Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/finance/bursaries2005/
    anyone getting this or will be? Also, i know its been discussed elsewhere, but i cant find that thread...but what are the typical living costs at oxford, and in particular LMH? i heard the accommodation is expensive...what about stuff like maintainence of college sports or taking part in clubs etc?

cheers

PK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil23)
    http://www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/finance/bursaries2005/
    anyone getting this or will be? Also, i know its been discussed elsewhere, but i cant find that thread...but what are the typical living costs at oxford, and in particular LMH? i heard the accommodation is expensive...what about stuff like maintainence of college sports or taking part in clubs etc?

cheers

PK
    :mad: I'm soo annoyed abou this - I thought I'd qualify for the Oxford Opportunities bursary, did their calculator thing and it looked like I'd have lots of financial support which would be great having been the year that missed out on EMA. Anyway, this year they only give you money if your LEA have granted remission of your entire loan. :mad:

Rant over now...um, so no I don't think I will be getting it.

Is anybody else scared that everybody there will be really really rich...? I know its a stereotype.

ReputationRep:
    man the summer break is so boring! - anyone oxford people doing anything intersting this summer?

ReputationRep:
    Not really. I've got a job, as I don't have an Oxford Bursary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RxB)
    Not really. I've got a job, as I don't have an Oxford Bursary.
    got a job! - ucky - i've tried a few dozen places and none of them want me! maybe my CV was ****...but they all awnt experience over academic qualifications - its so hard to get a job

pk

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know whom one has to see in college to sort out the claim for the Oxford bursary?

Do we have to see the bursar, or someone else? I'm sort of confused cos my college has not sent me any info about this,

cheers

PK

P.S. does anyone know how it is paid? i.e. in installments or £1000 straight away?

ReputationRep:
    you reckon you can get it? i thought you was paying full tuition fees?

ReputationRep:
    think you get it all in one go (or your battel balance is minused from it).. my poor (!) friends who got it certainly did some splashing out in the first term. but they've changed the divorced parents loophole since then i think.. :p:

& yep, full fee remission, not merely full loan.

most college sports won't necessarily have costs associated - use their own facilities etc. but for uni ones (& rock climbing specifically ) you might have to pay subs/buy your own equipment i guess - try their website/emailing.

ReputationRep:
    half free remission gets yu nothing does it? even if on full loan...

ReputationRep:
    I only sent off my student finance forms off a week yesturday, so im guessing it will course some problems, is there anythink i need to do, like go and see someone when i get to oxford to explain!!!

I know i wont be entitled to anythink but i dont wanna pay the college fee's cos that would just take out my savings, and it says as long as you have filled in all the correct paper work you dont have to pay it if your a british student!

And does anyone know how long its gonna take to get any word back from student finance???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Chueco)
    half free remission gets yu nothing does it? even if on full loan...
    nope (unless they've changed it & a cheque is on its way to me as we speak *crosses fingers!*) - join the masses of 'inbetween' people.. :rolleyes: :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gazzag)
    I only sent off my student finance forms off a week yesturday, so im guessing it will course some problems, is there anythink i need to do, like go and see someone when i get to oxford to explain!!!

And does anyone know how long its gonna take to get any word back from student finance???
    You may have to pay international (college) fees this year then. You should have applied for British fees back in spring/summer before July to guarantee that the forms are processed in time. My college charges everyone international fees unless they receive written proof you're a british student (u need the form you receive from student finance direct which confirms this). To be honest, it sounds to me like you've been incrediably lazy and I don't have much sympathy for you if you do have to pay international fees...you should have applied earlier like everyone else

ReputationRep:
    got a job! - ucky - i've tried a few dozen places and none of them want me! maybe my CV was ****...but they all awnt experience over academic qualifications - its so hard to get a job

pk
    Actually, I find out the secret trick: they dont give a rats ass about experience - they just dont want to invest time and energy in you only to see you leaving for university a month or two later. Either pretend you're not going to university or if you still want to put Oxford down there, say youre deferring/taking a year out. It how I got two jobs this summer.

Ps - to the person worried about rich people, dont be. Ultimately everyones a student and has money worries of some kind, and there are lots of student deals in bars and shops. Also most people eat in hall which is kept as cheap as possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    charges everyone international fees unless they receive written proof you're a british student (u need the form you receive from student finance direct which confirms this).
    I still have last years form from the finance direct cos i was supposed to start last year but missed my grades, if i show them it and explain that i missed the dead line cos i missed loads of college for personnel reasons they would postpone me having to show them the form and not charge me international fees, also i have the recipt from last week saying that it has been handed in from my local council one stop shop.

I hope i dont have to pay it cos i would bearly manage to survive with such a fee! Thats more then i earned for working 70 hours a week during summer!

ReputationRep:
    noone answered my question. Whom does one eligable for the Oxxford bursary have to see?

cheers

PK

ReputationRep:
    i would hazzard a guess that the staff know how to do their jobs & you're not the first Oxford Bursary student ever. :rolleyes:

so i'd say no one - just provide any information as & when the college ask for it - which will depend on college specific procedures.

if there's a problem & you haven't heard/it come through within the first week or so then the Home Bursar's Secretary/Assistant are good starting points for money esque issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    i would hazzard a guess that the staff know how to do their jobs & you're not the first Oxford Bursary student ever. :rolleyes:

so i'd say no one - just provide any information as & when the college ask for it - which will depend on college specific procedures.

if there's a problem & you haven't heard/it come through within the first week or so then the Home Bursar's Secretary/Assistant are good starting points for money esque issues.
    Thanks I'm well poor :rolleyes: ...donno what i'd do without the free money

ReputationRep:
    Damn, im nervous now i hope they dont spring a big fee on me when i get there!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I'm well poor :rolleyes: ...donno what i'd do without the free money
    if you're getting the Oxford Bursary then the lack of any tuition fees, full loan of ~£1,500 to start you off & the knowledge there'll be another bonus £1,000 at some point means i don't think it'll be quite necessary for you to start hammering on doors telling people to do their jobs & hurry up & give you all your money!

just make sure you have a copy of all your LEA assessment / SLC info because the Accounts Dept. may need to make copies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    if you're getting the Oxford Bursary then the lack of any tuition fees, full loan of ~£1,500 to start you off & the knowledge there'll be another bonus £1,000 at some point means i don't think it'll be quite necessary for you to start hammering on doors telling people to do their jobs & hurry up & give you all your money!

just make sure you have a copy of all your LEA assessment / SLC info because the Accounts Dept. may need to make copies.
    oki dokey...btw, what college are you at Elles, and are you going to be in the third year and for what course? I must have asked you this a eyar ago, but i just cant remember...sorry!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.