Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Are there any errors that you made in maths exams this year that you can't seem to get over?

For me I made a really stupid mistake in AEA Maths.

I had: [email protected] = 1 and [email protected] = 1 and then proceeded to say R = 1 :|
    Obviously it was Sqrt(2), and also getting a different value for @.
    Thus my solutions to the equation were wrong.

Really annoying.

I don't mind it as much when I fail to spot something, I kinda accept it was a lack of ability/intuition for certainly that question, but a silly pointless error like that frustrates me to hell.

I hope they don't knock off more than 2 marks for that...

ReputationRep:
    Length of rectangle = 2p
    Height of triangle = cos p

Area of rectangle = p cos p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nima)
    Are there any errors that you made in maths exams this year that you can't seem to get over?

For me I made a really stupid mistake in AEA Maths.

I had: [email protected] = 1 and [email protected] = 1 and then proceeded to say R = 1 :|
    Obviously it was Sqrt(2), and also getting a different value for @.
    Thus my solutions to the equation were wrong.

Really annoying.

I don't mind it as much when I fail to spot something, I kinda accept it was a lack of ability/intuition for certainly that question, but a silly pointless error like that frustrates me to hell.

I hope they don't knock off more than 2 marks for that...
    I can remember that in my O Level Maths exam, for which we had to sit 2 papers, and most of my friends scored 100% on both, I scored 100% and 98%. The fact that we were given marks and not grades gives you some idea of how long ago this was...

I worked out that for some trader, having invested £1000 and made £50 profit, this was obviously a 20% return...

If I can still remember it after all these years, I think there's a fair chance that I shall never get over it.

Aitch [80% on target, 5% off beam...]

ReputationRep:
    Yes I know what you feeling! not nice. It's lack of concentration so i'm told and it happens a lot to me. It's most irritating when you work so hard then **** up. Inability is acceptable, its those silly things that cost you most at heart.
    ever had 13 marks knocked off for doing e^(-kt+ln20) as 20+e^-kt ?Man i cried for days after my C4. Easiest marks/question on the paper!!!!! I had it in the bag.... argh!

ReputationRep:
    Some over the summer:

Show the centre of mass of these wires : Used it as a lamina

Find the speed of the particle in coefficient of restitution question: Stuck an equation of v in as w...!

Find the domain: I found the range

Find the weight: I found the mass

GCSE papers I did a couple of real gems that cost me a huge amount of marks

Find the perimeter of a triangle (Given value, given value and x) ..I just found x

And on another question, I thought there were 360 seconds in an hour.

Senior Maths challenge 2004

I thought 23 was not a prime number

I thought the word cube was the word square

As you see, I am very prone to lapses in concentration >,<

ReputationRep:
    Kaiser, you're not on your own! (i thought i was until now lol)
    S1 paper 2004, a dice has values on faces 1,2,3,5. I saw (i swear blind i saw them!) 1,2,3,4,5,6! cost me a **** load did that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KAISER_MOLE)
    Some over the summer:

And on another question, I thought there were 360 seconds in an hour.

And when you're doing the exam, it actually feels as though there are only 360 seconds in an hour...

Aitch

ReputationRep:
    Something that I did before my recent exams:
    I wrote down on a piece of paper, every mistake i could think of to avoid.
    Just you have to have make the **** up once before to know about it LOOL!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aitch)
    And when you're doing the exam, it actually feels as though there are only 360 seconds in an hour...

Aitch
    :rofl: rep for that

ReputationRep:
    Yeah last year's P1...simply that 5 x 2 = 20. Kicked myself for about a day, I was sore after that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spenceman_)
    Yeah last year's P1...simply that 5 x 2 = 20. Kicked myself for about a day, I was sore after that.
    That happens when people think to quickly (in a rush) and imagine things...

You probs thought 5 x 2 to be 5 x 2² =20

:p: Its good to make mistakes, you learn from them, but not good when in exams :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    well for me : in P4 edexcel: there was something that said: at t=0 x=3 , i used x=1
    and in M4 edexcel: there was a differential equation tht i could had done EASILY, bt i forgot to do the particular integral part

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yazan_l)
    well for me : in P4 edexcel: there was something that said: at t=0 x=3 , i used x=1
    and in M4 edexcel: there was a differential equation tht i could had done EASILY, bt i forgot to do the particular integral part
    Differentiation is so much easier then integrating, agree? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Doing a practice AEA paper before friday, I lost marks on an algebraic equation becuase of failing to recognise you get spurious answers when you square the equation.
    I took heed of my mistake. Then during firday's AEA (Q2) i did the same thing, got to the end and (quite literally) couldn't be bothered checking for spurious answers, i.e. 13pi/12 17pi/12.
    So that'll have cost me about two marks and tbh I need as many as i can get, because I reckon I'm pretty borderline on 'merit'.
    So I'm relying on getting about 4 'S' marks, as well as a few for working on questions I didn't complete.

Does anyone know:

a) When they say 'S' marks are awarded for questions fully correct in principle blah, blah blah...I assume they are talking about full questions i.e. Q1. Am I right?

b)How much the 50% grade boundary can fluctuate, if at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vijay1)
    Differentiation is so much easier then integrating, agree? :rolleyes:

ya diffrentiation is easier!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trunksss6)
    b)How much the 50% grade boundary can fluctuate, if at all?
    A fluctuation of 0.7 standard deviations from the mean, relative to the other grade boundaries, which is not a lot of fluctuation. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Given the difficulty of the paper would everyone agree that the grade boundary is more likely to go up than down?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trunksss6)
    Given the difficulty of the paper would everyone agree that the grade boundary is more likely to go up than down?
    Definitely 100% sure of that,

ReputationRep:
    i made a silly mistake in my FP1 exam. it was a silly question on section B. i knew how to do it. id written da rite formula but i multilpied 4 times instead of 3.
    and in D1 i made a silly mistake on the LP question
    i still have nightmares bout them now! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vijay1)
    Definitely 100% sure of that,
    But it can't go up too much - only a few marks at the very most, surely?

I'm just after a distinction that I wasn't expecting at all before the exam. Just about every one of my answers agreed with other people on here :tsr: (bar silly mistakes that will cost one or two marks such as thinking tan¼πsec¼π = 1 or something). I don't want the boundaries to go up .

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.