Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Special Consideration is really quite shoddy...the most you can get is 5%, and that's if a parent dies on the day of the exam! It's unreal...My school shut in March, and you'd think that'd be a pretty big thing - we had to finish coursework out of school, we couldn't finish our syllabuses, we had no school, man! Not to mention the trauma of the whole thing, which was seriously depressing, infuriating, and pretty painful...and our special consideration amounts to 2%. 2% is nothing - you'd think they'd give you a bit of leeway, but nopes!

Anyway, I just thought I'd post 'coz I'd just seen a thread about grade boundaries, which scared me a fair amount...methinks I shall be retaking a few GCSEs next year!

ReputationRep:
    That sounds awful, I wish you good results.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers Shamen (cool name btw). Good luck with your results - have you just done GCSEs or AS/A Levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rasta)
    Cheers Shamen (cool name btw).
    Thanks, in respect of the group, "The Shamen".

(Original post by Rasta)
    Good luck with your results - have you just done GCSEs or AS/A Levels?
    I've just finished my GCSEs mate - hallelujah!

ReputationRep:
    :eek: only 2%?! well who knows, that may be the difference between an A and A*

ReputationRep:
    The Shamen as in the Ebeneezer Goode people?

Good good So you got sixth form to look forward to! Or are you college-ing it?

ReputationRep:
    rasta hope you get wicked grades anyway, you sound as if you didnt just give up when school closed, so you should be good, why idd it close anyway in the middle of the yr too.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks mtbab...tis a long story, basically because the governors and other big people were complete idiots with our finances, we were totally broke last summer...we were gonna close at the end of that year (my Year 10) but a mysterious 'consortium of businessmen' stepped into buy us. They said they were gonna keep us open as a school for at least 2 years, ha, but that wasn't really their intention so they shut us in March...they sold the school for about 4mil and it's being made into a retirement home now! So there you go, lol!

ReputationRep:
    ohh rite is it a private school then?

ReputationRep:
    Yeps, probs woulda been better off going to a state school considering, lol!

Good luck with your results

ReputationRep:
    Does that mean that allthe pupils at your school have to find somewhere else to go for september???? Atleast this didnt happen in year 10 - then you would have to cope with sitting ur exams and being in a new school. I think 2% sounds fair. Its not as tragic as ur parents dying - hey its only a set of exams - but I think its good that you get some consideration. Good luk with ur results1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rasta)

"Norty norty very norty muwhahahaha" - Yea lol :p:

ReputationRep:
    i knew it had to be private, i went to private primary school was there from i was 2, loved it sooo much but then in May1999 (yr5) got a letter saying the principal wanted to retire and so was closing down the school as none of her children wanted to take on the school and she couldnt sell it as a school apparently. so end of yr5 the school closed July17th 1999 had to go a school i HATED for yr6, but it didnt matter to me really coz it was only a yr, and i didnt really have important stuff to learn as they were teaching stuff i'd learnt when i 8/9 at my old school, seriously i loved that school

R.I.P Astwell Prep! 1955-1999!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rasta)

I'm goin' college mate, as my old school wasn't all that great. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I think that two per cent is very low. It probably only accounts for five extra marks in one of your papers which, lets face it, could easily be dropped or gained if you understood a question or not.

As for only giving five per cent when a parent dies! Most people wouldn't be fit to take an exam let along care whether they got an extra five per cent. As if that is any consolation!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edwardmonk89)
    As for only giving five per cent when a parent dies! Most people wouldn't be fit to take an exam let along care whether they got an extra five per cent. As if that is any consolation!
    I totally agree; I think it's really nescient of the Exam Boards to think 5.pc will be of any consolation. In fact I think that's outrageous that the Exam Boards do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shamen)
    I totally agree; I think it's really nescient of the Exam Boards to think 5.pc will be of any consolation. In fact I think that's outrageous that the Exam Boards do that.
    they have to do something or else they would get accused of not caring, and they cannot give out like an auto A* becuase there'd be another uproad bout the fact that a dead parent has nothing to do with thier capabilities and they may have got a D otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtbab)
    they have to do something or else they would get accused of not caring, and they cannot give out like an auto A* becuase there'd be another uproad bout the fact that a dead parent has nothing to do with thier capabilities and they may have got a D otherwise.
    Yeah but a 5.pc contribution hardly compensates for the loss of a parent... I agree, because, they have no way to identify how the death affected the student, but in most cases I think they are naive to think that 5.pc will compensate for the lessened performance of the student.

ReputationRep:
    this system is totally unfair!!!

my friend who had his dad in hospital with cancer got no special consideration at all because his dad had to die for him to special consideration.

however, you get speical consideration for the most stupid things... the death of a pet e.g. rabbit, hayfever and colds (providing you have a note from a doctor)!

ridiculous!

ReputationRep:
    no i do agree that 5% is minor, but i suppose that should the gcse mean that much you will retake come november, or just trudge through and do ya best coz in some people loss and deaths make people do better than they would have done too.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.