Turn on thread page Beta

Music off the net/iPods watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi I was wondering if some people could give me some advice...Im a bit behind the times when it comes to my music in that I still have a portable CD player and carry CDs around with me, but recently I have been looking into getting an iPod or something similar...only I dont really know what you do with them. I mean where do you get the music off the net from and how do you transfer it to the little box that sits in your pocket? Im probably sounding really thick, but I need to ask someone! Any information on getting (i think its a MP3 player!) would be great be it iPods or some other sort...Thanks...

ReputationRep:
    For iPods, you need firewire / USB2.

If you have a new computer you should have USB2 (USB(1) is too slow).

You can get firewire cards for around £50.

Then you plug the pod into the card and use iTunes to sync your playlists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mjf)
    Hi I was wondering if some people could give me some advice...Im a bit behind the times when it comes to my music in that I still have a portable CD player and carry CDs around with me, but recently I have been looking into getting an iPod or something similar...only I dont really know what you do with them. I mean where do you get the music off the net from and how do you transfer it to the little box that sits in your pocket? Im probably sounding really thick, but I need to ask someone! Any information on getting (i think its a MP3 player!) would be great be it iPods or some other sort...Thanks...
    definitely worth it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    For iPods, you need firewire / USB2.

If you have a new computer you should have USB2 (USB(1) is too slow).

You can get firewire cards for around £50.

Then you plug the pod into the card and use iTunes to sync your playlists.
    I have a new 17" iMac which has the iTunes, but where would I get the music from in the first place e.g tthe websites etc? What do I need to get from them? I really dont know what to do! LOL!

ReputationRep:
    Well, you can buy music from the iTunes store (if you live in teh US) or various other places.

OR you could download music (illegally)
    OR buy music CDs and 'rip' tracks (ie turn them into mp3s).

CDs are the easiest way to go usually. (iTunes can rip CDs I think)

ReputationRep:
    downloading isnt necessarily illegal....

but yeah, its best to rip them from CD's, then you can choose your own bitrate (quality of music), from 64kb/s right up to 320kb/s (128 is the norm). if u need ripping software, musicmatch jukebox or windows media player will do it (altho it only records in WMA format), or u could get Audiograbber

i still think it's cooler to have a CD collection, and the sound quality is still superior to mp3 players.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    Well, you can buy music from the iTunes store (if you live in teh US) or various other places.

OR you could download music (illegally)
    OR buy music CDs and 'rip' tracks (ie turn them into mp3s).

CDs are the easiest way to go usually. (iTunes can rip CDs I think)
    How do you download music illegally? Where can I buy music from seeing as Im from the UK? I mean not a Cd obviously!

ReputationRep:
    How do you download music illegally?
    do u know of kazaa.......

there are loads of sites online as well which offer pay-per-download mp3s (which are legit).... i think mp3.com would be an obvious start, u can search on google for more of them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)

there are loads of sites online as well which offer pay-per-download mp3s (which are legit).... i think mp3.com would be an obvious start, u can search on google for more of them
    kazaa doest work on macs sadly, there are several p2p programs available for the mac, however i do not want to incriminate myself further, look on: www.zeropaid.com

if link doesnt work, just type it in your address bar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    kazaa doest work on macs sadly, there are several p2p programs available for the mac, however i do not want to incriminate myself further, look on: www.zeropaid.com

if link doesnt work, just type it in your address bar
    Download some Funeral For A Friend.

Is that Jet in your picture MattG?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toffee)
    Download some Funeral For A Friend.

Is that Jet in your picture MattG?
    nope fugazi, but i do have jets album

oh and ive seen funeral for a friend, they were crap (imho)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    nope fugazi, but i do have jets album

oh and ive seen funeral for a friend, they were crap (imho)
    You speak lies.

Anyway I saw Billy Talent in London - they had played Rock City in Nottingham and covered Waiting Room there, but didn't cover it in london.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)

Kazza is evil....*ping, download complete* ohh...excuse me one moment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    Kazza is evil....*ping, download complete* ohh...excuse me one moment
    thats a clever mircowave you've got there...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2003
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.