Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I had a regular account with hsbc and they made it a student account when i turned 18, then sent a letter to confirm i intended to go to uni. You needed bank acocunt details to put on the student loan form so i thought everyone already had one. When i get confirmation from UCAS that i have got my grades/been acceted, i take it to HSBC and they give me some overdraft facitilies and the tacky offer is "10 free cds or a mp3 player" i already have a mp3 player i barely ever use, so i guess its 10 free cds, even though i would rather have the cash :p: The account that with a railcard seemed ok, but i don't really wanna pick an account for the freebie, saying that i dont get all this interest rates and all the stats and percentages, and think it would be a lot of fuss and stress to go into it all/change banks, there can't be that much of a difference right? If one was so much better most people would switch to that and the other banks would have to become better to compete etc, so doesn't that mean they all end up about the same, or is that just me being naiive?

PS to the person that said they have all the cds? wtf? did you read the T & C you dont get the cds in the picture, you get 2 vouchers a month, for 5 months to use at CDWOW, 1 from the top chart cds, and another from the back catalogue. vouchers are valid for a year. surely you don't have all the cds that will be in the top 10 (or was it top 75) each week for the next 5months, plus all the cds from their back catalogue? unless you are THAT COOL :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i'm with abbey, they're cool! :-) and i get a pink credit card!!!!

ReputationRep:
    ellie how did uget £50 from hsbc , i thought they only offered the mp3 or cds?

as im with them as well, and i like them but dont like the damn freebies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marisad_uk)

PS to the person that said they have all the cds? wtf? did you read the T & C you dont get the cds in the picture, you get 2 vouchers a month, for 5 months to use at CDWOW, 1 from the top chart cds, and another from the back catalogue. vouchers are valid for a year. surely you don't have all the cds that will be in the top 10 (or was it top 75) each week for the next 5months, plus all the cds from their back catalogue? unless you are THAT COOL :rolleyes:
    thats a lot better deal !

ReputationRep:
    i opened a student account with halifax the other day, but I didn't get anything free
    They have the best interest rate and overdraft that I could see though.

ReputationRep:
    IMO things like that are much more important when choosing a student bank account than freebies anyway. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strath_05)
    i'm with abbey, they're cool! :-) and i get a pink credit card!!!!
    Abbey suck a whole lot of ****ing ASS! About a week ago paid in birthday cheques, was told I'd be able to have the money bu Thursday. Borrowed money PROMISING to be able to pay it back by Thurs. Comes ot Thursday, available balance is updated but cant withdrwa cash - apparently a stop has been placed on my account due to the "unusual" activity of the cheques. How the hell is getting money on your 18th unusual?! :mad: Promised on Thursdya that I'sbeb able to withdaw after 3:30 on Friday. 3:30 comes and I go to get the money (having borrowed off my dada to pay back my original creditors, promising to pay him back Fri afternoon). Still cant withdrwaw - apparently they're running late, I should try again in a hour. Not very helpful seeing as it's raining and - oh yes - I have no money. So, a few hours later I need money again and I STILL cant withdraw it! This results in me being stuck behind the barriers at Bristol Temple meads and having to get my boyfriend to come down and buy a ticket for me! :eek: FINALLY able to withdraw money on Sat morning but it's just not good enough - especially seeing as from Thursday, my wages were in my account, not just the cheque money! :mad:

Basically don't go with Abbey.

Which leads me on to: How easy is it to change bank aco*****? Can I just give Natwest (I'll be using the train a LOT) my sort code etc and they'll do it for me? Also is it easy to register the change with the SLC?

ReputationRep:
    xXMessedUpXx's helpful guide to some student bank account websites

hope that helps!!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.