Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My offer is AAB. I could get anything between AAABb and ABBCb + an A (i imagine) in general studies, but thats not in the offer. Eugh.

ReputationRep:
    I got my offer from Durham whilst I was in Oxford having my interviews - how distracting (but very reassuring)!

ReputationRep:
    I thought I was a poor candidate. I 'only' got 1A* and 4As at GCSE. I have no real musical/sporting talent and my personal statement showed no evidence of any great interest in my subject (law) though I would say it was very well-written. I was applying for one of the most competitive courses in the country, and for some strange reason I ended up getting an ABB offer. This was depsite everyone I met at the Open Day getting AAA as well as people from my College for other subjects. Strange.

I did appy to Cambridge - got rejected.

ReputationRep:
    Were you interviewed by the department?

Also it is your department which decides on your grade offer, so the offers recieved by people at your college doing different subjects would have no bearing on what your offer was.

ReputationRep:
    Aite!!! DON'T worry bout missing grades as long as it aint by much. Last yr i got in 2 durham 4 Law with an offer of AAA. However, I only got ABB, albeit both B's were narrowly off the A boundary - Bio was 478 and Eng Lit was 470 but they still let me in?!?!?! Don't know why - but anyway I got 64% overall in my exams this yr which was well above the average of around 55% so mayb they realise A levels ain't everything?!! aLso mayb that bribe i gave them helped but who knows(!)

ReputationRep:
    Aite!!! DON'T worry bout missing grades as long as it aint by much. Last yr i got in 2 durham 4 Law with an offer of AAA. However, I only got ABB, albeit both B's were narrowly off the A boundary - Bio was 478 and Eng Lit was 470 but they still let me in?!?!?! Don't know why - but anyway I got 64% overall in my exams this yr which was well above the average of around 55% so mayb they realise A levels ain't everything?!! aLso mayb that bribe i gave them helped but who knows(!)
    Really? On the open day they were so keen to stress that if you miss your offer, you've had it - forget it! They also said that for the last few years they haven't offered anybody a place if they didn't meet their offer? I'm confused now Were they lying to us?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan342)
    Really? On the open day they were so keen to stress that if you miss your offer, you've had it - forget it! They also said that for the last few years they haven't offered anybody a place if they didn't meet their offer? I'm confused now Were they lying to us?
    What seriously? Can't believe they said that if they let me in!?! maybe im a special case :confused: on results day director of studies at our school rang up law department and spoke to them and they agreed to let me in - apparently school i went to has a good relationship with Durham and an old boy of the school is quite high up in the durham hierarchy... nudge, nudge, wink wink if u get my drift??????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clenbuterol)
    What seriously? Can't believe they said that if they let me in!?! maybe im a special case :confused: on results day director of studies at our school rang up law department and spoke to them and they agreed to let me in - apparently school i went to has a good relationship with Durham and an old boy of the school is quite high up in the durham hierarchy... nudge, nudge, wink wink if u get my drift??????
    Nice to know they're not being bias or anything :mad: That actually pretty much boils my piss :mad:

It's not what you know, it's who you know

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its true that, that must boil ur piss bcos admittedly its pretty harsh on those that do get the grades but don't get an offer - however, I suppose I paid back their faith in me by gettin a decent mark this yr .... what also boils other ppls piss is ppl from north east getting offers of ABC to do Law and actually getting ABC... ABC shud be an incentive to come to Durham and given as a sign of how highly the department regards you as a student - thats my humble opinion at least!

ReputationRep:
    What seriously? Can't believe they said that if they let me in!?! maybe im a special case on results day director of studies at our school rang up law department and spoke to them and they agreed to let me in - apparently school i went to has a good relationship with Durham and an old boy of the school is quite high up in the durham hierarchy... nudge, nudge, wink wink if u get my drift??????
    Ahh I see

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clenbuterol)
    Whaaaat!? For Gods sake, sometimes I wonder about Durham Law Department. I've heard a few corrupt stories myself (I'm also a first year lawyer). Well...what can I say, lucky you. But shame on Durham corruption

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laces)
    Whaaaat!? For Gods sake, sometimes I wonder about Durham Law Department. I've heard a few corrupt stories myself (I'm also a first year lawyer). Well...what can I say, lucky you. But shame on Durham corruption
    Ooooh a first year lawyer....do you know anyone from Trevs? In particular, Claire, Jenny, Laura (complete geordie!), Jane, or Jason?

(It's sunday evening and I'm bored OK? :p: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dobbs)
    It's not what you know, it's who you know
    Well, yes. That's the way the real world works, so why would academia be any different? It's not corruption - how can it be? Durham is free to choose its students and it can take advice from people they know. So if your school happens to be respected and they said that you just had a blip and you're really good, would you want Durham to ignore it?

It can be galling if you personally missed your offer and someone else got in, but whose fault was it that you missed your grades? There are lots of things you can do to make sure that you don't miss your offer grades, like retaking any marginal AS levels or just working really hard.

What about the person who didn't get an offer, but ended up with better grades than you? How would they feel about your getting in with lower grades?

That's the thing - life isn't fair.

I have great sympathy for people who missed out, but accusing the college of corruption isn't a reasonable response, in my view.

Please note: the word 'you' is general and not directed at anyone in particular, it's just too cumbersome to write 'one' all the time.

ReputationRep:
    I had an interview for Physics at Durham. The college interview was the kind of social/why do you want to etc. type, but the department interview was really interesting and we worked thorugh some new physics ideas I hadn't seen before. It was actually quite good fun.

ReputationRep:
    why is durham rank so high for physics, and yet so low for maths...don't see the logic in that^o)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil23)
    why is durham rank so high for physics, and yet so low for maths...don't see the logic in that^o)
    Becasue they are totally seperate departments who dont share any lecturers

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, I'll have to take this a few points at a time:

(Original post by grumballcake)
    Well, yes. That's the way the real world works, so why would academia be any different? It's not corruption - how can it be? Durham is free to choose its students and it can take advice from people they know. So if your school happens to be respected and they said that you just had a blip and you're really good, would you want Durham to ignore it?
    Just because "that's how the real world works" it doesn't mean it's right or that we should allow it to happen. Just because in the real world some people are attracted to children for whatever reason, it doesn't mean we put up with paedophiles and not complain is it? (Stupid example I know) And I couldn't care less if people "had a blip", sorry, but exams are there to be like that - what about the people at less respected schools who "had a blip" but then didn't get an offer because the Head Teacher didn't happen to hold a Durham degree? It's unfair - whether you like it or not, it is. In fact, I *did* get worse grades than I needed, and I believe I worked my bloody damn hardest for my A-levels....but obviously not and so I DID resit certain A-level exams - meaning I spent an extra year at Sixth Form. THAT'S HOW YOU GET OVER BAD EXAM RESULTS....not by getting someone to phone the university to explain how they should still let them in :rolleyes:

What about the person who didn't get an offer, but ended up with better grades than you? How would they feel about your getting in with lower grades?
    This is something I really don't like, and it's why I'm a massive supporter of the new system that they want to bring in where you get your results in August, you apply to University in September then START University in January, giving us university years that don't start in September anymore, but are "in-line" with a normal calendar year. It means that Universities KNOW what grades you've got and makes it easier to decide, and the application process would be FAR FAR simpler!

That's the thing - life isn't fair.
    No, it's not, but we as a society should be doing ANYTHING and EVERYTHING to make things as fair as possible. For example Equal Rights legislation and Anti-Racism laws and all that...it's again, you can't just say "life isn't fair" and leave it be. If it were like that then we'd still have slave labour - whoops you were born in Africa, sorry mate you're a slave, yeah I know life isn't fair that's just the way it is :rolleyes:

I have great sympathy for people who missed out, but accusing the college of corruption isn't a reasonable response, in my view.
    I know you mention that you're not just talking about me, BUT I didn't mention corruption and I agree that that isn't a reasonable response, as it's a bit too strong a word for this situation. I'd say it's definitely unfair and everything should be done to stop this kind of thing, but it couldn't be called "corruption" - unless, of course, the admissions tutor's whole family just somehow all got into the University without any A-levels or anything lol

ReputationRep:
    The more I read about the whole admissions process for Universities in general, the more i feel there are a number of factors too great to contemplate at work. It's mind-boggling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisH2107)
    The more I read about the whole admissions process for Universities in general, the more i feel there are a number of factors too great to contemplate at work. It's mind-boggling.
    I think it's mostly down to chance. But as some guy said - 'everything will be ok in the end. And if it's not OK, it's not the end.' I like to think things generally turn out for the best!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by durhamdosser)
    I think it's mostly down to chance. But as some guy said - 'everything will be ok in the end. And if it's not OK, it's not the end.' I like to think things generally turn out for the best!
    That's a nice quote....can you think who 'some guy' might be?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.