Turn on thread page Beta

Chose between bf and university watch

ReputationRep:
    i have the same sort of situation.

Been with my boyfriend for 2years and love him so much. He really wants to try when i go Uni, but I have to admit I'm one of these people who dislike long-distant relationships. I get moody when i dont see him for a week! :rolleyes:

Nevertheless, i know it would break his and my heart if i go to University and we never even gave the relationship a shot. If it doesnt work, at least we tried, if it does... bonus!

Before i met my boyfriend i would have said University without a doubt, but its much more complex to me now ive experienced "love" *how cheesy!* :rolleyes:.

The best advice i can give is, suggest trying it out, at least theres that reassurance that you didnt give up at the first sign of trouble and if you make it through, your meant to be.

ReputationRep:
    if he's making u choose he aint worth it. if ur made 4 each other a long distance relationship would work if u work hard 4 it...if u decide 2 do that, its not gonna b easy

ReputationRep:
    i was with this guy for a year or so, and he was at uni, but it worked, becuase we made it work, we saw each other almost every weekend and i think the relationship was stronger becuase it made the time we spent together more special.

ReputationRep:
    my bf and i are gonna try carrying on our relationship when uni starts (him at LSE and myself at Bath....hopefully!). Only after trying it out for a term r we gonna decide what to do i think that u shud do the same

ReputationRep:
    I think this is stupid. If given the choice between uni or himself, I am sure that your BF would want the best for you and want you to go to uni. Better get a digree and have a good life after rather than spand all your life working heh?

ReputationRep:
    ive been with my bloke for a year and abit and i met him while he was at uni, and too be perfectly honest it was hard in the start but it made us really close friends only speakin on the phone for 8 weeks really helped as there was no other people just me and him getting to know each other. Now hes just graduated and im goin to away to uni so its me now wondering whether to carry on the releationship. Long-term relationships can do work but u both have to be commited if not theres no point.
    I would choice my education over my bloke any day, as a education is for a life whereas men will just come and go.

ReputationRep:
    I was in exactly the same situation as you last year, I was going to university in Nottingham and my bf was staying at home to work and we're engaged now, but these relationships will only work if you are both really comitted. we see each other every weekend and talk on the phone every night. Saying that there are plenty of people who I know at uni who broke up with their bf/gf shortly after they started going to uni, even though it's hard it's a good test of the relationship and then you'll know if you really want to be together or if your just doing it though convience. Also although he doesn't sound that willing for a long term relationship at the moment his feelings may well be very different by next year, at the beginning my bf didnt think we'd last through uni. Equally you may not even be with him so I would definatly wait and see and decide much closer to the time. And even if you do break up there are loads of eligable blokes at uni! half my flat mates who came to uni single had bfs within the first term and you may meet somone you like better. Most importantly don't choose relationship or uni because you can have both if you want it enough!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 5, 2005
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.