Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecustardqueen)
    hi

i turned down an offer at bristol and got an email asking why. i just wondered if everyone who turned down an offer from bristol got this.

thanks

kel
    Yeh I got it I was hoping a good answer mayb mean they may take me from Clearing? they do know my post code and date of birth after all so they could find out just who it was So much for being anonymous though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinghFello)
    I got what seemed to be endless line of letters from the University of Birmingham.
    They sent me 7 letters to my house and the UCAS offer, plus a huge folder on the open day with no less than 8 thick bookets, a pen, pencil, helmet shaped pencil sharpener, eraser and a badge. I actually felt they were just wasting paper near the end.
    Demontford did the same to me, left voice messages on my phone too. At night i was getting prank phone calls after i chose my offers lol, could of been demontford!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospector60)
    i told em that i rejected them cuz they didnt try hard enough to persuade me that it is a good uni.!! where as i was getting e mails, leaflets etc from other unis....i was given the impression that they didnt want me :mad: and i had 6 offers so i REJECTED THEM...haha
    You do realise the lack of advertisment is probably because Bristol is SO good, they don't need that sorta promotion? The ones that needs advertising tends to be the lower ranking ones, whereas Bristol is well-known to be an excellent uni - heh well-known for Oxbridge rejects. While those Oxbridge applicants didn't make it into Oxbridge, I can't imagine that group of people would be very bad in quality at all.

I rejected Bristol namely because they were unclear about what was happening with the Undergrad Masters prog - they seemed to imply you had to be interviewed a second round in your second year to see if you'd be accepted into the MSci prog/get a placement. All in all they weren't clear about it. Nottingham made it clear and said you're almost guaranteed a placement in their MSci course, which is also to say you go straight into it

Besides all that, the major factor in the end is, Bristol it was MSci Pharmacology, Nottingham it was MSci Neuroscience I chose Nottingham for that very reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    Demontford did the same to me, left voice messages on my phone too. At night i was getting prank phone calls after i chose my offers lol, could of been demontford!
    LOL!
    They must have been desprate to have you. It can't be very often that they receive an application from a student offering above Ds and Es!

ReputationRep:
    I think even universities like Bristol should make an effort to attract the best students. I was more impressed with Manchester at their open day, to be honest, although not after subsequent contact with their English department. But the Manchester open day was stupidly well organised and everything they did really showed them off in the best possible light. The students were friendly and enthusiastic. The person who showed me round at Bristol was just awful and we didn't get to see any accommodation either.

I think plenty of people reject Bristol because they feel there is a stuck up attitude, as if they are too good to advertise. Well it is a great uni, otherwise I wouldn't have chosen it over places like York, but just imagine what they could do if they really pulled out all the stops and got the very best people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susiemakemeblue)
    I think even universities like Bristol should make an effort to attract the best students. I was more impressed with Manchester at their open day, to be honest, although not after subsequent contact with their English department. But the Manchester open day was stupidly well organised and everything they did really showed them off in the best possible light. The students were friendly and enthusiastic. The person who showed me round at Bristol was just awful and we didn't get to see any accommodation either.

I think plenty of people reject Bristol because they feel there is a stuck up attitude, as if they are too good to advertise. Well it is a great uni, otherwise I wouldn't have chosen it over places like York, but just imagine what they could do if they really pulled out all the stops and got the very best people.
    I agree, i didn't have no open day or no introduction unlike my other decent choices:
    leeds, manchester, ucl

Audiology is a new degree, although they advertised it reasonably well before the interviews, when i got there they couldn't be assed to even telll me what i am going to be learning lol. I suppose i wasted a few choices and a journey with aston,bristol,demontford.

ReputationRep:
    I have a few stupid questions....
    I'm gonna have to start applying to unis soon as I ahd just finished my AS levels. The problem is I don't know much about most unis or about the application process. So my question is what do you mean you chose a uni as your firm/insurance? What happens if you don't meet the conditions of anyof those two?
    I know you apply to 6 unis through you UCAS....Can you accept the offer of any of the 4 although they're not your insurance/firm?
    Also...If I'm asked to come for an interview but I can't due to that fact that I'm an international student who requires a visa to enter(which take CENTURIES to get due to security issues)....what do I do? Is that a valid excuse and will they still accept me?

Sorry if this is not relevent but I don't know anyone who can help me...plz tell me if this is bothering anyone because I'll just delete it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fisfos815)
    I'm gonna have to start applying to unis soon as I ahd just finished my AS levels. The problem is I don't know much about most unis or about the application process. So my question is what do you mean you chose a uni as your firm/insurance? What happens if you don't meet the conditions of anyof those two?
    I know you apply to 6 unis through you UCAS....Can you accept the offer of any of the 4 although they're not your insurance/firm?
    Also...If I'm asked to come for an interview but I can't due to that fact that I'm an international student who requires a visa to enter(which take CENTURIES to get due to security issues)....what do I do? Is that a valid excuse and will they still accept me?

Sorry if this is not relevent but I don't know anyone who can help me...plz tell me if this is bothering anyone because I'll just delete it.
    You apply to 6 courses, usually the same course at 6 different universities, but you can also apply to more than one course at the same university. Once you get your offers, you have to accept 2 and reject the others. You choose a firm offer, which is where you really want to go, and an insurance offer, usually with lower grades, in case you don't get the grades for your firm. If you don't get into either, you can go through something called clearing, which is where all the universities who still have places accept students who've missed their offers. I think sometimes an interview can be arranged in your own country, but very few universities interview applicants now anyway, so you should be fine. Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fisfos815)

In addition to what kelly said, you might find these links useful about applying, offers, extra, clearing, etc...:

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/apply/applying_online.pdf
    http://www.ucas.ac.uk/getting/deadlines/
    http://www.ucas.com/getting/after/extra.html
    http://www.ucas.com/getting/clearing/index.html
    http://www.ucas.com/getting/before/index.html
    http://www.ucas.com/getting/after/index.html

After you send your UCAS form away, you will recieve a booklet on what to do next.

For the interview part, they might call you by phone to do it. It depends what courses you are applying to. If it's medicine, dentistry, drama, vetanarian science, etc... you need an interview.

Before you can go into UCAS clearing, you can go through UCAS extra if you want to. This is where you can apply to more uni's when all 6 uni's does not accept you, or you decline them all.

Remember the suggested deadline for applications is Jan 15. For Oxbridge, dentistry, vetanrian science, and medicine is Oct 15.

ReputationRep:
    i got a free watch from DeMonfort! simply for visiting them and having them as one of my 6 choices despite turning them down...crazy

ReputationRep:
    That just makes them look desperate.

Some unis are aloof and indifferent, some are keen to have you, and some are desperate to have you. They need to be keen.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Susie.

I chose my firm (Bath) because they seemed like they wanted me to go there, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if I didn't. If they had wanted me really badly, I would have worried about why they were so desperate, and if they didn't appear to want me at all, I would have felt a bit isolated and rejected.

I haven't had any surveys from the places I turned down, which is good because I hated declining their offers after making them go through the trouble of looking through my application and so on! I felt so guilty...I'm such a wimp!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susiemakemeblue)

I felt the same too, rejected Bristol and accepted Manchester as firm. I really liked Manchester openday, went to both general and subject specific ones whereas I missed the One and only general open day at Bristol in June, and the subject specific one seemed abit dull although the sandwiches were good. The professor guy seemed like a right old d*** when he did a casual interview with the applicants at lunch.

I filled in the questionnaire, only because they said that i mite win something for completing it :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXMessedUpXx)
    i got a free watch from DeMonfort! simply for visiting them and having them as one of my 6 choices despite turning them down...crazy
    I turned them down to, as I chose the university to fill up more choices.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much!
    I really appreciate your help!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.