Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Lo,

I jsut finished A-level maths this year should get a B hopefully, im almost certain im having a year out next year or i might go straight to newcastle uni im not to sure yet depends on results.

Heres the question ive always been quite interested in maths (Sad i know) and has been my favourite subject through school and college, i was wondering wether i could carry on this interest at uni or in my year out to get an as in further maths aswell? also what otehr units would i have to study to get an AS in further maths currently ive done C1-C4 D1-D2 if i had to do applied i would do Stats seen as i got a B at GCSE then had to redo all statistical methods and analysis in my geography synoptic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Heres the question ive always been quite interested in maths (Sad i know)
    Grr why is it sad? There are people who are fascinated by english literature, geography or law. Why is it sad to be interested in mathematics but not sad to be interested in those other subjects?

and has been my favourite subject through school and college, i was wondering wether i could carry on this interest at uni or in my year out to get an as in further maths aswell? also what otehr units would i have to study to get an AS in further maths currently ive done C1-C4 D1-D2 if i had to do applied i would do Stats seen as i got a B at GCSE then had to redo all statistical methods and analysis in my geography synoptic.
    What subject are you doing at university? If maths has always been your favourite subject than why aren't you doing that?
    It would be a good idea to do further maths in your gap year if you're interested in it, but I wouldn't advise doing it while at university.
    If you did decide to do an AS in further maths and wanted to do statistics modules you'd probably do FP1, S1 and S2.

ReputationRep:
    That sounds pretty sound advise. Indeed it's not sad to have a love for a subject!
    In your gap year... if that's what you decide... it would be advisable to do your FM units, if at least Pure. The reason for this, is that your university would not want you taking a year out if you're going on to do maths. They prefer it to be fresh in your mind. So if that's your love, go for it!
    As a matter of fact, i'm in a similar situation. Ive finishd year 13 Alevel in Maths and would be going off to uni in sept to do economics with business. It hasn't stopped me from doing some more FM units... Self study is a challenge, but it's a good one.
    Give it a go.
    Even if you go to Uni in Sep, the maths units studied won't go to waste. no need to do the exams in them

ReputationRep:
    lol not sayin its sad but i get some stick for it usual lines are "why do you do matsh its borin" "Its hard" etc etc etc etc

Ive applied to do accoutning anf finance (Abb) but now considering how much better in maths ive done with the new syallabus an doing p2 and p1 last year made c1, c2 ,c3 seem easy compared to june 04 p2 exam. I didnt realise how much better i was going to do this year sittting my entrie a-level in one year so i didnt apply for maths courses at uni, but now i might apply for matsh and accounting joitn degree through clearing.

But if i took my year out would it be possible to jsut self study and with help form the :tsr: and enter as a private candidate? surely this would help with my uni application as well if i decide to decline all entrys in august and have ayear out to go work in greece?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goody1)
    lol not sayin its sad but i get some stick for it usual lines are "why do you do matsh its borin" "Its hard" etc etc etc etc
    It's supposed to be hard but it's certainly not boring. People just fear what they are intimidated by and can't understand

But if i took my year out would it be possible to jsut self study and with help form the :tsr: and enter as a private candidate?
    Certainly. While I attended sixth form I taught myself D1, D2, P5, P6, M2, M3, P2 and P3 so it's very possible.

ReputationRep:
    True the mian reason why i like maths is that its a challenge.

But i wont be at college if i haev the year out so how do i enter exams andw ere do i take them?????

ReputationRep:
    But i wont be at college if i haev the year out so how do i enter exams andw ere do i take them?????
    You could always come back to the UK and sit them at your original centre but there may be somewhere in greece that would enable you to sit them there.

ReputationRep:
    The season in greece doesnt start till like may time, Think i could learn Fp1 S1 and S2 in 5 months (starting in august, working through july) and then sit them in january or would that be to much although id sayi was alright at maths im nowere near your standard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goody1)
    The season in greece doesnt start till like may time, Think i could learn Fp1 S1 and S2 in 5 months (starting in august, working through july) and then sit them in january?
    Provided you have a good grasp of C1-C4 I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to do that if you were motivated to teach yourself by working through the heinemann texts and doing past papers + solomon papers.

ReputationRep:
    Did you say it was possible to apply to new courses through clearing????
    I would like to do maths at uni, but i turned down a mthats offer at ucl (idiot) no comments...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goldenratio)
    Did you say it was possible to apply to new courses through clearing????
    Not unless your firm and insurance release you and you need to make sure you'd be very happy to go to the university.

I would like to do maths at uni, but i turned down a mthats offer at ucl (idiot) no comments...
    Dont ucl require A in maths? I'm sure you're going to get one of those regardless though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    Not unless your firm and insurance release you and you need to make sure you'd be very happy to go to the university.

Dont ucl require A in maths? I'm sure you're going to get one of those regardless though.
    Oh, one doesnt' choose the uni through clearing? hmm true.

fingers crossed (i made a stupid mistake in C4 which will probably cost me the A). God knows how hard i worked, lol.
    I declined UCL some months ago, in favour of imp but not for a maths course.
    Well to cut a long story short. I don't have the poss of doing maths :'( , unless is wait a year and re-apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goldenratio)
    Oh, one doesnt' choose the uni through clearing? hmm true.
    You do choose the university but there's only a limited number of universties and courses in clearing. UCL or ICL wouldn't be in clearing for many subjects.

fingers crossed (i made a stupid mistake in C4 which will probably cost me the A). God knows how hard i worked, lol.
    I declined UCL some months ago, in favour of imp but not for a maths course.
    Well to cut a long story short. I don't have the poss of doing maths :'( , unless is wait a year and re-apply.
    One mistake can lose you probably a maximum of about 8 UMS. Try not to worry

ReputationRep:
    10 UMS is practically all i had to play with :P basically for making stupid mistakes (getting ratios upside down , n adding e^x*e^ln20 LOOOL to make e^x+20 LOOOOL.

Anyway on a happier note. I would reccommend keeping up to date with maths over the summer to do a maths course sometime in the future.

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely encourage you to do further maths if you are taking a gap year, it is challenging and interesting....

and loving maths is not sad by any means, loving English literature I do not fully grasp, sure there are some good bits in English literature, and I intend to read some fairy/folk tales, but a whole lot is pretentious regurgitated mundane goop

Maths is the one thing that is eternal, and the brilliant thing is, a mathematician is the only one who could prove otherwise, mwahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    further maths rocks :cool: - once again DO IT!!!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's sad to like Maths. I like the way it all fits together.

ReputationRep:
    have done C1-C4 and S1-S2... planning to do further maths while i am at uni..
    can anyone help me whether this combination is ok ?
    FP1-FP3 and M1-M3 to make up a full A-level F.Maths???

cheers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's a good combo, but do you really want to do it at Uni? you'll be taken up with the work there, which at the end of the day is more important than an A-level, i think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roughy_ruff)
    have done C1-C4 and S1-S2... planning to do further maths while i am at uni..
    can anyone help me whether this combination is ok ?
    FP1-FP3 and M1-M3 to make up a full A-level F.Maths???

cheers
    Why do you intend to do A-Level further maths while at university? If you really like math then why not take a year out, do further maths and then go to university to study mathematics..

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 3, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.