Turn on thread page Beta

Live 8: benefitting Africa or benefitting us? watch

Announcements

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...ic/4637801.stm

I can't say how much I agree with everything this man says. Live 8 is just a big excuse for people in the West to make themselves feel better about the sickening inequality in the world. One-off events like this simply do not work. Debt cancelling and aid increases are simply not going to make any difference to an average person in the developing world. Many of them are isolated from the world economy anyway. What we need to do is realise that we should feel bad about what is happening in Africa, but not feel helpless to do anything about it. We need to change the way we feel, change the way we think and change the way we live.

We need an example. We need an economic martyr. The most inspiring thing I can imagine at the moment is Bob Geldof giving the majority of his income to grass-roots charities in the developing world, moving into a terraced house and driving a second-hand car. A lot of people, including me, would reconsider their position, and place their needs in perspective with those of people in the developing world.

I recognise that we're exploiting the rest of the world for our benefit, but I know that as one person I can't do anything. We need an example to follow, not a big party to help us forget about it all and pretend we're doing something.

ReputationRep:
    written by myself elsewhere:

I am not sure how I feel about live8 personnally. I am split between the view described here and the one that it can make a big difference and it is better to be doing something rather than nothing.

I am certain that this is the most coverage the cause of inbalance in the world has recieved however I also feel that few of the musicans playing today and shouting their slogans really understand what dropping 3rd world debt will actually do. Not only this, but their approach to sorting the problems of those in Africa with the removal of debt seems to be to simplistic. Undoubtably debt plays some role in the problems of Africa, yet their is no mention of the corruption that holds back the continent or the way Western powers actually view Africa. While every country continues to act for only its best interests some countries will always suffer and dropping the debt to me might only change which countries are suffereing rather than allieviating the problem.

ReputationRep:
    Worzo, I don't exploit anybody so don't feel guilty. As you mention very few Africans work for western business interests, so are not 'exploited' by western consumers even if that were the appropriate word (it's not).

If there is exploitation it is by our financial institutions and their own elites. I do not favour cancelling their debts if the debt is simply passed on to workers in the West.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArthurOliver)
    Worzo, I don't exploit anybody so don't feel guilty. As you mention very few Africans work for western business interests, so are not 'exploited' by western consumers even if that were the appropriate word (it's not).

If there is exploitation it is by our financial institutions and their own elites. I do not favour cancelling their debts if the debt is simply passed on to workers in the West.
    You don't believe man's riches led to another poverty then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by material breach)
    You don't believe man's riches led to another poverty then?
    If I understand you rightly, that my relative wealth cause somebody else's poverty, no I don't.

(Original post by ArthurOliver)
    I don't exploit anybody so don't feel guilty.
    By living in the West, you are exploiting much of the developing world. It's a fallacy to say that because you're not directly linked to any of the financial institutions then you're not part of the problem because you are benefitting from the institutions at the expense of others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Worzo)
    By living in the West, you are exploiting much of the developing world. It's a fallacy to say that because you're not directly linked to any of the financial institutions then you're not part of the problem because you are benefitting from the institutions at the expense of others.
    Which institutions are benefitting me? The IMF and World Bank? How?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Worzo)
    You've said this after claiming people in the 3rd world are isolated from the 3rd world economy? Seems so contradictory.

ReputationRep:
    Did anybody think today's performers consistently shamed themselves with their lack of knowledge when quizzed on it?

ReputationRep:
    benefits nobody.

yea yea its come around and everyone makes a song and dance over it and go about with good intentions but then it'll disappear off the radar.

everyone cared when the tsunami hit and that was only 6 months ago. now you hear bugger all about it. rebuilding isnt as good at grabbing headlines as big waves and piles of bodies. at least then people gave cash to help. doubt many people have thought about the tsunami for months now.

like i said, people care, but they always have something more pressing on their mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homoterror)
    Did anybody think today's performers consistently shamed themselves with their lack of knowledge when quizzed on it?
    i can see your point, chris martin from coldplay gave a crap interview on tv. he was asked what he was thinking when on stage and he simply replied 'my dinner'. and there was no reference to the whole purpose of the day aswell as in other interviews I saw.

btw, did the 200 thousand or so ppl turn up for a massive free music concert or to make poverty history

I went to Live8, have just come back.

The best thing i thought that summed up the utter turd evident in your opinions was the pic - the enduring image from live aid of a starving little girl hours away from death.
    Bob geldof then reveals that she was helped through money raised in the last appeal and has just passed her agriculture exams. they then bring on this pretty 20ish year old girl onto stage and the crowd goes nuts, people were sobbing. it was so poweful.
    he then basically blasted the critics who go on about it making no difference and just being for our gratification.
    even if it were just that one girl EVER saved, is it not worth it.

Live Aid benefits thousands. You mark it as failure because it couldnt stop poverty or something.
    When you boat is sinking you at least try to bail water/seal the hole. you dont just sit there poo pooing the efforts of others.

ReputationRep:
    It was a great event, the cynicism will always be there which is understanable since in 2 days time everyone will forget about it more so the g8 leaders. However you are right, I think it's always worth doing this sort of thing, if it helps people however little I don't see why they shouldnt take place like some others suggest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    I went to Live8, have just come back.

The best thing i thought that summed up the utter turd evident in your opinions was the pic - the enduring image from live aid of a starving little girl hours away from death.
    Bob geldof then reveals that she was helped through money raised in the last appeal and has just passed her agriculture exams. they then bring on this pretty 20ish year old girl onto stage and the crowd goes nuts, people were sobbing. it was so poweful.
    he then basically blasted the critics who go on about it making no difference and just being for our gratification.
    even if it were just that one girl EVER saved, is it not worth it.

Live Aid benefits thousands. You mark it as failure because it couldnt stop poverty or something.
    When you boat is sinking you at least try to bail water/seal the hole. you dont just sit there poo pooing the efforts of others.
    Wouldn't it seem more realistic to set smaller, but attainable goals, though? My natural tendencies for cynicism aside, poverty will never be made history of as long as the term is relative, barring a global rejection of capitalism (as likely as me lassoing the sun with Mardi Gras beads). I just find all of the idealism on part of the people involved in such operations to be nauseatingly naive. Charity should not be solicited from governments, but from private citizens--otherwise it defeats the meaning of the word. Brad Pitt and Bono think the eight wealthiest nations in the world should use a fixed percentage of their GDPs to end poverty. Where did they get their economics degrees from that I should listen to what they have to say on the issue any more than the crazy guy who stands at Forbes and Fifth on Thursday nights, yelling that poverty will end if we buy all of the starving people cocaine to reduce their appetites?

ReputationRep:
    I dont think the message was charity as mentioned about 100 times by all artists. The objective was far greater than just giving money, the wanted to pressure world leader to erase debt and the opening of trade for Africa which is much more beneficial than charity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)
    I dont think the message was charity as mentioned about 100 times by all artists. The objective was far greater than just giving money, the wanted to pressure world leader to erase debt and the opening of trade for Africa which is much more beneficial than charity.
    You don't magically erase debt (though, if you could, that would be totally awesome)--the expenses are transferred to the lenders...it costs money all the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    You don't magically erase debt (though, if you could, that would be totally awesome)--the expenses are transferred to the lenders...it costs money all the same.
    I didnt say it does...I said that was the message

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)
    I didnt say it does...I said that was the message
    Well, I wasn't interested in watching such a flagrant display of moral masturbation, so I'll have to take your word for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    Well, I wasn't interested in watching such a flagrant display of moral masturbation, so I'll have to take your word for it.
    Interesting choice of words...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Worzo)
    What we need to do is realise that we should feel bad about what is happening in Africa, but not feel helpless to do anything about it. We need to change the way we feel, change the way we think and change the way we live.
    Why?

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.