ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    my second interviewer said something like that too:p:

Really? lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbailey)
    Really? lol
    well, not exactly.

he actually said he was surprised that she didn't guide the interview towards that area:yy:

ReputationRep:
    You should have talked to her about natural killer cells and the placenta... that would get you an unconditional offer
    I so should have paid more attention in immunology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    well, not exactly.

he actually said he was surprised that she didn't guide the interview towards that area:yy:
    That's her area of research. I've searched for papers on natural killer cells and immunity and found her name (quite accidentally) on many author lists. You might think that would happen with all our lecturers, since they're at Cambridge, but some are more well-known than others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I so should have paid more attention in immunology
    Me too! I found the only substitute was to read The Immune System by Parham. Immunology was the only part of Path I liked, even though I didn't realise it at the time. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Me too! I found the only substitute was to read The Immune System by Parham. Immunology was the only part of Path I liked, even though I didn't realise it at the time. :p:
    Oooh no, it's all about virology even if, thanks to the excessive use of Epstein-Barr virus as an example the lectures mostly consisted of me being pointed and laughed at by my delightful friends :p:

ReputationRep:
    Oooh no, it's all about virology
    If you like memorising the size of capsid proteins...

even if, thanks to the excessive use of Epstein-Barr virus as an example the lectures mostly consisted of me being pointed and laughed at by my delightful friends :p:
    Oh well, that's what you get for choosing a life of debauchery :p:

ReputationRep:
    If you like memorising the size of capsid proteins...

Oh well, that's what you get for choosing a life of debauchery :p:
    But that's just minor detail to get you started. The key is to learn one or two really well (in my case, EBV, naturellement, HIV, measles and rabies) and then just background on the others. I found virology and bacteriology great.

And I was NOT debauched! I got it after the first term of first year, when I'd been positively angelic compared with the last year Besides, you've probably got it too. :p: And I don't think I caught it from that

So yeah, Robinson have cool supervisors for Medicine.

ReputationRep:
    But that's just minor detail to get you started. The key is to learn one or two really well (in my case, EBV, naturellement, HIV, measles and rabies) and then just background on the others. I found virology and bacteriology great.
    You're probably right - better than overloading your brain by trying to learn all of them in full detail. (And subsequently getting confused)

So yeah, Robinson have cool supervisors for Medicine.
    Don't change the subject! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to keep it on topic!

The thing was, thanks to rowing etc last term, I was woefully underprepared for exams this term. Much though I'd have liked to know all the examples given, in mind-numbing detail, the time I had left by the time I actually got my arse into gear and did some work, didn't allow for it - cue lots of "efficient" learning strategies which judging by my result, didn't work too badly

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to keep it on topic!

The thing was, thanks to rowing etc last term, I was woefully underprepared for exams this term. Much though I'd have liked to know all the examples given, in mind-numbing detail, the time I had left by the time I actually got my arse into gear and did some work, didn't allow for it - cue lots of "efficient" learning strategies which judging by my result, didn't work too badly
    I don't know how you coped with rowing in exam term, there was so much to revise. I must admit that I've become a little disillusioned by exams this year, though. I'm not convinced that spending all your time revising is worth it when the effect of luck can effectively erase a few weeks' work in terms of the end result.

Maybe I just have post-exam blues :p:

Oh, and speaking as someone who probably put in more hours revising (due to lack of rowing), you can NEVER be anything but woefully underprepared for these exams.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how you coped with rowing in exam term, there was so much to revise. I must admit that I've become a little disillusioned by exams this year, though. I'm not convinced that spending all your time revising is worth it when the effect of luck can effectively erase a few weeks' work in terms of the end result.

Maybe I just have post-exam blues :p:

Oh, and speaking as someone who probably put in more hours revising (due to lack of rowing), you can NEVER be anything but woefully underprepared for these exams.
    Well, to be honest part of it was because my boat was a bit of a shambles and as we didn’t have a proper crew, spent a long time just doing three outings a week (though I’d usually have to sub into the firsts about once a week) which wasn’t as hard as our training schedule in Lents. Plus my options were relatively light on workload. Then about 2 weeks before exams I moved into blind-panic mode and locked myself in my room and became pretty unbearable to live with. But so was everyone else on my staircase, so it’s mutual!

I was not impressed with some of the questions, especially in stuff like Pharm, where a lot of questions are all down to interpretation. Luck also does play quite a major part, though I don't see why you're complaining. :p: I felt the essays went better this year than last though.

ReputationRep:
    I was not impressed with some of the questions, especially in stuff like Pharm, where a lot of questions are all down to interpretation. Luck also does play quite a major part, though I don't see why you're complaining. :p: I felt the essays went better this year than last though.
    I'm not going to discuss the ins and outs of my exam performance on a public forum, but suffice to say the exams went a lot worse for me this year. I count myself very lucky to have achieved a first under the circumstances, since there are several papers where my mark was pretty shocking (you'll assume I'm exaggerating, but I'm not). I believe I actually went into more depth in my learning than in the first year, so either I was unlucky in the exams or I tackled the whole process of revising wrong the second time round. It wasn't for lack of effort though. I feel it came down mostly to the quality of my revision the night before. This is why I feel how I do about the current system. My roommate, who came similarly high last year, also dropped to almost the same position this year. It's quite freaky actually.

ReputationRep:
    Ouch. I dunno what can have caused it - if high fliers like you dropped a long way, that means other people must have rocketed up the charts. Nobody at Clare got a first who didn't last year though. :confused: I think I found the 2nd MB exams worse than last year (especially that Pharm practical and the Neurophysiology practical :bawling: ) but the essays were better, or I'd learned how to write better essays.

There's always next year to shine though

ReputationRep:
    Ouch. I dunno what can have caused it - if high fliers like you dropped a long way, that means other people must have rocketed up the charts. Nobody at Clare got a first who didn't last year though. :confused: I think I found the 2nd MB exams worse than last year (especially that Pharm practical and the Neurophysiology practical :bawling: ) but the essays were better, or I'd learned how to write better essays.

There's always next year to shine though
    We had four firsts this year, compared to two last year, so I don't think I can blame the quality of supervision for my lower result. In fact, I think some of our supervisors this year have been brilliant. With regard to people rocketing up the charts, I expect there are only a few people who have moved around a lot, and I always assumed that this was to do with putting in a lot more work in the second year or getting too comfortable (which I was not) and therefore working less. The fact I dropped a lot of places would only mean that a lot of people would move up by one place, which isn't all that significant for them.

I knew before my results came in which papers had gone badly, so I was not surprised. I guess it might have been just bad luck (if you can put 50% on the pharm essay paper down to bad luck!), but the stress of having so many exams in such a short space of time probably played a role in making it happen. In short, I blame no one but myself for my lower result. However, I'm sure there are many people like me who have just had a bit of bad luck - it's not like I had a mental breakdown or anything - and reorganising exam week could help everyone to achieve their full potential.

Next year to shine.... this is reminding me of school cross country where I started by coming 9th, then 13th, then 35th (out of ~100).... Maybe I do get comfortable too easy!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.