Turn on thread page Beta

UCAS' Stance on Professional Certifications watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Does anybody know whether the CompTIA A+ and Network+ certs carry any weight when it comes to UCAS points? If so, how many?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I have moved this into general university discussion as it has its a better place for it than the technology sub forum. To answer your question I think it would be worth 0 UCAS points becuase its not Level 3 (i.e A level) but some universities will probably take the qualifications into account.

You will still need A levels/AVCEs etc though.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ucas.com/candq/tariff/tariff.html is the full list of qualifications that count for UCAS points. Many offers, however, will nevertheless be made in terms of A-level grades, or UCAS points derived specifically from A-levels, rather than just a total number of UCAS points.

ReputationRep:
    Include them in your application, as it might make your application look better.

ReputationRep:
    PS AT: some level 2 qualifications count for UCAS points, such as level 2 Key Skills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePants999)
    PS AT: some level 2 qualifications count for UCAS points, such as level 2 Key Skills.
    Yep I think its a bit of farse though, I mean Key Skills level 2 was like stuff we do in year 7.

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks people. Didn't realise they had been classified as level 2 but it seems about right - they don't really mean anything, you just need a good memory. I thought that if they upped my points a bit, bonus. Nevermind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cosmik_debris)
    Okay thanks people. Didn't realise they had been classified as level 2 but it seems about right - they don't really mean anything, you just need a good memory. I thought that if they upped my points a bit, bonus. Nevermind.
    Still beneficial to your application though - worth writing in your personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cosmik_debris)
    No they are not level 2, they are not officialy regonised by the government, but companies regonise them. This why they are professional qualifications. They are proper qualifications but won't get you into university alone, though if you have A levels they may well help

You tend to these types of qualifications after university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    No they are not level 2, they are not officialy regonised by the government, but companies regonise them. This why they are professional qualifications. They are proper qualifications but won't get you into university alone, though if you have A levels they may well help

You tend to these types of qualifications after university.
    I know these types of IT qualifications are after university. Some schools offer these qualfications along with A-levels I heard.

If I get a good grade in ICT for A-level, do you think I should do one of those qualifications during my gap year to keep me busy, or do it after university would be better? These qualifications would be useful for the future.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of them like MSCE don't really require any entry qualifications they require money. Personaly I am not sure how worth while they are. Some of them are just money making exercises.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    A lot of them like MSCE don't really require any entry qualifications they require money. Personaly I am not sure how worth while they are. Some of them are just money making exercises.
    Alright. How much do they cost? Hope it's not that expensive.

ReputationRep:
    Oohh, I see AEAs have finally been added to the UCAS tarriff. That means I now have 820 UCAS points.

ReputationRep:
    Oohh, I see AEAs have finally been added to the UCAS tarriff. That means I now have 820 UCAS points.
    Wider key skills and BTECs are also added to the UCAS tariff too!

Woah, you have almost 1000 points, and any university will accept you. For example, you can go into any good uni which uses the tariff point system.

ReputationRep:
    Woah, you have almost 1000 points, and any university will accept you. For example, you can go into any good uni which uses the tariff point system.
    A lot of universities don't take into account ucas points and go on actual grades. 1 A grade is better than 3 Es at A-Level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    A lot of universities don't take into account ucas points and go on actual grades. 1 A grade is better than 3 Es at A-Level.
    I thought uni's don't mind what combinations you have at least you have to correct amount of tariff points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    I thought uni's don't mind what combinations you have at least you have to correct amount of tariff points.
    Quite a few universities don't make offers on points. They might just state things like 'BBC' at A-Level in grades x, y and z respectively. No matter how many points you have unless you have at least the desired grades in the correct subject you won't get in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    But they look at your qualifications as well...1 A grade would definitely be considered as better than 3 grade E's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    Alas, that's almost a contradiction - most good unis don't use the tarriff system But no university is going to accept me, cos I've already graduated and I have no intention of going back.

ReputationRep:
    Alas, that's almost a contradiction - most good unis don't use the tarriff system But no university is going to accept me, cos I've already graduated and I have no intention of going back.
    Alright. Yeah, most good uni's don't use the tariff system. How come though? I know some good uni's use tariff system (e.g. Queen Mary - their CS course wants 260-300 points, Salford, Bradford, Liverpool - for some courses though that I saw, Reading).

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.