Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter


    I'm wondering if anyone out there can offer a bit of advice. I'm 28 and finally in a position to fund myself through University and study for my veterinary medicine degree. Back when I was in college I was studying Chem, Bio, History & Maths at A-level and was predicted high grades, but had to leave college early without taking all my exams. Since then I've been working hard to save money together!!

    I've found it near on impossible to get a full-time A-level course (I'm in the position now where I can study full-time, and most I've found are only evening classes!) so I've been looking abroad for study options and have found a number of pre-vet programmes in Canada - in particular at the Nova Scotia Agri College. Most of the vet schools here in the UK have responded favourably to the potential of an application from me once I've completed the two year course - but I was curious as to whether anyone had some thoughts or comments on this option? Any experience??

    Thanks for any info!


    It sounds as tho it would be an amazing experience but you have to consider how a two year stay in canada will effect your funds. I am 24 and have just completed my bio and chem a-levels in a year. I know that Liverpool community college deffo take on mature students for full-time a-level courses and that there are many other adult education colleges that do the same. They also help you out financially if you need it and would help you find somewhere to stay. Hope this helps in someway and I wish you the best of luck.

    I find it strange that you've found it hard to find colleges and things where you can study for your A-levels. I had to retake my A-levels year this year and there were plenty of places where I live (Derby) that I could take them at. It just seems rather an expensive option to go all the way to Canada when you would probably find it easier to apply with A-levels, and it would be a lot cheaper too. Do you not have a mixed-ages college near you? I guess if not you could always re-locate somewhere in the UK, especially as you're planning to relocate anyway

    Anyway, good luck with it all,



students online now


Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.