Turn on thread page Beta

'we hate America' bandwagon...pathetic watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KdySk8rGirl)
    The U.S. seems to think its better than everywhere else. It just annoys me how they take credit for things that other countries invented. Ive even heard a few Americans refering to the English language as "American". I mean the least they can do is give the right country credit.

i agree you completely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    The worst you can accuse her of is orthodoxy. She was just following the letter of the law. Had she made an exception, her reputation and credibility would have been in the gutter and she surely would have lost her job, which did not include the duty to create new laws to fit unique situations. The bitterness over this person doing what Florida law dictated that she do is just pathetic.
    You keep saying this was "the letter of the law," and that the deadlines were built in to Florida's constitution, but you haven't backed that up one bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iz the Wiz)
    You keep saying this was "the letter of the law," and that the deadlines were built in to Florida's constitution, but you haven't backed that up one bit.
    Yes, I did. To reiterate post #134 http://thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost...&postcount=134:

(Original post by me)
    Florida legislation sets a ballot-certification deadline.[http://archives.cnn.com/2000/LAW/12/...ecount.ruling/]

(Original post by CNN)
    The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday set aside a ruling by Florida's highest court that allowed manual vote recounts to proceed after a November 14 ballot-certification deadline set by that state's legislature

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I did. To reiterate post #134 http://thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost...&postcount=134

The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday set aside a ruling by Florida's highest court that allowed manual vote recounts to proceed after a November 14 ballot-certification deadline set by that state's legislature
    You quote the first sentence from that article, but ignore this: "[J]ustices were indeed interpreting state laws and set the later deadline in a bid to resolve a conflict between two state election laws making unclear whether Harris 'shall' or 'may' reject manual recount totals filed after the November 14 deadline."

And this:

"The Bush camp contends the Florida Legislature passed laws years before November 7 of this year, specifying November 14 as the deadline for the state's votes to be counted and certified barring voter fraud, problems with ballot machines or other serious problems."

Leaving unhelpful paragraphs on the cutting room floor! For shame! Who are you, Michael Moore, Jr.?

ReputationRep:
    You quote the first sentence from that article, but ignore this: "[J]ustices were indeed interpreting state laws and set the later deadline in a bid to resolve a conflict between two state election laws making unclear whether Harris 'shall' or 'may' reject manual recount totals filed after the November 14 deadline."

And this:

"The Bush camp contends the Florida Legislature passed laws years before November 7 of this year, specifying November 14 as the deadline for the state's votes to be counted and certified barring voter fraud, problems with ballot machines or other serious problems."

Leaving unhelpful paragraphs on the cutting room floor! For shame! Who are you, Michael Moore, Jr.?
    Actually, I didn't bother reading beyond the first paragraph, because that was all I needed.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, I didn't bother reading beyond the first paragraph, because that was all I needed.
    No, you needed the info in those later paragraphs. Because they point out that Florida legislation prescribes deadlines except in the event of vote problems or problems with ballot machines, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I am an American.

Many Americans are proudly ignorant. Many are proudly intelligent.

We are a gigantic nation. For the most part, I love America. Americans....not so much at times.

ReputationRep:
    No, you needed the info in those later paragraphs. Because they point out that Florida legislation prescribes deadlines except in the event of vote problems or problems with ballot machines, etc.
    And recounts had already been conducted before the deadline. However, Gore and Co. wanted to keep recounting until Armageddon or until the vote swung his way, whichever came first. It's perfectly reasonable to go with the first deadline, since recounts did not change winner of Florida. Once again, sour grapes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pav27)
    o that film). Saying that it also has the most respected educational insituitions in the world and its the leading nation in scientific and medical breakthroughs..
    Are you sure? If thats true i'd imagine it's only in relatively recent history...and probably because it has the most cash per person to invest in science, and their system nabs the best european academics to come over for bigger pay!
    I would say Britain, along with some others in Europe share in having the most respected educational institutons with the US......

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 7, 2005
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.