Turn on thread page Beta

are you ever ashamed to be European or of European descent? watch

ReputationRep:
    Im not ashamed at all because what ancestors from centuries ago did has no bearing on me at all.
    its not as if I can say im ashamed for what they've done cos I dont even know my ancestry that well anyway!
    if anything Im more ashamed of being labelled in the same group as people my age who do things like happy slapping and murdering people for no bloody reason!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovemachine)
    alot of times i feel the guilt of my ancestors for what we've done in the 3rd world ( particularly africa) I tell myself that it was inevitable that a group would rise and exploit for their own interests ...after all it is human nature..no? anyway...wt do you think?
    Oh FFS what a stupid post, perhaps we should ask the Indians if they feel bad about their ancestors burning women alive, or perhaps the Africans for eating each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    Oh FFS what a stupid post, perhaps we should ask the Indians if they feel bad about their ancestors burning women alive, or perhaps the Africans for eating each other.
    Well, a LUDICROUS comment on Indians burning women & Africans eating women. Hope you're NOT going back a whole millennia :rolleyes: What a old-fashioned & out-dated comment, you've there :rolleyes:

If your comment is NOT absurd, then I fear, the thread it itself can't be classified as such

ReputationRep:
    yesterday i was really chuffed- a woman thought i wasn't english or british (whichever)- that really made my day- she said i looked too chic to be english or british!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    What about "witch" burnings, lynching and so forth?... it is easy to back track and pick on minor details isn't it?... you sir are therefore backward.

ReputationRep:
    alot of times i feel the guilt of my ancestors for what we've done in the 3rd world ( particularly africa) I tell myself that it was inevitable that a group would rise and exploit for their own interests ...after all it is human nature..no? anyway...wt do you think?
    Africa's problems are due to Africans and Arabs, not Europeans. Africa's best times were during colonial rule.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Watcher)
    Africa's problems are due to Africans and Arabs, not Europeans. Africa's best times were during colonial rule.
    Indeed. Europeans get (much of the time unfairly) a lot of stick from African governments, who instead of sorting out their own problems which were mainly caused by themselves are trying to stick the blame on Europeans and specifically the British.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Waddell)
    Indeed. Europeans get (much of the time unfairly) a lot of stick from African governments, who instead of sorting out their own problems which were mainly caused by themselves are trying to stick the blame on Europeans and specifically the British.
    Indeed. They'll still be blaming us in a 1,000 years for the latest Africa and Arab caused disasters out there.

ReputationRep:
    No way, I'm proud of my heritage.

(Original post by The Watcher)

Totally agree with this, Look what has happened in Zimbabwe recently.

ReputationRep:
    No, not at all. Proud if anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vienna)
    I dont think there is any reason to put it in moral terms. What our ancestors did was what they thought best for them and their people. We are the product of their decisions and values. I find it disrespectful to not acknowledge the contribution they made or seek to judge them based on our contemporary moral understanding.
    The most absurd thing i have heard in quite a while...

The Nazi's did what they thought was best for them, and their people (the so called "aryans"). So can we not look back and deem them immoral based on our "contemporary moral understanding"?

Was slavery ok because the whites in america thought it benefitted them and thus permitted it? Can we not look back and judge what they did as being immoral?

You seem to hold a very extreme moral relativist view, for eg, if there was a society once upon a time which enjoyed raping women for pleasure, we could not criticise them because at the time, they enjoyed doing what they did. We cannot "seek to judge them based on our contemporary moral understanding" ...right?

Lol absolutely ludicrous....!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mizzy87)

The Nazi's did what they thought was best for them, and their people (the so called "aryans"). So can we not look back and deem them immoral based on our "contemporary moral understanding"?

Was slavery ok because the whites in america thought it benefitted them and thus permitted it? Can we not look back and judge what they did as being immoral?

You seem to hold a very extreme moral relativist view, for eg, if there was a society once upon a time which enjoyed raping women for pleasure, we could not criticise them because at the time, they enjoyed doing what they did. We cannot "seek to judge them based on our contemporary moral understanding" ...right?

Indeed, the justification for previous atrocitious committed are quite hypocritical when on the other hand these people are going on about the muslims suppressing people in their own country.....quite amusing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mizzy87)

What moral understanding has altered between 1940 et 2005? Relatively little. We can of course find slavery to be immoral and cases of it in contemporary society should be condemned, however, I wont judge those who advocated slavery centuries ago by my moral standards and determine them to be utterly evil. Seeing as most of the population of Britain believed blacks to be savages at some point in our history, were they all immoral, evil people or were they are product of their social understanding?

Im not at all relativist because I see that rape and slavery are inherently wrong and our society is better for finding them immoral, but can I claim to be necessarily a better person purely because Im a product of social evolution?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)
    Indeed, the justification for previous atrocitious committed are quite hypocritical when on the other hand these people are going on about the muslims suppressing people in their own country.....quite amusing...
    On the contrary, I recognise that wife beating and hatred for Jews has no place in contemporary society and oppose it. The relativists are those that will tolerate wife beating and Jew hatred whether it be 100 years ago or part of a culture that claims to be mainstream and contemporary. I havent seen you draw a single criticism of such beliefs. In fact, I havent seen you make any non-personal comments whatsoever.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.