Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is there any one else who has been rejected from the natsci course at durham on the basis of there not being enough places in the chem lab? I got sent a very patronising letter claiming that there were a lot of very strong applicants, but having got 99% on chem AS and 100% in my other 3 subjects I feel that my not being good enough at chemistry is not really a justifiable reason to reject me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by devilschild)
    Is there any one else who has been rejected from the natsci course at durham on the basis of there not being enough places in the chem lab? I got sent a very patronising letter claiming that there were a lot of very strong applicants, but having got 99% on chem AS and 100% in my other 3 subjects I feel that my not being good enough at chemistry is not really a justifiable reason to reject me!
    University applications is dirrrrty business

ReputationRep:
    There are plenty more uni's in the sea! Nothing you can do to change their descision so getting worked up is only hurting yourself more....

ReputationRep:
    Ouch, that's harsh. When did you apply?

ReputationRep:
    my cousin has been at durham for over 3 years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eric bischoff)
    my cousin has been at durham for over 3 years
    What does he/she think of it?

ReputationRep:
    My mate got turned down at Salford even though he had the right predicated grades. They told him he didn't he had a deep enough interest for the subject.

If a university like Durham is to stuck up to accept you I am sure a lot of good universities will gladly accept you.

A lot of it not down to the university you go to but what you do while you are there that counts. If you make the most of it then you should get a good job no matter what.

ReputationRep:
    Someone in my year got rejected from Durham for Natural Sciences as well... She phoned up to enquire about it, and apparently because they had so many applicants they automatically rejected everyone without A level maths... Do you do it?

ReputationRep:
    yeh leaby i was gonna say that, she rang them 2 ask why she got rejected it was cos she didnt do a level maths, but they said they'd reconsider her for biological sciences instead of natsci, and i think shes in now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    Nothing you can do to change their descision so getting worked up is only hurting yourself more....
    Not strictly true - someone i know got rejected from Notts and went up there and demanded to see the admissions tutor - she outlined her reasons for being desperate to go to Durham and got in!!!

ReputationRep:
    well anyone can have my offer of geog AAB for st.marys if you want it! there's no way im going to an all girls college!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leaby)
    Someone in my year got rejected from Durham for Natural Sciences as well... She phoned up to enquire about it, and apparently because they had so many applicants they automatically rejected everyone without A level maths... Do you do it?
    yeah I do A level maths and AS further maths so that cant be the reason! but ive decided I'm not really that bothered because there isnt good night life there neway. nottingham have offered me ABB so mite jus go there instead.

ReputationRep:

It's not all about grades - could have been anything from the other applicants having stronger personal statements than you to something in your reference they didn't like. Apparently loads of people got full marks this year which is making it really hard for unis to decide who to take. Hope you find somewhere you like - i don't like the sound of Durham anyway - they say 'Doxbridge' for goodness sake!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzie)
    well anyone can have my offer of geog AAB for st.marys if you want it! there's no way im going to an all girls college!
    St Mary's is going co-ed anyway. And don't write it off - at least go and have a look round. Its not like you would never meet men. Loads of people are sceptical about going to women's colleges and then, after having been, completely change their minds.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haz)
    It's not all about grades - could have been anything from the other applicants having stronger personal statements than you to something in your reference they didn't like. Apparently loads of people got full marks this year which is making it really hard for unis to decide who to take. Hope you find somewhere you like - i don't like the sound of Durham anyway - they say 'Doxbridge' for goodness sake!
    My college counselor wants me to go to Durham for the name value...but it's not even that high up in the rankings!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vavavoom)
    My college counselor wants me to go to Durham for the name value...but it's not even that high up in the rankings!!!!
    Durham is weird like that. It does have a certain 'name' value because its an older, more traditional university and it has always been seen as an alternative to Oxbridge. The colleges were established with the Oxbridge colleges in mind and a lot of the courses are very tradtional. However its academic reputation has slipped in recent years and its been overtaken by institutions such as Bristol, UCL and Nottingham. It still has a certain 'prestige factor' though, and is still seen, fairly or otherwise, as a place filled with Oxbridge rejects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Durham is weird like that. It does have a certain 'name' value because its an older, more traditional university and it has always been seen as an alternative to Oxbridge. The colleges were established with the Oxbridge colleges in mind and a lot of the courses are very tradtional. However its academic reputation has slipped in recent years and its been overtaken by institutions such as Bristol, UCL and Nottingham. It still has a certain 'prestige factor' though, and is still seen, fairly or otherwise, as a place filled with Oxbridge rejects.

Yea, those are the reasons my college counsellor wants me to go 'college system, traditional, alternative to oxbridge yada yada'. What pissed me off the most was when he said 'it's full of middle/high class and you'll probably fit in there'. EHEM! I am NOT a RAH!!! I don't sport Prada bags (see no point in brands) and I do not wear pearl necklaces (jk jk):P I go to an international school so we do fit into the more wealthier category...but still!!! Besides I live in Japan and there is no way to distinguish classes really and noone cares about class AT ALL! Now I need to convince him that Nottingham is just a great place!! <---want to go there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vavavoom)
    Yea, those are the reasons my college counsellor wants me to go 'college system, traditional, alternative to oxbridge yada yada'. What pissed me off the most was when he said 'it's full of middle/high class and you'll probably fit in there'. EHEM! I am NOT a RAH!!! I don't sport Prada bags (see no point in brands) and I do not wear pearl necklaces (jk jk):P I go to an international school so we do fit into the more wealthier category...but still!!! Besides I live in Japan and there is no way to distinguish classes really and noone cares about class AT ALL! Now I need to convince him that Nottingham is just a great place!! <---want to go there.
    Why should you convince him??? Its your decision at the end of the day. Both places have a good reputation and it should ultimately be your decision. Anyway the Durham colleges aren't really like Oxbridge colleges in that no teaching actually goes on there. I am taught in my college in Oxford whereas some of my friends who are at Durham have said that they are only taught in departments and the colleges are basically just for living. However, they do have a structure, ie JCR, MCR, SCR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Why should you convince him??? Its your decision at the end of the day. Both places have a good reputation and it should ultimately be your decision. Anyway the Durham colleges aren't really like Oxbridge colleges in that no teaching actually goes on there. I am taught in my college in Oxford whereas some of my friends who are at Durham have said that they are only taught in departments and the colleges are basically just for living. However, they do have a structure, ie JCR, MCR, SCR.

I understand that this is ultimately my decision but I feel annoyed thinking that he'll end up thinking 'she should have gone to Durham'. I just want to graduate with a good feeling, u know? One of my first steps was to show him the rankings (though they don't greatly prove anything) and I showed that Durham didn't even make the top 15 in some of them for Psycholoogy....but he wasn't convinced yet...hmmm still trying!!

I'm going to Notts anyways no matter what he says!! I mean, great social life, great course (Notts psychology ranks higher than oxbridge...right now), great campus, great performing arts opportunities, great city, can go on scholarship...what more can I ask for? . I need to get the grades first of course!

I like the Durham colleges idea though - you just live there but each college has their own societies. Hee hee.

Which college do you go to?

ReputationRep:
    I'm at St Hilda's College, Oxford. I applied to Durham (St Mary's) last year but I turned it down in the end. First choice was Oxford, insurance was King's College London, both for philosophy and theology.

Good luck whatever happens

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.