The Student Room Group

Pay rent by Cash

Hi guys, I was asked by my landlord to start paying rent by Cash last month. I realise he is on benefit...I am not sure whether he is declaring the rent as an income(not my position to ask) and paying in cash certainly allows him not declaring. Do I have an obligation to report to HM Revenue in this case?
Will I get in trouble if he is found for benefit fraud by not declaring the rent income?:s-smilie:
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

I think he needs to declare it, but even then, do not pay by cash because you will not have any records of having actually paid him; so he could just as easily claim you haven't and take you to court with no evidence on your part. Always make sure it is a transfer or by cheque, any way that it will be recorded validly.
Reply 2
Magnum Opus
I think he needs to declare it, but even then, do not pay by cash because you will not have any records of having actually paid him; so he could just as easily claim you haven't and take you to court with no evidence on your part. Always make sure it is a transfer or by cheque, any way that it will be recorded validly.

If I get a receipt, would that be okay?
Reply 3
Don't pay cash; you will have no proof that you paid. Pay with bank transfer or direct debit or cheque (basically anything that will show up on your bank statement).
Reply 4
lj789

A rent book would be preferable. You can buy one from WHSmith and the like. Should cost you a fiver or so, but you will have a record of all rent paid to him. But as others have said, cash is dodgy. If at all possible, pay by other means.
lj789

Not ideal, try to get it on a bank statement at the very least.
Reply 6
Magnum Opus
Not ideal, try to get it on a bank statement at the very least.

Actually I don't mind paying by cash as longas I get a receipt. The only I am concerned is that I may be in trouble if hes found to commit benefit fraud.....will they say I am the one 'helping' them to commit a fraud?:s-smilie: even I m not/do not know about it.
lj789
Actually I don't mind paying by cash as longas I get a receipt. The only I am worried is that I will be in trouble if hes found to commit benefit fraud.....will they say I am the one 'helping' them to commit a fraud?:s-smilie: even I m not/do not know about it.

So you don't mind when your landlord rips you off and tries to tell you you haven't paid? A receipt isn't foolproof at all. You won't be in trouble for anything he commits, so don't worry about that, just make sure you're ticking all the right boxes
Reply 8
Magnum Opus
So you don't mind when your landlord rips you off and tries to tell you you haven't paid? A receipt isn't foolproof at all. You won't be in trouble for anything he commits, so don't worry about that, just make sure you're ticking all the right boxes

................the thing is....he agrees to reduce the rent a bit ONLY if I pay in cash. I suspect theres something going on.....I m not sure. Is a rent book good enough to get me out of trouble?
lj789
................the thing is....he agrees to reduce the rent a bit ONLY if I pay in cash. I suspect theres something going on.....I m not sure. Is a rent book good enough to get me out of trouble?

There should be no reason for him to say that. How much is a "little", is it significant? A transfer to him should be next to instant, and at no cost at all. I can't see what the problem with it is really. I would be slightly suspicious if I'm honest. Are you already in this landlord's house renting, or is it something you're planning to move into? If that latter, I'd avoid it personally.
Reply 10
Magnum Opus
There should be no reason for him to say that. How much is a "little", is it significant? A transfer to him should be next to instant, and at no cost at all. I can't see what the problem with it is really. I would be slightly suspicious if I'm honest. Are you already in this landlord's house renting, or is it something you're planning to move into? If that latter, I'd avoid it personally.

You mean a bank transfer? is it something like a standing order/direct debit? Unfortunately,I am already in the house...........He recently asked me to pay him in cash. I found it quite strange.
lj789
You mean a bank transfer? is it something like a standing order/direct debit? Unfortunately,I am already in the house...........He recently asked me to pay him in cash. I found it quite strange.

Yeah

You must have reached an agreement on how to pay before you moved in? Did you pay a deposit and first month's rent?
Reply 12
do not pay by cash, report him, I've done this before and found it to be a very enjoyable experience.
Reply 13
Baz1990
do not pay by cash, report him, I've done this before and found it to be a very enjoyable experience.

enjoyable??:frown:
actually, i think a cash cheque will solve the problem. They have a record of me paying and he has to sign at the back of the cheque and can be traced who got the money.
how where you paying him before?
Reply 15
lj789
enjoyable??:frown:
actually, i think a cash cheque will solve the problem. They have a record of me paying and he has to sign at the back of the cheque and can be traced who got the money.

I found it to be enjoyable when I reported some benefit thieves, it was the highlight of my day, I am looking forward to them being totally up **** creak.
I wish I knew some benefit cheats, I'd report them immediately and take great pleasure in doing so. Dirty thieving lazy bastards
Reply 17
lj789
Hi guys, I was asked by my landlord to start paying rent by Cash last month. I realise he is on benefit...I am not sure whether he is declaring the rent as an income(not my position to ask) and paying in cash certainly allows him not declaring. Do I have an obligation to report to HM Revenue in this case?
Will I get in trouble if he is found for benefit fraud by not declaring the rent income?:s-smilie:
Thanks

Of course you don't have an obligation to report to HM Revenue and no you won't get into trouble is he doesn't declare the rent income.

But, if I were you I'd certainly ask for a small discount for paying cash. Clearly this money isn't going through his books - that's a benefit to him - no reason why he shouldn't "share the wealth"
Reply 18
at0micsmurf
I wish I knew some benefit cheats, I'd report them immediately and take great pleasure in doing so. Dirty thieving lazy bastards

But I still live there...it's better to maintain a good relation with the landlord and report him after I leave
Reply 19
Magnum Opus

Er......he could always write a receipt...:rolleyes:

Latest