Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Classic Rock Society watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arsenic)
    lets see What kinda rocker are you...
    http://www.liquidgeneration.com/quiz/rocker_quiz.asp
    I'm a brit rocker as well, I like fungus on my teeth :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    good to see this society up and running..hey foxo whats are next order of business

ReputationRep:
    Ooh can I join? My "classic" likeage would include Chuck Berry, Lovin Spoonful, Spencer Davis Group, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Grateful Dead, Ry Cooder, The Band, Bob Dylan, Hank Williams, Woody Guthrie, Janis Joplin, Emmylou Harris, The Kinks... totally inexhaustible list.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, janis is genius! nothing compares to her voice, I wish I could listen to it live!

ReputationRep:
    Ooo can i join. All these youngsters dont get music do they, with there killers and razorlights and there babyshambles!

Long live rock!

(favourites include Led Zep, the who, cream, JHE, doors, clash, queen, rolling stones, kinks, pink floyd, john mayall)

ReputationRep:
    todays classic rock pick:

CCR-fortunate son
    traffic-dear mr fantasy
    blackbird-more
    april wine-roller
    grateful dead -bertha

enjoy the music!!!

ReputationRep:
    Nothing beats deep purple! listen and learn...
    also - gary moore happens to be the god of live music - the greatest show i've ever seen!
    (sign me up!)

ReputationRep:
    what to you is the main advantage that classic rock has over 'modern' rock? or maybe it's no better?

ReputationRep:
    It is so so much better! now wash your mouth out!

ReputationRep:
    aha ..good question aggi..poetry,chunky guitaring,humour..all of these culminate and give classic rock songs a soul..
    i do not dislike modern rock or anything but they do seem stagnant and miss the issue most of the times
    classic rock might reign from simpler times but the depth it possesess outreaches the depth of an abyss...i am in one of those moods forgive my post ....

ReputationRep:
    aha ..good question aggi..poetry,chunky guitaring,humour..all of these culminate and give classic rock songs a soul..
    i do not dislike modern rock or anything but they do seem stagnant and miss the issue most of the times
    classic rock might reign from simpler times but the depth it possesess outreaches the depth of an abyss...i am in one of those moods forgive my post ....
    Very well said :congrats:
    maybe i should have posted properly instead of being lazy....
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by aggi)
    I like the doors, does this count? please sign me up
    Oh yes, the Doors were quite something. Also like Pink Floyd and The Who!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    It is so so much better! now wash your mouth out!
    I didn't mean to say that modern rock music is better, I just wanted to know why other people (or whether) they appreciate classic artists more that they do the modern ones. I personally believe that classic rock is the stem of today's music and even though the whole thing (i.e. melody, lyrics) was often simple, it was so much true and so full of passion that it can hardly be denied that it is better in some respects.

although I admire the genius of classic rockmen, I don't despise the modern ones. I don't want to make any generalizations about music, so I I'm saying that modern music is generally worse, it isn't. it's different. aywhere in time, we saw artists taht just lack soul, their music is empty-and this is their problem.
    is that logic? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geogger)
    Oh yes, the Doors were quite something. Also like Pink Floyd and The Who!
    plus: it made me think of one more aspect:
    compare the doors' and pink floyd's lyrics. the first are quite simple while the second are genius. they are both regarded as classic geniuses though.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    True - much more complex layering.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    and what about Eric Clapton? *swoons

ReputationRep:
    I don't know much of his work, can you recommend anything?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    He was the main guitarist in Cream one of the first 'supergroups' - songs like 'I feel free' come to mind. He later worked alone and with other groups. 'Layla' and 'Tears in Heaven' are two other tracks I really like - especially the opening for the last one - it sends shivers down my spine.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.