Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering if anyone had experience of what modules to take
    I've already covered c1-4 and m1 and m2, and our teacher is planning to do fp1-3 and m3-5 with us, but has said we may find it useful to self study s1-3 or d1-2 or combinations of the two. Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssmoose)
    I've already covered c1-4 and m1 and m2, and our teacher is planning to do fp1-3 and m3-5 with us, but has said we may find it useful to self study s1-3 or d1-2 or combinations of the two. Any thoughts?
    What are you planning on doing at uni? I've heard stats, though crap, is often needed in sciencey courses, at least up to S1 anyway.

Doing up to M5? You lucky sod. lol. Wish I was doing that. We're doing M1-3 and S1-2.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, doing up to M5 is lucky, the set applied modules for further maths are S1-2, D1 and M1-2, I mean that is just pathetic really, nothing with even a 3 in it.

D1 you really have no need to study unless you arte going into computer science or something....statistics has some useful bits in there, analysing data and making hypotheses is always important

ReputationRep:
    A few of us here have taught ourselves D1/D2: it's not too difficult. For £20 you can get the 2 texts and see if you fancy the content! I think that studying modules yourself could demonstrate your capacity for independent learning, which could be useful...

Browse past threads; there's quite a lot of discussion of which modules to take.

Aitch

ReputationRep:
    Planning to do a maths degree. The school can provide all the books I may need. If I did do any self taught ones I would still attend lessons and do upto m5. It just apparently (and understandably) s1, s2, d1 or d2, are probably gonna be a hell of a lot easier than the later mechanics modules

ReputationRep:
    Planning to do a maths degree. The school can provide all the books I may need. If I did do any self taught ones I would still attend lessons and do upto m5. It just apparently (and understandably) s1, s2, d1 or d2, are probably gonna be a hell of a lot easier than the later mechanics modules
    Absolutely. From experience, S1, is needed for a grounding with most courses at uni. Do D1(although i didn't get the chance to do it myself), i've looked over some of the material and past papers. I'd do it, so that you have another string to your bow when analysing problems, since it's a logical unit.
    Yes, i concur, you're a lucky sod to be able to have a teacher to take you up to M5!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 1, 2005

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.