Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i accepted cam instead

ReputationRep:
    lol that's excellent. They rejected me so i can't help with your question. Bit of a useless post really, where did you accept instead? xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecustardqueen)
    hi

i turned down an offer at bristol and got an email asking why. i just wondered if everyone who turned down an offer from bristol got this.

thanks

kel
    i got this a few weeks ago aswell

ReputationRep:
    Quite a few uni's do it - it helps them build a database of what 'sort' of person is likely to turn them down - they use the information for modelling future years predictions for offers made 'v' places taken up...

ReputationRep:
    I turned down an offer from Bristol and never got such an email (unless it got accidentally filed as spam or something).

ReputationRep:
    It might be that they could see exactly why you rejected them, or could take a good guess. Don't forget that as soon as you tell UCAS what your firm and insurance offers are going to be, the uni's you applied to can see where else you applied...

ReputationRep:
    I got one of those from Plymouth, Notthingham Uni and Sheffield Uni last year when I turned them down. It's just data gathering, as has already been said..

Mine were letters though - not emails..

ReputationRep:
    - You reminded me, just filled my Bristol Questionnaire in now!

I got one from Exeter too.

ReputationRep:
    I got one from Exeter, but not from Bristol because I am going there!

Where are you going?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I got one, but only got it yersterday, so dont worry people who havent got it yet! I thought it was just to see why people rejected them, and change the things that people rejected them on possibly?

ReputationRep:
    So just out of interest, what did people write about why they rejected Bristol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susiemakemeblue)
    So just out of interest, what did people write about why they rejected Bristol?
    i said their interview questions were really stupid, they weren't testing anything. Time management questions.. lol, i'm doing a levels in 1 year, so i think i know how to time manage, i was nervous so i answered crap and got a high offer. I said they should of asked more academic questions like ucl and manchester did.

ReputationRep:
    i told em that i rejected them cuz they didnt try hard enough to persuade me that it is a good uni.!! where as i was getting e mails, leaflets etc from other unis....i was given the impression that they didnt want me :mad: and i had 6 offers so i REJECTED THEM...haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    i said their interview questions were really stupid, they weren't testing anything. Time management questions.. lol, i'm doing a levels in 1 year, so i think i know how to time manage, i was nervous so i answered crap and got a high offer. I said they should of asked more academic questions like ucl and manchester did.
    So pretty course specific then. Was that for law?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospector60)
    i told em that i rejected them cuz they didnt try hard enough to persuade me that it is a good uni.!! where as i was getting e mails, leaflets etc from other unis....i was given the impression that they didnt want me :mad: and i had 6 offers so i REJECTED THEM...haha
    I didn't get emails or leaflets from any of the unis I applied to! Bristol gave me quite an early offer, which was nice. But their open day wasn't very good, I have to say. I think when I get there I might make a few suggestions about how to attract potential students! For the English open day all I got was a crappy map which was printed on dark green paper and there were no signs or anything. I think they could have had a couple of volunteers at the station and a minibus - there were enough people for it to be worthwhile.

ReputationRep:
    Bristol tend not to be too 'here have this, look at the uni, please come here' though, 'cos they can afford for people to walk away/not apply because it's so oversubscribed.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I got one for Leeds...I guess it's used to improve the admissions days and to ensure that enough information is provided to prospective students etc..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susiemakemeblue)
    So pretty course specific then. Was that for law?
    nah, it was for audiology. I asked about Bristol's course structure and was kinda disappointed when they told me about it. Was really weak comparing to my other choices, real shame though because i really liked Bristol, if it was a better course structure and a different/better department i would of chose bristol as firm without a doubt. Hopefully they read what i wrote in the questionnaire, it was a lil harsh because they were kinda nice at first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    Bristol tend not to be too 'here have this, look at the uni, please come here' though, 'cos they can afford for people to walk away/not apply because it's so oversubscribed.
    Yeh exactly what i was thinking, the top unis dont do that, which is why the leaflets/ads you see/get are usually from lower ranked unis. Like LSE never even sent me a letter once (even though they eventually rejected me, some time after).

ReputationRep:
    I got what seemed to be endless line of letters from the University of Birmingham.
    They sent me 7 letters to my house and the UCAS offer, plus a huge folder on the open day with no less than 8 thick bookets, a pen, pencil, helmet shaped pencil sharpener, eraser and a badge. I actually felt they were just wasting paper near the end.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.