Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi - has anyone ever given any thought to modernising a fairytale such as Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Rumplestiltskin, etcetc? We've been told to think about it, and I've read some interesting feminist takes on it and so on, but I think it's all been done. (I also think this h/w is a complete waste of time but that's beside the point). Any ideas anyone, I'm desperate :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Bethany*)
    Hi - has anyone ever given any thought to modernising a fairytale such as Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Rumplestiltskin, etcetc? We've been told to think about it, and I've read some interesting feminist takes on it and so on, but I think it's all been done. (I also think this h/w is a complete waste of time but that's beside the point). Any ideas anyone, I'm desperate :bawling:
    The reason behind sleeping beautys constant sleeping is because some crack dealer who was merely after her body mixed some in her drink and she remained in a coma for a long time etc etc

The crack dealer then realsied that his prints would be all over the body, so he'd have to find a way of waking her up. and getting rid of the finger prints. The crack dealer than takes some magic mushrooms, so he thinks hes a frog, then kisses sleeping beauty on the lips. As a result of this the sheer power of the belief that the crack dealer was a frog was so great that it woke the woman. Then they both realised they could make some good profit out of this so decided to go into business......and lived happily ever after

the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markus)
    The reason behind sleeping beautys constant sleeping is because some crack dealer who was merely after her body mixed some in her drink and she remained in a coma for a long time etc etc

The crack dealer then realsied that his prints would be all over the body, so he'd have to find a way of waking her up. and getting rid of the finger prints. The crack dealer than takes some magic mushrooms, so he thinks hes a frog, then kisses sleeping beauty on the lips. As a result of this the sheer power of the belief that the crack dealer was a frog was so great that it woke the woman. Then they both realised they could make some good profit out of this so decided to go into business......and lived happily ever after

the end.
    :rofl: now thats good like it muchly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Bethany*)
    Once upon a time there was a little girl called Little Red Riding Hoodie. She lived in a 24 storey council flat with her mum, step dad and a range of half/step siblings, in the middle of a busy city. Her mother told her one day to catch the bus and go see her granny who lived in a little shack in the woods, as her granny wasn't well, she was suffering cold turkey and needed company. Once LRRH got there she realised her granny was worse than she though, she was negotiating a deal with her drug dealer come pimp and pointing excitedly at little Red Riding Hoodie. LRRH realised that her granny was trying to get her into her scummy world and quickly set about running back home, but then she realised she already had 2 kids herself and needed to support them. One year later LRRH is also a druggy, and her 3 kids have now gone into care. The moral of the story...never trust your granny, no really don't take drugs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by * gemchicken *)
    Once upon a time there was a little girl called Little Red Riding Hoodie. She lived in a 24 storey council flat with her mum, step dad and a range of half/step siblings, in the middle of a busy city. Her mother told her one day to catch the bus and go see her granny who lived in a little shack in the woods, as her granny wasn't well, she was suffering cold turkey and needed company. Once LRRH got there she realised her granny was worse than she though, she was negotiating a deal with her drug dealer come pimp and pointing excitedly at little Red Riding Hoodie. LRRH realised that her granny was trying to get her into her scummy world and quickly set about running back home, but then she realised she already had 2 kids herself and needed to support them. One year later LRRH is also a druggy, and her 3 kids have now gone into care. The moral of the story...never trust your granny, no really don't take drugs
    :rofl: like it, bravo.

ReputationRep:
    has anyone ever thought of modernising Beauty and the Beast that would be an interesting idea though not quite sure how it would work.

ReputationRep:
    wouldn't this get better responses in one of the academic subforums. Do you want me to move it.

Have you looked at Angela Carters the bloody chamber its fabulous

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...233060-9961447

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    wouldn't this get better responses in one of the academic subforums. Do you want me to move it.

Have you looked at Angela Carters the bloody chamber its fabulous

That book is amazing. it was the first Angela Carter book i read and now i'm hooked. i love her books.

ReputationRep:
    I read the magic toyshop first. I did the bloody chamber at uni and it was my favourite book I studied throughout my degree its great

This book might also be useful to your studies

ReputationRep:
    Rapunzel has a good feminist message.

Rapunzel was a beautiful girl who was fancied by an evil witch. This witch wanted to make sure Rapunzel knew how evil men were so she locked her up in a big phallic tower that resembled a penis. Her being trapped in such a male object would cause her to dislike men are fear their penises forever.
    However, one day a horny man came along and discovered the massive penis tower. Upon seeing that there was a fair maiden on top of it, he got jealous of the huge phallic tower that was so much more superior to his own penis that he tried to get her out of there. She was only too willing when she discovered that he had a much smaller penis that it would be impossible to be trapped on. They planned their escape for the following day.
    But when the witch visited Rapunzel that morning to admit her love, she was shocked to find the prince. In revenge, she threw the prince from the huge penis tower into the thorny pubes, which blinded him - like the old proverb 'too much and you'll go blind' to punish him for his sexuality and gender. She punished Rapunzel by cutting her hair to make her resemble a male and casting her out of the huge phallic tower alone to fear the large and small trees of the forest - thus she would fear all penis shaped objects.
    Unfortunately, Rapunzel found the prince, and because she was not at all grateful to the witch for trying to avert her from the dangers of men, she ran off with the prince, not before curing him of his blindness (basically making him stop masterbating). Thus the poor witch is always labelled as a witch, rather than an early feminist trying in vain to make a point that we've discovered too late.

ReputationRep:
    why not make it "texting beauty"! if we make her a new orange customer, she can use her bonus free minutes to call cross netowork to prince charming. or even text him for just 3p!

i'm too tired to think about much now, but this topic did remind me of something interesting. "snow white and the seven dwarfs" isn't actually allowed as a title these days due to political correctness. when they remade a film version of it for tv release a few years ago, it was called "snow white and the seven little people".

if anything, a fairy tale that's modernised would best be done as a piece of satire, i think. but if it's a straight forward transfer from old to new which you want to do, then i'd actually keep the magic elements to a certain extent (because a fairy tale just isnt a fairy tale without them). say something like beauty and the beast, it could be a very attractive woman who stumbles into the property of a billionaire tycoon who made his money from the it sector, but his face has melted away due to 24/7 exposure to the computer screen. or a similar accident, such as inserting the wrong 3 and a half inch floppy into the A drive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ant93)
    has anyone ever thought of modernising Beauty and the Beast that would be an interesting idea though not quite sure how it would work.
    It would be the Surgery Enhanced Beauty :punk: and the Normal Nice guy for starters

Lol but any offers will be greatly accepted lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by makeshiftwings)
    Rapunzel has a good feminist message.

Rapunzel was a beautiful girl who was fancied by an evil witch. This witch wanted to make sure Rapunzel knew how evil men were so she locked her up in a big phallic tower that resembled a penis. Her being trapped in such a male object would cause her to dislike men are fear their penises forever.
    However, one day a horny man came along and discovered the massive penis tower. Upon seeing that there was a fair maiden on top of it, he got jealous of the huge phallic tower that was so much more superior to his own penis that he tried to get her out of there. She was only too willing when she discovered that he had a much smaller penis that it would be impossible to be trapped on. They planned their escape for the following day.
    But when the witch visited Rapunzel that morning to admit her love, she was shocked to find the prince. In revenge, she threw the prince from the huge penis tower into the thorny pubes, which blinded him - like the old proverb 'too much and you'll go blind' to punish him for his sexuality and gender. She punished Rapunzel by cutting her hair to make her resemble a male and casting her out of the huge phallic tower alone to fear the large and small trees of the forest - thus she would fear all penis shaped objects.
    Unfortunately, Rapunzel found the prince, and because she was not at all grateful to the witch for trying to avert her from the dangers of men, she ran off with the prince, not before curing him of his blindness (basically making him stop masterbating). Thus the poor witch is always labelled as a witch, rather than an early feminist trying in vain to make a point that we've discovered too late.
    Thankyou for a very good laugh. I once try to modernise Rapunzel and failed dismally, basicalli instead of a tower she lived in a highrise block of flats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    I read the magic toyshop first. I did the bloody chamber at uni and it was my favourite book I studied throughout my degree its great

This book might also be useful to your studies

have you read The Passion of New Eve. Thats my favourite. I'd reccomend it to any Angela Carter fan.

ReputationRep:
    Can you modernise a fable? I would've thought they'd be easier than a full on fairy tale, because they're shorter. The tortoise and the hare, for example, or the monkey and the fox (ooh, that'd be a good one - you could make it political, with Bush as the monkey!). Or what about the grasshopper and the ants?

skevvybritt x

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 3, 2005

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.