Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I don't love America, I also don't hate America but I'm really quite sick of the growing 'We hate America' bandwagon. Its unbelieavable how many people are supporting this without any shred of reasoning. They simply do it because its the 'cool' thing to do.

If anyone can present an intelligent, persuasive argument for why America is a shithole, please do so, otherwise be quiet and stop talking about something you have no idea about. Its amazing how many people stereotype Americans as dumb, loud, patriots who don't realize theres a world outside of their country, yet think they themselves are somehow intellectually superior.

I'm sure that most of these people also believe Michael Moore's word to be truth, and think of Farenheit 9/11 as a documentary rather than a one sided piece of fiction (don't claim it isn't, just check out how many lies/unconfirmed rubbish he puts into that film). The guys a little rich ******* who presents himself as an 'average joe'.

Of course I'm not saying America is anything special, or it doesn't have its flaws. Every country has problems, America most probably has the most of the western countries and it does contain a lot of ignorant fools. Saying that it also has the most respected educational insituitions in the world and its the leading nation in scientific and medical breakthroughs. If the USA were wiped off of the planet, people would realize how much the country has done (besides start the Iraqi war).

ReputationRep:
    Clam down ...I for one have seen more people in this forum in support of america and what it stands for and I have yet to find someone who thinks what you are stating. Your whole post seems to be about how highly you regard america...well good for you.

ReputationRep:
    America is a huge continent, which involves Canada, USA.. latin America.. By the word "America" u meant USA?

ReputationRep:
    I have no opinion of USA good or bad, I would never **** off a country that I knew nothing about.

ReputationRep:
    I dislike the moral codes in the USA, but thats about it.

I've been to the USA a few times (admittedly only the East coast) and i met a lot of Americans. Yes, some are unpleasant individuals, but some are not.

I find American culture fascinating, and the way they live is something that i would like to experience...
    I also admire what i think is a very democratic and accountable society, where almost every individual has a say in what is happening, where, and why.

Besides, politically America is a crucial friend of the UK, and the "special relationship" (established by none other than Thatcher and Reagan) is one which i am very comfortable with.

Most of my friends have also been to the USA (admittedly it is Florida 90% of the time) and they all love it. Anti-American sentiment in the UK is low, and it has been for centuries.

ReputationRep:
    Only 8% of Americans have passports. LOTS of them are loud mouthed patriots who know nothing of the rest of the world. They are the biggest polluters in the world, they start the most wars, and they are the prime spreader of armaments. They support (ed) dictators when it suits them and give a tiny amount of their massive fortune in aid.

What lies were in Farenheit 9/11?

ReputationRep:
    UK is the 54th country with the highest anti american population..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    Only 8% of Americans have passports. LOTS of them are loud mouthed patriots who know nothing of the rest of the world. They are the biggest polluters in the world, they start the most wars, and they are the prime spreader of armaments. They support (ed) dictators when it suits them and give a tiny amount of their massive fortune in aid.

TRUE!

ReputationRep:

well going from NY to california would be like us going from here in the UK to the middle east.

its vast. but most of them speak english. great stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by che guevara)
    UK is the 54th country with the highest anti american population..
    Source?

I can't say i've ever been asked about my view on Americans...

ReputationRep:
    Bashing the US is trendy... people will protest deaths and "injustice", while failing to register mass genocide by others.

ReputationRep:
    So because they dont travel they are bad people?

They produce 25% of the world pollution and 25% of the worlds GDP.

They start the most wars? Very simplistic view.

They supported dictators? That does nothing to differentiate them from any other country in the world.

To begin with that only one congressman's son was in Iraq. It was a complete lie. There were others... though I cant be bothered to list them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beekeeper_)
    Source?

under 18s were not asked.. source Euro News..

ReputationRep:
    Source?

It's possible since conducting surveys is impossible in large parts of the world. For all we know, Britain is 54th out of 60.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by che guevara)
    under 18s were not asked..
    So its already flawed, and i don't believe my parents were asked either, who are both definitely over 18, and have been for a very long time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    To begin with that only one congressman's son was in Iraq. It was a complete lie. There were others... though I cant be bothered to list them.
    If you want to create a substainable arguement you have to add facts and quote your sources. It seems like you are just making up statistics to suit your view.

ReputationRep:
    The American's don't exactly love us. "Limey brown toothed tea sipping morons" appears to be the average opinion towards those from Britain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KdySk8rGirl)
    If you want to create a substainable arguement you have to add facts and quote your sources. It seems like you are just making up statistics to suit your view.
    http://fahrenheit_fact.blogspot.com/

For your viewing pleasure.

ReputationRep:
    So its already flawed, and i don't believe my parents were asked either, who are both definitely over 18, and have been for a very long time!
    LOL .. do u want them to held a referendum? The surveys r based on specific number of ppl from every race, religion and class..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    The American's don't exactly love us. "Limey brown toothed tea sipping morons" appears to be the average opinion towards those from Britain.
    I would say that is far from true though... I found almost every american I have met while living in the US to be overly fond of the British.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 7, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.