Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    why shove a disc on a lathe to 'smooth them out'?

Surely its easier to just replace the discs? discs and pads for a mk2 fiesta would probably be pretty damn cheap (talking under £50 parts here...).

Don't mess about with brakes unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing though...

ReputationRep:
    If the disc still has a lot of life left, there is no point replacing it

ReputationRep:
    I want to echo Ynox views, messing about spark plugs is one thing but making a mistake with the breaks can cause deaths and is best left to the experts if you don't know what you're doing.

ReputationRep:
    Yep of course if there is plenty of life left in the disk then you can face them off, but try not to damage them in the first place - check and change your pads regularly so that the backing plate doesn't **** up your disks and with brand new pads on, brake gently for the first 200-500 miles so it doesn't make your disks warp.

And even if you have to replace your disks, perfect reason to replace them with drilled and grooved replacements

ReputationRep:
    I would have someone experienced guide me. If this person has no idea about these sort of things, then leave the back breaks alone. Disc breaks are very simple and you'll know if it's fit together properly. Again, have someone help you. It's a great learning experience and poses no danger if someone experienced is there to help.

When I did mine, I started on the back drums. Took me 2 hours to do the first. 45 minutes to the other. Then 15 minutes total to do the front discs. Then spend about 10 minutes bleeding the brakes. You need someone to help you with this anyway, so ask an experienced uncle, dad, brother, neighbour etc. It really is not that hard.

But look, at the end of the day, if this sort of work is going to intimidate you, don't try it. If your mechanically confident, give it a go. You don't need a degree to do brakes on a fiesta. You probably won't even need a C-clamp to compress the piston into the caliper, you can just use your hands as the brakes are so small.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingspharm)
    And even if you have to replace your disks, perfect reason to replace them with drilled and grooved replacements
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    but try not to damage them in the first place
    I'm under the assumption that damage may or may not have been caused by the previous owner.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.