The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Leeds Accommodation 2012 Thread

Scroll to see replies

looknlearn
Is this for all residences including the ones that are run by UNITE?

If you mean James Baillie and The Tannery which are booked through the university, yes. But it doesn't apply to places that are booked directly through Unite like The Plaza and Concept Place (and the studios at The Tannery).
Basically, if you have a contract with, and pay rent to, the University Edge Club membership is included (except for family accommodation and summer only contracts)
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Roman4life
International student here. Just a few quick questions (relating to boddington) and a statement.

1. Do they by chance group the international students together or do I have to write in my application that I rather mix and mingle with everyone?
2.How fast is the internet connections usually in boddington halls and is there any chance of it been wireless?
3. I know a lot of individuals are against catered foods (not looking at you moonbeam :wink: ) but I really cant be bothered to do all that and rather just eat out if i miss the timings. However I am curious as to the quality of the food itself?
4. I know the bus rides are a pain as I read in this post but I am curious as to how much it costs on a full year basis ? Also how long are the frequencies of getting those buses and how long does it take usually ? Not with traffic and all that but just an everyday occurrence?
5. I would like to thank Moonbeam for helping clarify a lot of questions that i had while reading this thread.:top:
6.Also Moonbeam since you seem to despise boddington so much might I request if you could provide me with the name of another place with catered and a good social life that is close to most places? (No not devonshire because of the reasons you stated yourself and I have witnessed the same beliefs in other threads)

1. International students are usually with a few others, but unless you stipulate your preference anything can happen. If you want to be solely with International Students put that, one of the best International residences is Sentinel Towers, but you wont meet many British students. That being said International Students are ususally here to study Postgrad courses. This means you wont ususally mix so well with a fresh 18 year old straight from British Further Education, age is often the issue and the majority of 1st years live in Uni Accomodation, with very few older people in Uni owned halls. You should probably write if you want to mix or if you want to be with older British etc.

2. Internet complaints from my friends in Uni halls regularly, I was at a friends at Boddington and it was mega slow. But the Uni has invested a lot of money in accomodation prior to the economic bust, which is having to go ahead, I believe. So there may be work being done on Accomodations Internet and there may or may not be wireless at Boddington, perhaps there is a small one in the Bod Bar. But Boddington is totally in its own area away from everything so they may of had a wireless put in place or plan to be doing that. Though I would not rely on Uni wireless its very problematic even on campus. Put it this way kiss goodbye to downloading movies, music etc. But it can stream video or tv sometimes depending time of day and volume of traffic.

3. Food can be of great quality but it can also be bad, I only know Devonshire persons experience of catered food. So I got no idea what the Boddington menu is as its a different sort of students, it may be the same or not. The Devonshire catering is lots of British classic foods and they all sit and eat together in a very to me artificial manner, I like to eat my food not having to be watched all the time. Imagine eating out with your friends everynight it will start great but then you will just get angry with the restrictions of food times. But on a + side you get to try British cuisine you would not know how to cook yourself. My friend has moved out of catered in Devonshire and is self-catering now as he was sick of the restrictions and bad value for money. So if you did get fed up you can change rooms and get a good portion of your money back. Fridays are ususally the best meals so im told, not sure why perhaps due to staff and student alike happy the week is over.

4. With the Bod Bus there is no such thing as an everyday occurance lol, its heavily trafficed majority of the day, quietest on sundays and saturdays. You have a few different buses, the Unilink bod bus aimed at students with reduced single fairs £1.50, but its only £3.20 a day for an unlimited day rider. You can buy termly passes as a student they dont do yearly from the website suggestion. First Bus-Fares Leeds You would need the £129 one, as the green zone is just city centre and immediate periphery. That is a single term there are 3 terms so x 3 and you got your annual bus price, but I dont know how much or if all of the summer is covered, have to ring and enquire, you can get a better deal if you buy the term pass early on face to face, they come to the University Union at the start of each new term and often do a better deal like the price of the greenzone £96 but for the unlimited full Leeds package.

Interestingly there is a understanding at the Uni, when people walk in late they just say Boddington sorry and sit down and are excused, this is because the buses do not run on time ever, they are every 15-20mins for Boddington I think during the daytime. Shame is you have to get up earlier than everyone else if you live at Boddington and get home later due to traffic and distance, you have 2 stops one inside Boddington and one just on the road outside Boddington. The one on the road just outside is more frequent and would be the one you would use with the first bus pass. The beauty is the Bodd Bus is almost 24 hour it only stops for 4-6 hours depending what day of the week, it runs late so you can go clubbing in the city and get back on it with the pass. This pass is useful as First owns 75% of the buses in Leeds, all the major ones you would need. I would say it takes 30mins on a normal day, can take 20 at odd random hours of the day and can even be known to take 45mins on a few cases this year. It is dependent if people get on and off at everystop and traffic its really unpredictable timings.

5. Happy to help, just dont be sarcy. I always clarify between my opinion and my information, both are useful as sometimes information does not actually explain the reality, where as opinion gives a more realistic points to consider.

6. Charles Morris, I dont know much of it, it will be a pretty hit and miss social aspect as its got no track record history as its brand new next year. I believe a portion is going to be catered, but you will have to check with AccomOffice in this thread. Its the best location going though, closer to the main Edward Boyle library and the huge lecture theatre concrete fortress the Roger Stevens. Best location out of all accom in city, private or uni owned. It will cost you but be worth every penny, you will never miss meals then as it will be a 2min walk from library to your catered food, providing there is a catered section to it.

Also you might be happy to hear you can have this lunch card in the Refectory, which is a huge selection of international food, not very British tbh but they cook high quality healthy foods, I reckon there are a few French Chefs from the way he/she serves the meat a little pink, but it was very tasty. It is highly priced though out of my budget, but if you get this card you load it up with money and can enjoy some splendid breakfasts and lunches. If I had money I would :biggrin:

Non question Specific
A final note I dont despise Boddington you are mistaken thats Devonshire lol, simply because I hate toffs and their inept understanding of reality and the clique behaviour they exhibit. Also they vote on the right political wing and really its a personal thing, they ruin my country out of a total missunderstanding of reality, I despise the right political wing. Because there selfish vindictive tards who exploit everything, but im no Marxist before I get accused im centrist reformer not a revolutionary.

Boddington is a pretty simplistic residences nothing shines about it, its your bargain basement option if you are unlucky not to get Lupton which is the same price, but mildly better due to location in my opinion. I do not despise it, it has a nice atmosophere its just not a practical way to live its immensely stressful if your not laid back. I know people who swapped and went to Clarence Dock and prefer that, but thats fairly far but not that bad walking distance at least. Depends on the person, but I dont see how Boddington racks up anything, its distance is just a huge killer any atmosphere pro is not worth it on my personal opinion. Perhaps you will like to be out of the city on a big green field, but I prefer living closer simply cause I like to walk, but I see transport costly on my wallet and wasted time.
Reply 202
sentinel towers anyone?
Aimayyy
sentinel towers anyone?

its mostly international people who stay there so i doubt it
Charles Morris looks great but the issue with that is that I do not want to be at a social miss or hit ... I am looking to enjoy my time at university. I completely understand what you implicate about Devonshire and am a teensy bit worried that if I go to Charles the same crowd would be there.

Maybe I will reconsider catered as it seems my head is going in circles just thinking about the pros and cons of the different accommodation.

Will have to see what the grapevine says about Charles Morris. Thanks for the help.
Roman4life
Charles Morris looks great but the issue with that is that I do not want to be at a social miss or hit ... I am looking to enjoy my time at university. I completely understand what you implicate about Devonshire and am a teensy bit worried that if I go to Charles the same crowd would be there.

Maybe I will reconsider catered as it seems my head is going in circles just thinking about the pros and cons of the different accommodation.

Will have to see what the grapevine says about Charles Morris. Thanks for the help.

I would have thought it would be a complete mixture of folks purely because it is on campus. Places like dev only have private school/rah rep because
1. It is the oldest building
2. Old **** is seen as posh
3. This combined wreaks of conservatism and, by proxy, conservative values.
Ludwig Wittgenstein
I would have thought it would be a complete mixture of folks purely because it is on campus. Places like dev only have private school/rah rep because
1. It is the oldest building
2. Old **** is seen as posh
3. This combined wreaks of conservatism and, by proxy, conservative values.

thanks for the advice mate. I got nothing against rahs and will interact with them if they are nice but I just want a place with fellow ordinary (if there is a clique like that left) students who just want to have a good time but also want to party....

So charles morris looks great just want it to be a sociable area ....not a ghost town.
Roman4life
thanks for the advice mate. I got nothing against rahs and will interact with them if they are nice but I just want a place with fellow ordinary (if there is a clique like that left) students who just want to have a good time but also want to party....

So charles morris looks great just want it to be a sociable area ....not a ghost town.

No place will be a ghost town, wherever you end up. I think also, if you have an infectious personality you can make everyone to be as socialable as you want them to be. :colone:
Roman4life

The only place that is clique and is not full of the ordinary student laid back yet sophisticated sorts is everywhere apart from Dev lol :biggrin:

Ludwig has a total point as to why Dev is the way it is. The building is nice but cannot be appreciated since its full of raving right wing mummas and daddas are rich or important students, or wannabe rich and importants students. Its a very immature bitchy infighting place just like any young Tory group is.

Wait until you meet the Leeds CF (Conservative Future), they all went for the cabinet positions and fell out over it jeeze its just the CF, its not a career. They had 100+ active members by October, there is only 12 active now after all the power playing ambitious backstabbing bitching. Lot of them live at Dev too, got sucked into this Cameron young and energetic BS, all changing Lib Dem now anyway the ones that can stomach they were wrong at least.

Charles Morris will be brand new it has not got the reputation drawing Tories in with its old traditions ZzzzzzZZz and tbh Dev kids are not rich they try make out they are, most of the better off students are actually your everyday joe just wearing a few labels who like to go out and club and party a lot. You would not really notice they came from rich families they just want a better enhanced living quality. These sorts atm live at Concept Place but that is due to change potentially next year.

Dev is the failed Cambridge Oxford kids pretty much, picked Leeds as it had a few old buildings and some resembelence in architecture to the grand old elite Unis, so they are very negative about the Uni and bitter about it all. Put it this way if you walk into a room of new freshers and they ask a short bit about you but automatically go onto your grades followed by "What does your mummy and daddy do?" then walk out calmly and run for your life and never mix with them again its social suicide LOL.
did anyone go to the accom open day today?

fancy telling me if lupton is a complete dive or not? or where's good really.
much appreciated :biggrin:
hattilongsoks

I saw it, and it was nice, fairly close to the campus and like right next to headingly. The building were a bit box like but, to be honest, who actually cares?

Cheap aswell
:smile:

I personally prefered north hill court, even though no-ones said anything about that here!

Which I guess is good for me for getting it as my accomodation choice and all
anna-christine
I saw it, and it was nice, fairly close to the campus and like right next to headingly. The building were a bit box like but, to be honest, who actually cares?

Cheap aswell

I personally prefered north hill court, even though no-ones said anything about that here!

Exactly, I'd prefer somewhere where the surfaces can be easily wiped of any bodily fluids and I don't have to get anyone in to repair my mahogany furniture.
anna-christine

Cheap aswell

Thanks for letting me know :smile:! North Hill court does look pretty decent too. Not sure what the application's are like but i think i'll be putting lupton, north hill and ....something else!

p.s. what you studying? im sure you'v already said in this thread so sorry for making you repeat!
hattilongsoks

Lupton is great on a budget, location etc. But the kitchens are always a bit crummey, so if you can afford en suite check IQ cheapest I think £80 week thats only like £5er week more, unless Luptons not £75 next year anymore. If you can afford more do it, if you cant stretch for IQ or Opal 3, Concept, Plaza or summit.

For some reason the headingly (Lupton is situated in) location has this artificial image of how good it is, but the bars are pretty overpriced for what they are the city is actually where it is at, but there never used to be any student accom affordable in the city, so I guess thats why headingly picked up all this momentum as a place to be. It is ok but as a substitute of the city, but some ppl make out its better.
Moonbeam1991
Lupton is great on a budget, location etc. But the kitchens are always a bit crummey, so if you can afford en suite check IQ cheapest I think £80 week thats only like £5er week more, unless Luptons not £75 next year anymore. If you can afford more do it, if you cant stretch for IQ or Opal 3, Concept, Plaza or summit.

For some reason the headingly (Lupton is situated in) location has this artificial image of how good it is, but the bars are pretty overpriced for what they are the city is actually where it is at, but there never used to be any student accom affordable in the city, so I guess thats why headingly picked up all this momentum as a place to be. It is ok but as a substitute of the city, but some ppl make out its better.

Hi Moonbeam, thanks for the info. I think Lupton is £79 this year but could be something to do with this gym membership thing.

I thought IQ wasn't in a good area? And are there not added bills into the price like internet and stuff? Cos i always look at these 'amazing' places and think they sound good until i read about extra costs and stuff and suddenly its like 90/100 quid :frown:

I'm still set on lupton tho cos of the grass and yeah i still like the sound of headingly even if it has over priced bars. I'm sure they'll do student discounts, nice for one drink or sumat.

I lived in Broomhill for a while in Sheffield and that had some nice pubs and a couple of over priced bars but i loved the area, hoping headingly will be similar.
Reply 215
I really like the location of Lupton and the fact that it is only £76.

But Oxley was lovely, £90 for an en ensuite room is pretty good, but i'm finding the distance from uni a bit of an issue, I would like to be walking distance to at least a few shops, food places etc. Can you walk from Oxley to the shops in Headingly? Also the buses that run from bodington and oxley do they just go to the university or do they also go to the city centre?

I got a very good feeling from James Baillie but £87-£90 for no en suite is quite pricey.
Clarence Dock was cool, it was a pleasant walk into town and the bar seemed really lively.
Ahhh decisions decisions!
hattilongsoks
Thanks for letting me know :smile:! North Hill court does look pretty decent too. Not sure what the application's are like but i think i'll be putting lupton, north hill and ....something else!

p.s. what you studying? im sure you'v already said in this thread so sorry for making you repeat!

In the application, you put down where you want to go most and then everythings that's important to you in an accomodation like ensuite, close to uni e.t.c

I haven't already said in this thread, so don't worry:smile:
I wanna do music
Ludwig Wittgenstein
Exactly, I'd prefer somewhere where the surfaces can be easily wiped of any bodily fluids and I don't have to get anyone in to repair my mahogany furniture.

haha, so true
anna-christine
In the application, you put down where you want to go most and then everythings that's important to you in an accomodation like ensuite, close to uni e.t.c

I haven't already said in this thread, so don't worry:smile:
I wanna do music

Thanks for letting me know :smile:

Music! Should be great? What instruments do you play/what's your favourite?

i'm gonna be studying History of Art
hattilongsoks
Thanks for letting me know :smile:

Music! Should be great? What instruments do you play/what's your favourite?

i'm gonna be studying History of Art

yeah, hopefully it'll be fab!
I play oboe and nothing else...can't sing, play the piano or guitar like most musicians can!

History of art sounds like it should be interesting, is it like anylising the work of michal angelo or davinchi?

Quick Reply

Latest