The Student Room Group

Would you move home in my position?

Hi...

I'm just writing this thread to get some opinions from people as to what they would do if they were in my position.

I graduated from Kingston university this year and found a job as a teaching assistant (i'm hoping to do a PGCE next september) which i had to move to London for as that is where the school was. The money is pretty crap and leaves me quite skint each month but i don't mind as it's only a year.

However, next year is where i'm in total turmoil. I applied to do my PGCE back at Kingston next year but i'm originally from Kent, where they do a perfectly good PGCE course however i wasn't sure i wanted to move home after living away for so long. BUT it would save me so much money on rent!

I just can't decide, part of me really doesn't want to move home after this long away - it feels wrong and i know i'd hate it. On the other hand can i really fathom getting more into debt and paying all the money out again on student loans etc?

I was thinking of saving between now and next September to get me started once i go back to University - i also want to save my student loan i get and use it in the future but to do this i will have to be totally committed to saving between now and next year, which is pretty tough considering i don't earn much. Although i have a lot of free time as i live close to work and have weekends off so i was considering getting another job.

I really need to think long and hard and make a decision quickly as i haven't even applied to my home un- arrrgh!

Please help :frown:

Scroll to see replies

I'd say move home and just get on with it. You'll be grateful in the future that you did, when you've got more dollar :smile:
Just move home for it, youll be glad when your looking to buy a house and have a decent part of the deposit saved
Reply 3
P.s reading that back it wasn't very clear or well structured - apoligies, i rushed it!

I lived in Kingston for three years away from home before moving to London this year, for this job.

I was also thinking of moving back to halls should they have me, for the PGCE year as i keep having problems with housemates/living with friends. I think they do a seperate block for postgrad students.
Reply 4
brokenangel
Just move home for it, youll be glad when your looking to buy a house and have a decent part of the deposit saved

But i really don't like home. There isn't much going on and what if i never move away again?

I'm SOOOO confused! :frown:
Reply 5
If I wanted to go into teaching I would be in a similar situation (I go to a uni away from home but the uni in my home city does the PGCE course)
What are you reasons for not wanting to live at home exactly? is it the actual living with parents, being back in that city, lack of independence or a change back to your old friendship group?

I would apply to both away and at home unis to give myself more time to decide.
Anonymous
But i really don't like home. There isn't much going on and what if i never move away again?

What about somewhere cheaper then down south then. I know sunderland do a prity good PGCE course and the cost of living up here is really cheap. Also could you not work as a private tutor on a night now and during your PGCE to earn some extra money
Well if people have told you to move home and your response is "I really don't like home and don't want to move back there", why don't you just go back to Kingston?
Reply 8
if u wana save money i would move home.. if u feel you cant cope then save like crazy which is guna be tough if you think about as ur left skint pretty much each month, budget like mad! i personally would move back home
Reply 9
Pheonixx
If I wanted to go into teaching I would be in a similar situation (I go to a uni away from home but the uni in my home city does the PGCE course)
What are you reasons for not wanting to live at home exactly? is it the actual living with parents, being back in that city, lack of independence or a change back to your old friendship group?

I would apply to both away and at home unis to give myself more time to decide.

No - i miss my old friends terribly, BUT it's just such a small place in such a big world. There's nothing going on, everyone gossips and i just like being away from all that.

I don't really mind the thought of living with my mum but the thought of doing it for a year fills me with dread.

I guess it's just the money really.
Well I would avoid debt at all costs if u already have some.

Although you definitley sound liek you don;t wanna move home.

Perhaps just go for the cheapest housing you can find in kingston/

what are u planning on doing after the pgce - i.e where uw wanna work full time?
Anonymous

You have the choice to move home any time you want. Why not save yourself a few bucks then go wherever you like :smile:
Reply 12
jessticles87
Well if people have told you to move home and your response is "I really don't like home and don't want to move back there", why don't you just go back to Kingston?

That's what i'll probably end up doing, but the thought of spending all that money on rent again when i theoretically could move home and save it is really annoying me. :frown:
Reply 13
Clubber Lang

Although you definitley sound liek you don;t wanna move home.

Perhaps just go for the cheapest housing you can find in kingston/

what are u planning on doing after the pgce - i.e where uw wanna work full time?

I dunno, probably around the Surrey area i think - or perhaps in London. Certainly not home.
Reply 14
Clubber Lang

Well, it's only student debt.
Reply 15
Anonymous
No - i miss my old friends terribly, BUT it's just such a small place in such a big world. There's nothing going on, everyone gossips and i just like being away from all that.

I don't really mind the thought of living with my mum but the thought of doing it for a year fills me with dread.

I guess it's just the money really.

Why are you anon btw?

I'd move home in that case. You wont be stuck there, to be honest the chance you will be able to get a job close to home is quite small anyway and a year isn't that long.
Reply 16
Hmmmm yes - but i don't wanna get married yet!
(edited 3 years ago)
Anonymous
Well, it's only student debt.

I have student debt and when its taken out of my pay each months I don't think its only student debt, I think thats enough money to go to a gig or fill up with lots of petrol.
Reply 18
Clubber Lang
I have student debt and when its taken out of my pay each months I don't think its only student debt, I think thats enough money to go to a gig or fill up with lots of petrol.

Yes but that's nothing to do with my point - it won't be taken out of my salary until i'm qualified anyway - and i'm already in student debt so more won't make much difference.

P.s removed my anon :smile:
more debt is, in my mind, worth it to not have to live at home. Losing all the freedom you've had for the last few years is just horrible.

Latest

Trending

Trending