Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    No, I've just seen it advertised in the paper. It says they're looking specifically for school leavers who want to work for 40 hours/ week for 6-8 weeks before they go to uni, £9 an hour. Sounds good to me, hope I get it! What do you think updating systems involves?
    Yeh course you'll get it and £9 per hr is brill. I suppose it depends on what sort of company/firm it is, maybe something to do with updating some sort of customer files/documents or putting through orders..

ReputationRep:
    What would you say about explicitly lying about plans to goto uni in october? I've been rejected from literally dozens of jobs now because I can't "commit to 6months." Shall I just say I'm dropping out of uni and then at the end of September say the uni has changed their mind and will take me back and wow what a brilliant opportunity byeeee!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homoterror)
    What would you say about explicitly lying about plans to goto uni in october? I've been rejected from literally dozens of jobs now because I can't "commit to 6months." Shall I just say I'm dropping out of uni and then at the end of September say the uni has changed their mind and will take me back and wow what a brilliant opportunity byeeee!
    Or what would be much more realistic for someone like Ellie who has all A's etc, would be to say your planning on going to a local uni (rather than not at all) so would be able to keep your job during term time, then after results day just say you've missed your offer so have to move away from home..and they may even be sympathetic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john williams)
    Or what would be much more realistic for someone like Ellie who has all A's etc, would be to say your planning on going to a local uni (rather than not at all) so would be able to keep your job during term time, then after results day just say you've missed your offer so have to move away from home..and they may even be sympathetic.
    That's a damn good idea. What should I do? Say I'm transferring to a local uni? =P

edit: I just couldn't do it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_roadkill)

- Don't be too self-chuffing e.g. "I have 22 A* and AAAAAAAAAAAAAA at AS and am predicted AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA at A2" (well maybe that was an exaggeration - it was - but basically I've always found that when I list all my grades I always get rejected. When I'm more down to earth, I tend to get an interview/offer. People are intimidated by younger people they imagine to be smarter than them.

- CV should just be brief (at our age), use the format off:

****! noone told me about that before! i sent of CV saying my grades, and what uni i'll hopefully go to in october:rolleyes: - will definitely be rejected from all of them then - and why do they dislike smart people - thought the idea was to employ smart people cos they can contribute with their brains etc, no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RxB)
    You don't actually want to work till the 20th, do you?
    that'd only leave me one day prep for uni, right? Hmm..maybe till the 15th october - that'd be more realistic - so anyone got anything? i've applied to blackwells, borders, some actuarial firm, two museums:mad: running out of options now!

pk

ReputationRep:
    That's a damn good idea. What should I do? Say I'm transferring to a local uni? =P

edit: I just couldn't do it
    You dont have to say anything unless they ask, in which case just name your local university.

ReputationRep:
    u might be entering ur first year.. but jus try and blag it...

for me, i could jus say im waiting my results... and the exams went badly so most likely wont make it in... so im trying to start off work as soon as possible... only problem is that i found out that 2nd year place was secure on 24th june... they dont know that tho...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil23)
    that'd only leave me one day prep for uni, right? Hmm..maybe till the 15th october - that'd be more realistic - so anyone got anything? i've applied to blackwells, borders, some actuarial firm, two museums:mad: running out of options now!

pk
    try going to brent cross or the harlequin.. they always have a lot of vacancies.. check their websites first.. otherwise jus pop along to the places.. or if ur nearer to bluewater or lakeside, try there

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.