Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do any of you read the news sometimes and just feel so utterly cynical about the world that you just feel there is no hope and no point in even trying to make it better? What's the point, why can't everybody just see that it is in our collective interest to get along. I know I sound like a naive idealist (which I am not by the way), but some of the misery one reads of is just so unnecessary, and often created by human error and selfishness.

ReputationRep:
    I feel like that all the time, then I think that I may as well ignore it and get on with my life. Dont try to change the world, just concentrate being happy in your own life.

ReputationRep:
    nah i have a relentless drive that always keeps me going.

but i know what you mean...news is there to tell us about the **** of the world. rarely the good or success stories get as much mention.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i know what u mean but u just have to trust that God will keep u and u're family safe and everything will be ok

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah totally.... some issues are not completely helpless though.

Oh btw Theron your signature would be better as 'Airborn to do it' ... see what I did there?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. The newspaper photographs of human remains splattered on Iraq streets after a terrorist attack usually induce such feelings of complete and utter despair.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, there is a lot of **** happening in the world, and whenever we watch the news it seems it's just filled with violence and hatred.
    Perhaps you should use this as in inspiration to make something of yourself, to drive you on to achieve something to be proud of and to try to fill the news one day with something nice, and fun, you know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theron)
    yeah i know what u mean but u just have to trust that God will keep u and u're family safe and everything will be ok
    Now who sounds like a naive idealist? Have you read the book of Job?

Whenever I hear something terrible that happens it motivates me to a) not get hung up on the tiny, insignificant, meaningless things that I could let worry me and b) try and do whatever I can to help others. There's a poem I once read about a priest on his deathbed. To paraphrase:

At first I tried to change the world. Then, when I realised I couldn't, I tried to change my country. When that failed, I tried to change my parish. Failing that, my family. And now, lying here about to die, I realise that if I had changed myself, it might have influenced my family to change, and in turn my parish, my country and the whole world.

Do your best to be positive, cheerful, polite, kind and helpful. You don't know how many lives you might change.

ReputationRep:
    I know, with all bad things going on in the world I sometimes think things can't be changed, but if we all did our bit and made just one person smile, then thats done some good.

The news is always full of all the bad stuff that happens, that's why I don't watch or read it, but at the same time, good things are going on too, they just don't get reported. Look at Abigail Witchalls, she suffered a terrible attack but has the hope and faith things will get better, and now her condition is slowly improving. It said yesterday that she can now stroke her sons hair, small achievement, but means so much to her.

Anyway, don't give up!

ReputationRep:
    Tony Blair makes me feel like giving up, the man is a ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jd27)
    Do your best to be positive, cheerful, polite, kind and helpful. You don't know how many lives you might change.
    ............and if THAT isn't a guideline for leading a good life, then I don't know what IS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramroff)
    ...............selfish, self-serving egotist? Just like MOST politicians become eventually?

ReputationRep:
    Tony Blair is excluded, he doesn't count, he's an idiot. He could make anyone feel like giving up! Don't worry you're not alone on that one...best policy is to ignore him

ReputationRep:
    how can you ignore him when hes turning the country into a police state, do you realise the govt will know everything there is to know about us eventually and we will be monitored

ReputationRep:
    how can you ignore him when hes turning the country into a police state, do you realise the govt will know everything there is to know about us eventually and we will be monitored
    The government already does know everything there is to know about you, and if they don't they can find out in a matter of minutes. In fact any old snoop or hacker can. It's that easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chiron)
    The government already does know everything there is to know about you, and if they don't they can find out in a matter of minutes. In fact any old snoop or hacker can. It's that easy.
    but there still is a degree of privacy we maintain. with the establishement of ID Cards, Satellite Tracking on Cars, CCTVs, and many more, the relationship between us and the state changes, and instead of it being the other way around, we will have to account for ourselves to the state.

ReputationRep:
    but there still is a degree of privacy we maintain. with the establishement of ID Cards, Satellite Tracking on Cars, CCTVs, and many more, the relationship between us and the state changes, and instead of it being the other way around, we will have to account for ourselves to the state.
    While I understand your fears, I think you grossly underestimate the extent to which our lives are already monitored and even controled by greater powers - commercial and political. Besides, I believe there are benefits to giving up some of our privacy.

ReputationRep:
    benefits such as? i fail to see any

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently having difficulty choosing to side with Labour or Lib Dems. Bah.

Whilst I prefer Labour principles, they rarely seem to match them. And I disagree with the Lib Dems on leaving Iraq, the reasoning behind 50% tax on £100,000 and over, and their leniancy towards marijauna.

ReputationRep:
    to be honest foxo I think the entire system needs to be scrapped and modelled on some of the central european countries, this 2 party system is useless, especially as labour and the tories are practically identical, apart from a few things like stance on immigration and europe etc

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.