enjoy more/are best at.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say physics would be the choice to drop, doing maths with statistics I would say is a good idea...I would drop biology and do an extra A level in maths...but that is beside the point :p:

ReputationRep:
    Physics. Damn hard and you don't need it for medicine. Having Maths at A level looks awesome.

ReputationRep:
    I would wait until results day to decide which subject to drop. When I saw some medicine and pharmacy courses, they want biology and/or chemistry, so keep them.

I really want to study medicine, but I'm not good enough and didn't choose those subjects. It's a really interesting subject, and you are lucky that you are interested and good enough to do it.

ReputationRep:
    Physics or none.

ReputationRep:
    physics or maths definetely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatieKangaroo)
    Hey ive finished 4 AS's in biology, chemistry, physics and maths and intend to carry on three to A2 level. I'm planning to do a pharmacy course or medicine if i get the grades at uni. Was wondering if you could advise me on which subject would be the best to drop? (if all my grades are the same, if not ill consider dropping the lowest grade)
    Thanx!
    depends what you are going or thinking of doing at uni; i'd prolly drop chem or bio, but that is because i'm passionate about maths, so its a bit of a biased view really

pk

ReputationRep:
    Thanx!
    I have just done the exact same subjects as you at AS. I plan to drop maths unless I get a really sh*tty mark in physics. I am definitely keeping chem and bio. I plan to do pharmacy at university.

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely keep bio, chem and maths and drop physics. I know 3 people doing pharmacy ( 1 at bath, 2 at bristol) and they're all doing those three. It doesn't matter much though, if you prefer physics, keep it.

ReputationRep:
    U dont really have to drop any subjects as they are a very good combination.
    If u can keep the work up then stay with all four to widen the university choices.

But since u ahve already made up ur mind on doing pharmacy then i would probably drop physics.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't drop any as pharmacy is a very competative degree, i know many think it is just for people who dont get in to medicine. But if you think you need to drop one posible Physics but defiantly not Chemistry it is more wanted the biology.

ReputationRep:
    Maths or physics...choose the one you liked least. Personally, I wouldn't keep them all up - it's a hell of a lot of work (unless you know you're gonna be able to cope with it).

ReputationRep:
    drop physics.

ReputationRep:
    I did the same combination as u did.. i wanted to drop phy.. but im keeping them all.. jus.. pay more attention .. to first.... chem.. then bio.. then.. math or phy... but keep them..all.. and true.. it widens the unis.. choices... Best of luck.. one full year to go... for us..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sugarplumc)
    I know 3 people doing pharmacy ( 1 at bath, 2 at bristol) and they're all doing those three.
    Wow, the ones at Bristol must be special beens as they don't even do pharmacy there *LoL*

I would say say definitely keep the chemistry and biology (you won't get onto pharmacy without chem and biology will REALLY help you out with the course).

Then I'd think about which out of maths and physics you enjoy most/will get the better grade in ... I'd tend to say maths would be more help to pharmacy, especially if you're doing stats. But then again you've done maths up to AS and this would probably see you through, if you can integrate, differentiate and do logs you'll be fine .

ReputationRep:
    Purely objectively, I'd say drop physics.

But hey, it's your life, drop the one you enjoy least (although Chem you have to keep and Bio would be logical too).

ReputationRep:
    Thanx!
    prolly physics, if you want to get into medicine

ReputationRep:
    Definately keep the chemistry and biology, drop either physics or maths depending on which one you enjoy more and your AS grade

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.