Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey guys.
    What info can you give me on Robinson College?

ReputationRep:
    It is known as the Tit car park.

p.s. for those of you who don't know me, I don't talk much sense.

ReputationRep:
    That Tit thing is never going to catch on.

Try the website. The gardens are quite nice but the buildings aren't - it's loads of red bricks - not the traditional Cambridge college but maybe that's what you're looking for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    That Tit thing is never going to catch on.
    Doh!

ReputationRep:
    I was at Robinson for the year 12 shadowing thingy in Feb. I liked it But yeah its not the traditional Cambridge college. Still tis good though

ReputationRep:
    I've had a look at the website and to be fair Robinson seems like exactly the sort of place i would be able to thrive for 6 years.

I'm not too keen on the OTT "prestigious" colleges like Caius, King's, Peterhouse etc (but to be fair if you get a place at any of the colleges isn't that prestigious enough?)

Robinson seems fairly relaxed in their admissions policy and criteria whereas Caius seem to expect most candidates to have above 7A*.

My application (due to extenuating circumstances) is what i would call pretty non-standard and out of the ordinary which is why i was encouraged to contact the colleges directly and Robinson seemed the most encouraging and positive.

Also Cambridge tend to interview nearly all applicants wheras as Oxford interview less than 33% bah!

We'll see anyway I may not end up applying but looking at the website i hope do get to apply as Robinson seems like exactly the sort of place i would like to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR P. ENIS)
    I've had a look at the website and to be fair Robinson seems like exactly the sort of place i would be able to thrive for 6 years.

I'm not too keen on the OTT "prestigious" colleges like Caius, King's, Peterhouse etc (but to be fair if you get a place at any of the colleges isn't that prestigious enough?)

Robinson seems fairly relaxed in their admissions policy and criteria whereas Caius seem to expect most candidates to have above 7A*.

My application (due to extenuating circumstances) is what i would call pretty non-standard and out of the ordinary which is why i was encouraged to contact the colleges directly and Robinson seemed the most encouraging and positive.

Also Cambridge tend to interview nearly all applicants wheras as Oxford interview less than 33% bah!

We'll see anyway I may not end up applying but looking at the website i hope do get to apply as Robinson seems like exactly the sort of place i would like to be.

Robinson may not seem prestigious but the standards there are remotely different from those in other colleges...most people i spoke to for the interview day had minimum 5A*5A, many with all A*'s. Its different to the other colleges though...in its own lil way..great food there as well...i just hope i can get the grades!

ReputationRep:
    Don't be down heartened if you have got non-perfect GCSE results though. I know of someone who got a place at Oxford despite an E in GCSE DT, whilst I had the marginally non-standard 5*, 4A and a black tooth of a B in History. I was applying for Cambridge Engineering though...

Oh, and a good friend of mine successfully applied to Oxford with AS Levels of ABBD. Oxford, of course, doesn't ask to see your AS UMS.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    That's another problem. Because of the situation i'm in i actually have no AS UMS marks to submit. It's complicated but if you want to know more PM and I'll tell you.

Surely not every applicant submits AS marks even when requested?

ReputationRep:
    Well, are you able to submit Cambridge Special Access application? That would probably give your application a way to explain why your GCSEs aren't the Cambridge average, and why your AS results aren't there yet.

Good luck: I absolutely believe in elitism, and if you're in the intellectually elite then you should have all the help to get around whatever problems the system's thrown at you.

And I think you pretty much have to give your UMS: if you didn't then it would make them suspicious possibly. My questionnaire was from Peterhouse, so I imagine that it's at a college's discretion. I think they all (apart from mature colleges) would.

If you're still worried about your situation (i.e. being brighter than you are on paper :P) then applying to a college where they maybe test you at interview, or have longer / more interviews would give you a better chance to shine.

ReputationRep:
    Nah my GCSEs aint the problem it's just I followed a one year a level course as opposed to two so i don't have UMS marks.

Also im going to have to resit as i was seriously ill during the exam period and have spoken to Robinson College directly who seem to be fine with the situation.

ReputationRep:
    if you want more info on robinson just pm me.

MB

ReputationRep:
    I just like the buildings very much and have applied to it.
    I saw it not having a high percentage entrance compared with others.
    So competitive too...actually competitive everywhere in Oxbridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR P. ENIS)

If the people at Robinson seem friendly and encouraging there's a lot to be said for applying there. Unless you have very specific requirements, all you need to do is find a college that you have a good feeling about.

ReputationRep:
    binson people are nice

and give good hugs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naelse)
    binson people are nice

and give good hugs
    Really? I've never noticed,

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicbloke)
    Really? I've never noticed
    The hugs or the being nice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicbloke)
    Really? I've never noticed,

MB
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I studied at Robinson and had an ace time. I felt it was the kind of place I would enjoy and I was right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermerp)
    The hugs or the being nice?
    Sorry, I should explain - selena's decided she likes hugging me.

MB

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.