Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revenged)
    this system is totally unfair!!!

my friend who had his dad in hospital with cancer got no special consideration at all because his dad had to die for him to special consideration.

however, you get speical consideration for the most stupid things... the death of a pet rabbit, hayfever and colds (providing you have a note from a doctor)!

ridiculous!
    yeh you get 1% for a headache , but if your faking it, the whole rigmarole of gettin that special consideration sorted will give you a real headache and you jost wont be bothered lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtbab)
    no i do agree that 5% is minor, but i suppose that should the gcse mean that much you will retake come november
    Yes that's right - and most Universities do accept GCSE resits provided there is laudable cause.

ReputationRep:
    I think some of you are being slightly naive here; Exam Boards don't just impulsively hand out .pc contributions here and everywhere for trivial things such as "headaches", "flu", "death of a pet rabit". Unless they have a sound method of investigation, this seems highly dubious.

ReputationRep:
    You should really be given more than 2%, but by the sounds of things, you probably won't need it - you seem intelligent and dilligent enough, good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shamen)
    I think some of you are being slightly naive here; Exam Boards don't just impulsively hand out .pc contributions here and everywhere for trivial things such as "headaches", "flu", "death of a pet rabit". Unless they have a sound method of investigation, this seems highly dubious.
    it seems it but its tru lol. theres a newspaper somewhere with like thm all i'll try and find it.

ReputationRep:
    from here: http://www.naa.org.uk

Special Consideration
    ................................ ................................ .....................
    This is not to be confused with access arrangements. Awarding bodies may grant special consideration to candidates who are unable to perform to the best of their ability at the time of the exam due to accident, illness or family bereavement. Giving special consideration to a candidate may increase a candidate’s marks, and possibly also their grade.

If you believe that a candidate is eligible for special consideration on humane or compassionate grounds you must apply on the form contained in the JCQ booklet Access Arrangements and Special Consideration: Regulations and Guidance Relating to Candidates who are Eligible for Adjustments in Examinations, which is sent out to all centres in September and can be downloaded from the JCQ website at www.jcq.org.uk.

The regulations give guidance on what constitutes grounds for special consideration and what does not. As the exams officer, you have the discretion to decide whether some kind of access arrangement, such as a supervised rest break or 25 per cent extra time, will be more helpful to the candidate than requesting special consideration. However, all applications for special consideration remain entirely at the judgement of the awarding body.

Special consideration can only be used in extenuating circumstances and not where the candidate uses excuses such as staff shortages or extensive periods of absence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtbab)
    from here: http://www.naa.org.uk
    I stand corrected; sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtbab)
    yeh you get 1% for a headache , but if your faking it, the whole rigmarole of gettin that special consideration sorted will give you a real headache and you jost wont be bothered lol
    i think they should limit the amount of special consideration to solve this problem to only the most serious causes... ffs, they shouldn't give 1% to someone with a headache anyway!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revenged)
    i think they should limit the amount of special consideration to solve this problem to only the most serious causes... ffs, they shouldn't give 1% to someone with a headache anyway!!!
    Seems pretty pointless anyway, 1% would usually only be:

Science: max mark 90... 1% of 90 = 0.9 - LOL, so you don't even get a full mark.

Maths: max mark 100... 1% of 100 = 1 - Again, pointless...

There are some papers where the marks are out of 120:
    1% of 120 = 1.2 ...
    It's ridiculous that Exam Boards give anything under 5% as it just doesn't make a difference...

That's why I find it hard to believe that all this, "oh, you get 1% for a headache, and 2% for a pet dying" nonsense... I believe that Exam Boards might be in the position to give out such consideration, but 1 or 2% seems highly unlikely...

ReputationRep:
    What I find strange is that if you get one per cent for a headache why on earth do you only get five per cent for the death of a parent! As if the death of a parent is only five times worse than a headache. I wouldn't begrudge someone whose parent has just died twenty per cent, let alone five!

ReputationRep:
    What I find strange is that if you get one per cent for a headache why on earth do you only get five per cent for the death of a parent! As if the death of a parent is only five times worse than a headache. I wouldn't begrudge someone whose parent has just died twenty per cent, let alone five!
    I know it seems stupid to give someone 1% for a headache. I think if a parent dies you should be given full marks straight off! :penguin:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nutchopper)
    I know it seems stupid to give someone 1% for a headache. I think if a parent dies you should be given full marks straight off! :penguin:
    That's all good and well awarding full marks - I personally think a resit at a later stage is more appropriate; however, like I've said before, someone who's just lost a parent will not give a damn about GCSEs, so it's rather futile in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    kinda going round in circles here but nm

ReputationRep:
    Aw, that's really screwed about your primary school mtbab!

Ta for your replies guys...indeed, I don't see the point in such lowly percentages, because it won't even push you up if you're on the boundary between a C and a B or whatever. It should at least be something substantial.

ReputationRep:
    how many gcses did you take then? where you gonna get ya results from are they just gonna posted str8 to ya house

ReputationRep:
    We took our exams at a local state school as externals, so I'm picking my results up there. I did...10 and a half, I think! But took 1 and a half (English and IT) a year early, so 'just' had my 9 GCSEs and 1 AS (which I failed, lol) this year.

How many did you take?

ReputationRep:
    13gcse's took one (RS) early last yr, why dya think ya failed ya AS, what was it in, how come ya took it early

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtbab)
    13gcse's took one (RS) early last yr, why dya think ya failed ya AS, what was it in, how come ya took it early
    Wow, 13, man! Which subjects? How'd you do in your RS?

I did Music AS early 'coz the teacher is a snob and refused to allow us to do GCSE, said it was pointless, git...it was really boring but I just wanted to carry on doing Music and that was the only way I could, unforch :P...I think I failed because for the 40 mark section, I only wrote half a paragraph! I knew what the questions would be, 'coz they're always the same, but the teacher hadn't done any of the topic with us so I had nowt to write! Lols.

ReputationRep:
    lol i did:

EngLit
    EngLang
    Bio
    Chem
    Phys
    ICT
    DT Graphics
    Maths
    RS (got A*)

those were the core one then i picked

French
    History
    Drama
    Music (whihc aint pointless lol)

you had to pick one lang,one humanity and then two others

lol feel sorry about ya AS Music man, but i spose at least coz you took it early you can retake right?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, you did like everything man! How come DT was core?

Yeah, I think I might retake it next year, just I don't really want any extra work lol...

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.