Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I want to know which company produces the best revision guides for AS Biology and Chemistry (seperately)... I am 16 and I am due to start my AS courses in a short while... I want to get ahead and start learning the syllabus and other things now... I am doing Edexcel Biology and Edexcel Chemistry... Any and all suggestions would be appreiciated.

ReputationRep:
    CGP! Their revision guides were way better than Letts and others, IMHO.

www.cgpbooks.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    Yeh CGP books are the best

ReputationRep:
    I find CGP too cringe-makingly tedious and I hate the oh-so-funny approach to learning... I was considering Nelson Thornes; Anyone know what these books are like?

ReputationRep:
    www.philipallan.co.uk

The Student Unit guides are a godsend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spoon1)
    www.philipallan.co.uk

Just had a look at them and viewed the sample pages; Really thorough and easy to understand, great! Thanks alot, I'll probably order these... Not too pricey I might add.

ReputationRep:
    Please - don't go on about how great CGP revision books are! They annoy me so much when at the end there's the obligatory little "Write a mini essay on blah blah blah" coz they can't be bothered to make up questions for each section and at the end there's a question like "Why does my head hurt"..grrrr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spoon1)
    www.philipallan.co.uk

Yeah these were amazing for Chemistry, just looked and realised they had biology ones, wish I had got them!

I hope they bring out the A2 versions, because they only have the unit guides for the AS units in my subjects and Exam boards, does anybody know if they will? Because otherwise I might just die...

BTW to the threadstarter - relax! enjoy your summer without working, im back at school after AS doing A2 coursework and wish I was in your position...and I wouldnt be working!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shamen)
    I find CGP too cringe-makingly tedious and I hate the oh-so-funny approach to learning... I was considering Nelson Thornes; Anyone know what these books are like?
    The AS books are way different to the GCSE ones. No jokes in the information. So you can avoid them (they are only at the bottom of the page). A friend of mine thought the same as you about them, then he saw the chem ones and decided they had actually changed. So go and read on in WHSmith before you buy anything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onlylittleme)
    Yeah these were amazing for Chemistry, just looked and realised they had biology ones, wish I had got them!

I hope they bring out the A2 versions, because they only have the unit guides for the AS units in my subjects and Exam boards, does anybody know if they will? Because otherwise I might just die...

BTW to the threadstarter - relax! enjoy your summer without working, im back at school after AS doing A2 coursework and wish I was in your position...and I wouldnt be working!
    I guess your right; I probably should make an effort to do something with friends. However, I have this lingering thought in the back of my mind that I'm 'behind' in school work, and I'm frightened it won't dissapear until I've done some preperation work for AS.

ReputationRep:
    Well.. dun go for.. Nelson Thornes... stuff.. they.. arent that good.. compared to the P.Alan books.. well... But let me say.. "make the grade" for bio n chem.. edexcel.. published by.. Nelson thornes.. are the only two books which i feel r .. useful... y dont u go.. for Collins.. Student Support Material.. ther AWESOME>>>> check them out..

best of luck......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shamen)
    Agreed. totally.

ReputationRep:
    How about these --> http://www.heinemann.co.uk/secondary...555&s=&skey=93 ?

I found both the AS and A2 books good, although I got more use out of the A2 one because I didn't buy the books until Year 13 (AS one was for retakes and synoptic revision but wish I'd had it during Year 12)! Some people might think they lack detail ed information, but the Biology 1 & 2 textbooks give you too much information so it's up to you! I think you can get them for AQA and OCR only though.

Edit: Just realised you're doing Edexcel, doh! Anyway, some other people might find these ^ books useful I hope.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone, you've all been really contributive and helpful, cheers greatly.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.