Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    OK, I used to be a big fan of TB, but recently I have become disillusioned. So can somebody please give me a good reason to like him again. How has Tony Blair improved our country in the last decade?

ReputationRep:
    i cant think of much he'll be remembered for beyond the iraq war.

ReputationRep:
    I hate him, and always will. Ok, Im biased because Im an SNP voter, but the Iraq war was just the final straw. I honestly dont know why he got elected for a third term.

ReputationRep:
    What Tony Blair has done for me:

- Fighting terrorism
    - Made closer ties with the USA
    - Introduced the Human Rights Act.

ReputationRep:
    My biggest problem with him is that he doesn't seem to have any political philosophy and he does not seem genuine. He basically seems directionless and opportunistic to me. Some of his early colleagues (the ones who weren't completely blown over by his charm) noted this and many considered him to be completely lacking in political conviction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KdySk8rGirl)
    I hate him, and always will. Ok, Im biased because Im an SNP voter, but the Iraq war was just the final straw. I honestly dont know why he got elected for a third term.
    Devolved scottish and irish assemblies..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chiron)
    My biggest problem with him is that he doesn't seem to have any political philosophy and he does not seem genuine. He basically seems directionless and opportunistic to me. Some of his early colleagues (the ones who weren't completely blown over by his charm) noted this and many considered him to be completely lacking in political conviction.
    Isnt that true for all politicians? Only one I could think of which contradicts all the above is possibly Tony Benn and Galloway. And even these two keep rumbling about the same stuff all the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)
    Isnt that true for all politicians? Only one I could think of which contradicts all the above is possibly Tony Benn and Galloway. And even these two keep rumbling about the same stuff all the time.
    I guess so but my biggest problem is like...what has he actually done. I really want to like him but it gets harder and harder.

ReputationRep:
    I guess so but my biggest problem is like...what has he actually done. I really want to like him but it gets harder and harder.
    A good policy I could think of is the fact that he gave independence to the MPC....

ReputationRep:
    Fighting terrorism...
    Yeah, a lot less recruits nowadays :rolleyes:

Made closer ties with the USA...
    Yeah, that made him popular

Introduced the Human Rights Act.
    Is this in betwee supporting the massacre of 100000 Iraqis and supporting idenity cards/car tracers?

He has attacked the poor by not introducing the link to earnings and refusing to charge the rich fair income tax rates. He boasted to Goldman Sachs that their income tax wouldn't rise under his leadership. He's boasted about draconian trade union laws.He reated the firefighters like dirt. He introduced market forces into the NHS an University Education. He's chased away over half of his party membership too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    Yeah, a lot less recruits nowadays :rolleyes:

Yeah, that made him popular

Is this in betwee supporting the massacre of 100000 Iraqis and supporting idenity cards/car tracers?

He has attacked the poor by not introducing the link to earnings and refusing to charge the rich fair income tax rates. He boasted to Goldman Sachs that their income tax wouldn't rise under his leadership. He's boasted about draconian trade union laws.He reated the firefighters like dirt. He introduced market forces into the NHS an University Education. He's chased away over half of his party membership too.
    I'm not here to try and legitimise everything Tony Blair has done, i'm just responding to the original question.

Are you denying that the Human Rights Act was a good move by Tony Blair?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beekeeper_)
    I'm not here to try and legitimise everything Tony Blair has done, i'm just responding to the original question.

Are you denying that the Human Rights Act was a good move by Tony Blair?
    a conservative supporting hra? - theres a first for everything.......

ReputationRep:
    Minimum wage in 1999.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be really cynical and say hes the less of the two evils, I'd rather have Blair over anyone from the conservatives.......

ReputationRep:
    OK, I used to be a big fan of TB, but recently I have become disillusioned. So can somebody please give me a good reason to like him again. How has Tony Blair improved our country in the last decade?
    Helped give us the longest run of economic stability in living memory. Kicked the tories out of office and has established the labour party very well in government. Introduced the minimum wage, raised Britain's profile abroad, helped people out of poverty, redistributed some wealth, improved healthcare and schooling (particualrly primary education) just to name a few. With a few exceptions I believe that he has been a great prime minister.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    Minimum wage in 1999.
    Wow 8 Years of Blairs smug face and we get a few extra pence from a minimum wage :eek:

ReputationRep:
    helped people out of poverty, redistributed some wealth, improved healthcare and schooling
    We spend less on school meals now, for example, than under Thatcher. The gap between rich and poor has grown. Child poverty is once again on the increase. Market forces into higher education, and the much hated academies.

I will admit that school buildings are a lot bettee, no longer are kids being taught in mobiles with no roofs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    no longer are kids being taught in mobiles with no roofs.
    Bring back the mobile huts!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blur303)
    Helped give us the longest run of economic stability in living memory. Kicked the tories out of office and has established the labour party very well in government. Introduced the minimum wage, raised Britain's profile abroad, helped people out of poverty, redistributed some wealth, improved healthcare and schooling (particualrly primary education) just to name a few. With a few exceptions I believe that he has been a great prime minister.
    TB didn't redicstribute weatlh nor did he intend to. He specifically abolished Clause 4 from the labour manifesto - the clause which stated Old Labour's obsession with "redistribution of weatlh". New Labour was about creation of wealth and redistribution of opportuniy - the latter which I believe TB has gone some way to achieving, but at some cost. The problem with improvements in Education etc is that statistics lie; they can be doctored to give the desired impression. Children come out of the primary school system knowing only the answers to 11+ questions. Not a wide education if you ask me. Health has improved (yes I know it may not seem like it, but it really has) since the Tories and indeed in the last few years. The problem is that the news focusses only on the desparate and bad side of things, ignoring the improvements. The economy if you ask me is partly due to a global economic trend in the last few years, and perhaps even a spin off from Thatcher's policies, so that is not entirely TB's work. However, Gordon Brown has done a splendid job reigning in the government's borrowing which was becoming excessive under the Tories. My biggest problem with Blair is that he seems like the sort of guy who wouldn't destroying something that works perfectly well, just so that he can get his name into the history books for creating something brand new in its place.

ReputationRep:
    TB didn't redicstribute weatlh nor did he intend to. He specifically abolished Clause 4 from the labour manifesto - the clause which stated Old Labour's obsession with "redistribution of weatlh". New Labour was about creation of wealth and redistribution of opportuniy - the latter which I believe TB has gone some way to achieving, but at some cost. The problem with improvements in Education etc is that statistics lie; they can be doctored to give the desired impression. Children come out of the primary school system knowing only the answers to 11+ questions. Not a wide education if you ask me. Health has improved (yes I know it may not seem like it, but it really has) since the Tories and indeed in the last few years. The problem is that the news focusses only on the desparate and bad side of things, ignoring the improvements. The economy if you ask me is partly due to a global economic trend in the last few years, and perhaps even a spin off from Thatcher's policies, so that is not entirely TB's work. However, Gordon Brown has done a splendid job reigning in the government's borrowing which was becoming excessive under the Tories. My biggest problem with Blair is that he seems like the sort of guy who wouldn't destroying something that works perfectly well, just so that he can get his name into the history books for creating something brand new in its place.
    He has overseen some redistribution alongside Gordon Brown, tax credits are a mechanism for redistribution. I would say though that more redistribution is needed.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.