Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It's illegal to drive on public roads without a provisional licence (and someone sitting next to you who is aged at least 21 and has held a full driving licence for at least the last three years). Some disabled people are allowed a provisional driving licence before their 17th birthdays, but I'm not sure why or what the conditions are. You can drive all you like off public highways (private land, Tesco car park, etc.), but in order to drive legally by yourself on public roads, you still need to pass your test (both theory and practical) and have a provisional licence.

ReputationRep:
    If you are claiming Disability Living Allowance at the higher rate, then you are entitled to obtain a provisional licence to drive a car from the age of 16 (same as the age from which anyone can drive a moped on a provisional licence).

You can still get into trouble for driving around car parks untaxed/uninsured because the Police will argue that for the purposes of the Road Traffic Act, a publicly accessible car park is deemed to be a part of the public highway.

ReputationRep:
    my mate applied for his provisional way early. he knew about the three month thing so he got his D1 form in Oct 2004 (he turns seventeen Aug2005) so he know he tech couldnt apply till May16 2005 but sent it off Oct 2004 with Start date May16 2005 and the stupid DVLA sent it in the two weeks later so he had his prov from the start of Nov 2004, and tech he cant drive till August he loved just showing it off when he was barely 16 lol

depending on where you live, most docks/ports are privatly owned, therefore you can drive in them w/o licence. not sure how youd go about it or anything tho. find a large, private car park, and if you have the owners permission to practice drivin in it then the police should have no comeback to arrest you or anything

ReputationRep:
    Even if you don't get their permission, trespass is a civil matter and not criminal. The police will only involve themselves if an offence is being committed (e.g. breaking and entering to gain access - 'but the gate was open officer' :rolleyes:, criminal damage - driving over the farmer's crops, etc.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    It's 20.5 metres. Which is actually a lot closer than you'd think! Do you wear glasses? I do and I was really worried about not being able to see it but I was fine
    i wear glasses and i could see the license plate without them as well.

if you normally wear glasses like all the time, then you probably should wear them, the only thing that happens if you can't see it without glasses is that you have to wear your glasses for driving in all the time. which you probably would do anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madelyn)
    but in order to drive legally by yourself on public roads, you still need to pass your test (both theory and practical) and have a provisional licence.
    just a lil correction - to drive by yourself, you need a full licence.

ooh can i just ask, is it spelt license or licence? *is a natsci and doesn't understand correct use of english :p:*

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure its licence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    just a lil correction - to drive by yourself, you need a full licence.
    Nope, what she said was correct - a test pass certificate when accompanied by a valid provisional licence provides entitlement to drive for 2 years and it must be exchanged for a full licence within that period of time.

(Original post by Lauren)
    ooh can i just ask, is it spelt license or licence? *is a natsci and doesn't understand correct use of english :p:*
    license - verb, 'to license'
    licence - noun, 'driving licence'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingspharm)
    license - verb, 'to license'
    licence - noun, 'driving licence'
    I wouldn't make that distinction. "licence" is just British - and so being British, we can use either.

ReputationRep:
    It's correct English to use 'licence' (noun), but our verb 'license' and the American 'license' confuse the matter.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, what she said was correct - a test pass certificate when accompanied by a valid provisional licence provides entitlement to drive for 2 years and it must be exchanged for a full licence within that period of time.
    i'm just trying to clarify for anyone who thinks they can go driving on their own with a provisional licence - you can't - you need to pass your test first.

ReputationRep:
    That's what she said :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    So to clarify: you can drive with someone else (over twenty-one, holding full licence for at least three years, fulfilling other driving conditions like being sober and not on a mobile phone) when you have a provisional licence and are at least 17 and have red L-plates on your car, and are taxed and insured and so on. You cannot drive on your own until you have passed both theory and practical test, for which you need to have a provisional licence. You then ought to apply for your full licence, but you're allowed to drive by yourself the minute you pass your test.
    I thought my earlier post made that clear, evidently not.

ReputationRep:
    Your earlier post was perfectly clear

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Who gave me negative rep for my post? How was it offensive in anyway? :rolleyes:
    Don't worry, you have tons of reputation points anyway. *glances at my humble single gem* It can't have taken many points off.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah 17 i think. I herd that you have to be 18 now to take your practicle examination?

When did this happen? :-O

Simon
    www.studentphotographer.com

ReputationRep:
    Your earlier post was perfectly clear
    Thank you. You can be my friend.

There are always rumours flying around about the age limit changing. At present, it's still seventeen (unless you qualify for the DLA thing, as mentioned above).

ReputationRep:
    About the rumours: http://www.2pass.co.uk/driving-age.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vjman645)
    Hi!

Sorry if this has been asked before. I just got my provisional today but do I have to wait till my 17th birthday until I can drive or can I start learning to drive now?

Thanks!
    yeah coz u still gotta b 17 2 learn 2 drive even if u have ur provisional at 16 unless ur disabled

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.