Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by KdySk8rGirl)
    The U.S. seems to think its better than everywhere else. It just annoys me how they take credit for things that other countries invented. Ive even heard a few Americans refering to the English language as "American". I mean the least they can do is give the right country credit.
    I give England credit for the Americans speaking english. But how about all the people that claim the Americans are butchering the english language, should the butcher job be called american??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iz the Wiz)
    Again---what are these "standards"? Where are you getting this stuff?
    Not deliberately making factual errors or omissions?

Happy Independence Day.

(Original post by Made in the USA)
    It wasn't a documentary.
    Yer right, it was political satire.............I've said this twice now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Douglas)
    I give England credit for the Americans speaking english. But how about all the people that claim the Americans are butchering the english language, should the butcher job be called american??
    In the ESL realm there are British English and American English. Schools will teach one or the other and usually can specify.

ReputationRep:
    Those are definitions of the adjective "documentary." When used to mean a category of film, the word "documentary" is a noun. Dictionary.com (which, I see, is the website where you got your definitions) lists one noun under its entry for the word:

"A work, such as a film or television program, presenting political, social, or historical subject matter in a factual and informative manner and often consisting of actual news films or interviews accompanied by narration."
    You are proving my point. Using either definition, Moore's film is not a documentary. As douglas said, it is political satire, nothing more.

(Original post by Kondar)
    In the ESL realm there are British English and American English. Schools will teach one or the other and usually can specify.
    That's interesting, I thought english was english with the exception of a few colloquialisms and idioms here and there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    You are proving my point. Using either definition, Moore's film is not a documentary. As douglas said, it is political satire, nothing more.
    Have you seen the movie? Just curious.

What's something that you feel is "not factual"? Don't just direct me to those websites---I don't want to slog through endless paragraphs about how W. is wearing a different necktie. Tell me something that you yourself have a problem with in the movie Fahrenheit 9/11.

ReputationRep:
    What was the purpose of the movie? To inform or to help someone win an election? I believe Moore himself the latter was his main purpose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)
    Clam down ...I for one have seen more people in this forum in support of america and what it stands for and I have yet to find someone who thinks what you are stating. Your whole post seems to be about how highly you regard america...well good for you.
    Guess you haven't read This thread then

ReputationRep:
    Have you seen the movie? Just curious.

What's something that you feel is "not factual"? Don't just direct me to those websites---I don't want to slog through endless paragraphs about how W. is wearing a different necktie. Tell me something that you yourself have a problem with in the movie Fahrenheit 9/11.
    I downloaded it off of kazaa and watched most of it. That was the only way I could think of getting ahold of it without giving Moore one cent of my hard-earned money.

What's something I feel is not factual? Where do you start? It would be easier telling you what was accurate. Why don't you want to look at some of those sites? Afraid you might learn something?

How did Bush win Florida? MOORE'S FILM......"Second, make sure the chairman of your campaign is also the vote count woman." Actually Florida Secretary of State Katherine Harris (who was Bush's Florida co-chair, not "the chairman") was not the "vote count woman." Vote counting in Florida is performed by the election commissioners in each of Florida's counties. The Florida Secretary of State merely certifies the reported vote. The office does not count votes.
    QUOTE ......"A little while later, Fahrenheit shows Jeffrey Toobin (a sometime talking head lawyer for CNN) claiming that if the Supreme Court had allowed a third recount to proceed past the legal deadline, "under every scenario Gore won the election."

Fahrenheit shows only a snippet of Toobin's remarks on CNN. What Fahrenheit does not show is that Toobin admitted on CNN that the only scenarios for a Gore victory involved a type of recount which Gore had never requested in his lawsuits, and which would have been in violation of Florida law. Toobin's theory likewise depends on re-assigning votes which are plainly marked for one candidate (Pat Buchanan) to Gore, although there are no provisions in Florida law to guess at who a voter "really" meant to vote for and to re-assign the vote."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Douglas)
    How did Bush win Florida? MOORE'S FILM......"Second, make sure the chairman of your campaign is also the vote count woman." Actually Florida Secretary of State Katherine Harris (who was Bush's Florida co-chair, not "the chairman") was not the "vote count woman." Vote counting in Florida is performed by the election commissioners in each of Florida's counties. The Florida Secretary of State merely certifies the reported vote. The office does not count votes.
    “The vote total was certified by Florida's secretary of state, Katherine Harris, head of the Bush campaign in Florida, on behalf of Gov. Jeb Bush, the candidate's brother.”---“Bush Team Conveyed an Air of Legitimacy,” San Diego Union-Tribune, December 16, 2000

This is massive deception? Referring to the woman who certified the vote count as the "vote count woman"?

......"A little while later, Fahrenheit shows Jeffrey Toobin (a sometime talking head lawyer for CNN) claiming that if the Supreme Court had allowed a third recount to proceed past the legal deadline, "under every scenario Gore won the election."

Fahrenheit shows only a snippet of Toobin's remarks on CNN. What Fahrenheit does not show is that Toobin admitted on CNN that the only scenarios for a Gore victory involved a type of recount which Gore had never requested in his lawsuits, and which would have been in violation of Florida law. Toobin's theory likewise depends on re-assigning votes which are plainly marked for one candidate (Pat Buchanan) to Gore, although there are no provisions in Florida law to guess at who a voter "really" meant to vote for and to re-assign the vote."
    Moore's point was, of course, that Gore got more votes---which is a fact.

ReputationRep:
    another view...

http://www.davekopel.com/Terror/Fift...enheit-911.htm

ReputationRep:
    An obvious one you can't deny:

When Moore shows quick shots of Newspaper headlines criticising Bush, they're fake. They never existed.

This is massive deception? Referring to the woman who certified the vote count as the "vote count woman"
    F-9/11 implied that Kathrine Harris (a republican) was in charge of the vote count, where in fact, she had NOTHING to do with the vote count

Of course you know that's not true, every legitimate news organization in the country has acknowledged Bush's victory

ReputationRep:
    Of course you know that's not true, every legitimate news organization in the country has acknowledged Bush's victory
    Precisely. He won despite having less share of the vote, because of the Electoral college.

ReputationRep:
    Nationwide, yes; in Florida, debatable at best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kondar)
    No trust me, its a big deal with them. They joke around that people from the states think they are the only people from "America".

Maybe Canuck can comment on this?
    Well, we have to keep in mind that your friends are the sort of people who would hang out with you...so...they're clearly an exception to the norm. I've yet to encounter a non-US-American who would claim to be "American," rather than "North/South/Central/Latin American."

I haven't seen Canuck around lately... he may have collapsed from hockey withdrawal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    Precisely. He won despite having less share of the vote, because of the Electoral college.
    And he's the fourth person to do so. What's your point? Last time I checked, Blair didn't get a majority of the British vote, yet he has an overwhelming majority of the seats in Parliament.

(Original post by zaf1986)
    zaf, we're talking about Florida.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 7, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.