The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Leeds Accommodation 2012 Thread

ok so these are the two im deciding between although knowing my luck ill chose the one i want then get the other or something completely different...

i wanna meet people that are really sociable and wanna go out loads so which one should i go for...

because from stuff ive read im guessing that JBP is gonna be full of ppl with rich parents and theyre doing things like medicine and wont want to go out much (i know im being stereotypical but c'mon...)

ideally i wanna be in JBP - i suppose i could meet my future rich husband doctor lol but mainly because its closest to headingly and better security than leodis.

so what are you current JBP and leodis residents social lives like. do you go out much?? and what course are you doing??

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
silly question, why do u wish to be closer to headingley in the first year?
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Where you live really has no bearing, it doesn't matter, you'll meet people and go out wherever you are.. grow up!
Reply 3
grow up? ive got to live there for a year so i want to make sure i am in a place best suited especially seeing as its my first year and i want to make the most of it.

chrisA86, one of my friends lives in headingly so ive been there a lot and the pubs are good and cheap.
I just mean it seems a bit naive to make presumptions about the social lives of people based on what course they do or where they live.
Reply 5
i know.

like, i have some friends that went to public schools so rich parents etc and theyre some of the hardcore-est partiers i know .

but then i also know some that are quite the opposit. but generally if your doing a hardcore course like medicine your not gonna be up for going out a lot??
Reply 6
that's balls tbh....medics are reknowned for being partiers...
Reply 7
ok cool.

well this is all stuff i wanna know so its all good.

think i will stick with JBP :smile:
Reply 8
Fleece
....medics are reknowned for being partiers...

thats true. Try us lawyers - don't have the time to party. Sad, I know! But hey we can be rebels too ... :biggrin:
Reply 9
leodis hands down.. you dont wanna be out in headingly in your first year, if you wanna go out loads you'll want all the clubs close by. Living in leodis the clubs are within walking distance, so much easier espically in the summer cos you can walk in and out of town easily. Just because parents put their kids in accomodation that costs more, dosnt mean that they dont go out! I agree with fleece, the medics are known to party the most!

--------------

fidge
i know.

like, i have some friends that went to public schools so rich parents etc and theyre some of the hardcore-est partiers i know .

but then i also know some that are quite the opposit. but generally if your doing a hardcore course like medicine your not gonna be up for going out a lot??

Oh no quite the opposite, they dont unwind as much most, but when they do, it seems they really go for it
Reply 10
Medics are the most sociable of all students! I know I'm a bit biased but it's a well known fact that medics work hard and play (very) hard!
Reply 11
ive read though that leodis isnt near any pubs.

when you say walking distance to the clubs - how many miles is that??
Reply 12
fidge
ive read though that leodis isnt near any pubs.

when you say walking distance to the clubs - how many miles is that??
i dont walk miles so it cant be very far. well when you said you wanted to go out louds, i thought that meant you were going to be a hardcore clubber? leodis is near some pubs, the library, eldon are all close. If you prefer the bar/clubs to pubs leodis will benefit much more.
Reply 13
there's also the brickies.. which is like outside st marks, 3mins from leodis.. cant say i actually know where james ballie is.. so many people have tried to explain.. im still lsot on why the key thing about JB is that it's close to headingley.. which ermm ya know is lacking in comparison..
Reply 14
I've attempted to tell my friends form Leodis where JBP is - sometimes I don't think they have even heard of Headingley!
Reply 15
hey i live in james baillie this year and thats total balls about it being full of rich medics etc. Sure it is on the upper end of the price range, but it doesnt mean every1s gonna b stuck up etc about it. Every1 i know here is luvly, i no a few uber rich kids but only found out about that thru sheer coincidence. No1 really flaunts it tho the private regi numbers do give it away.

It all depends who ur put with whether or not theyll wannna go out lots, but come on- its ur 1st year! Your gonna have opportunities to go out like everynite, no1s gonna be a total bore n be sat in all the time!

about the security- i wud say leodis is probs better, they have a gate round the whole place, whereas here we get flyer posters making their ways in allll the time! also, my blocks main door doesnt even lock properly. location is gd tho, and its really social cos of the common room and regular james baillie nites out.

cya x
Reply 16
I went down to visit leeds last Wednesday and JB isn't full of rich kids at all, there is a little section in the middle which is alarming like a part of cambridge which does attract alot of people from Eton and so on. From what i've heard its complete luck - JB could be hardcore this year but pussy next year and vice versa, you will find what you are looking for at either hopefully though - theres enough people there for you to find several of the same mindset.
Reply 17
suzybabe
hey i live in james baillie this year and thats total balls about it being full of rich medics etc. Sure it is on the upper end of the price range, but it doesnt mean every1s gonna b stuck up etc about it. Every1 i know here is luvly, i no a few uber rich kids but only found out about that thru sheer coincidence. No1 really flaunts it tho the private regi numbers do give it away.

It all depends who ur put with whether or not theyll wannna go out lots, but come on- its ur 1st year! Your gonna have opportunities to go out like everynite, no1s gonna be a total bore n be sat in all the time!

about the security- i wud say leodis is probs better, they have a gate round the whole place, whereas here we get flyer posters making their ways in allll the time! also, my blocks main door doesnt even lock properly. location is gd tho, and its really social cos of the common room and regular james baillie nites out.

cya x

yeah they gate is wonderful. well, it would be... if the door worked.
Reply 18
I've been accepted to the University of Leeds but I can't decide which accommodation looks best! I like the look of Clarence Dock, Devonshire Hall & Oxley Residences, but I'm open to any suggestions!

P.S. I'd prefer self-catered and probably en-suite :smile:

Please help me!!
Reply 19
Same boat. I'm rather peeved with the lack of information re: costs in the brochures. These pictures are all rather pretty but realistically, S/C hovel for £minimum is fine for me :p:

Quick Reply

Latest