Turn on thread page Beta

Live 8: benefitting Africa or benefitting us? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    Im not talking about "the artists" im talking about the normal people who once they have heard Bob Geldof think they know what they are talking about.

You have no idea about it until you have been there yourself and seen it. My own family was kicked out of Nigeria and forced to surrender 5 sapphire mines becuase the govt didnt like the idea of us taking so much out of the country, despite the fact that all my grandafthers employees were well looked after, he gave back. The governments dont want to get help, thats the problem.

I dont mean massive disrespect here, becuase a few people seem to have some idea, but a lot of people that talk about this issue, and not only here but elsewhere ive been actually dont have a fricking clue whats actually going on.
    So who in your option does have a right to talk about these issues? The problem those who are the experts are often the ones without the voices.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I don't care *why* the arists are doing this, just the fact that they're doing *something* is enough for me. As Tesco says, "every little helps", and it really does. Seriously... Africa needs anything it can get right now.

Yes, the governments are corrupt... I'm very aware of this. I'm lucky enough to be mixed-race, born and raised in Kenya. Our last president (Moi) now has a spectacular pension and lives in a mansion. Apparently he had torture chambers, and toddlers can actually be seen picking out food from rubbish dumps in Nairobi.

As an African, I don't care *what* the West has to do. Taking a pay-cut is not going to reduce England into abject poverty: cancel third world debt! Send medicine, send food, send doctors, send anything you have. I know I'm ranting but seriously, I've lived there, and Kenya is actually one of the richer countries in Africa, and every day I thank God that my mother is white so that while I lived there I had a home and food, and that I had the option to get out. My family are lucky: they have land, a house, food, etc. A lot of people aren't. If you go to Kisumu, there are abandoned boys on the streets begging for food. And this is one of the *richer* countries.

I know I'm being too personal and not taking things into account. But all I see is this: people are dying. Millions of people, five minutes ago, right now, in two hours time. If you'd live with them, you'd understand the desperation. The fact that they don't live like "us", they don't have immediate hospital access or free school or guarenteed meals. So whether Coldplay or whoever are doing this to up their album sales, I say that it doesn't matter. At least they're up there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mata)
    Honestly, I don't care *why* the arists are doing this, just the fact that they're doing *something* is enough for me. As Tesco says, "every little helps", and it really does. Seriously... Africa needs anything it can get right now.

Yes, the governments are corrupt... I'm very aware of this. I'm lucky enough to be mixed-race, born and raised in Kenya. Our last president (Moi) now has a spectacular pension and lives in a mansion. Apparently he had torture chambers, and toddlers can actually be seen picking out food from rubbish dumps in Nairobi.

As an African, I don't care *what* the West has to do. Taking a pay-cut is not going to reduce England into abject poverty: cancel third world debt! Send medicine, send food, send doctors, send anything you have. I know I'm ranting but seriously, I've lived there, and Kenya is actually one of the richer countries in Africa, and every day I thank God that my mother is white so that while I lived there I had a home and food, and that I had the option to get out. My family are lucky: they have land, a house, food, etc. A lot of people aren't. If you go to Kisumu, there are abandoned boys on the streets begging for food. And this is one of the *richer* countries.

I know I'm being too personal and not taking things into account. But all I see is this: people are dying. Millions of people, five minutes ago, right now, in two hours time. If you'd live with them, you'd understand the desperation. The fact that they don't live like "us", they don't have immediate hospital access or free school or guarenteed meals. So whether Coldplay or whoever are doing this to up their album sales, I say that it doesn't matter. At least they're up there.
    a more personal approach to what i said lol i've been to kenya and ye i've seen the suffering first hand. might i add tho, kenya is one of the most beautiful countries i've visted (and i've visited a lottt). and i i'm not talking about jst the beaches or safari's (altho they were awesome ) but they're rly nice ppl. i sent a mobile fone to one guy in kenya cz lol....i liked him? neways tht was off-topic. .

ReputationRep:
    in 20 yrs decrepid bob will have another blast because, and wait for this shocker, in 20 yrs africa will be just as screwed as it is today (if its lucky).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    he was a so so rock star with happy mondays, but got caught up in the whole charity thing long ago.
    The Boomtown Rats actually.

ReputationRep:
    The paternalistic and patronising pop-stars seem to be motivated by two stupid ideas. 1) that inside every Black person, is a White person trying to get out, and 2) that the answer to Africa's problems will come from Western politicians who cannot sort out their own countries problems.

Treat African adults like adults, and let Africa be African.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Worzo)
    [url]I can't say how much I agree with everything this man says. Live 8 is just a big excuse for people in the West to make themselves feel better about the sickening inequality in the world.
    I agree. This kind of stuff is purely to help part time humanists feel good about themselves rather than actually commit to anything permanent and serious.

(Original post by Chrism)
    The Boomtown Rats actually.
    duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    i knew that. are happy mondays a band or am i just being silly and thinking of 'i dont like mondays'
    was sooo tired when i wrote that, arent too suprrised!

ReputationRep:
    They're a late 80s/early 90s 'Madchester' band. Bez (he of Celeb Big Brother) is a dancer for them.

(Original post by ArthurOliver)
    The paternalistic and patronising pop-stars seem to be motivated by two stupid ideas. 1) that inside every Black person, is a White person trying to get out, and 2) that the answer to Africa's problems will come from Western politicians who cannot sort out their own countries problems.

Treat African adults like adults, and let Africa be African.
    squalor and famine arent intriniscally african qualities.
    we invented the weapons as part of our development which are now used to opress and kill in africa. a dictator finds it hard to keep power with 500 loyal men with spears. given them automatic rifles and its a damned sight easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    squalor and famine arent intriniscally african qualities.
    we invented the weapons as part of our development which are now used to opress and kill in africa. a dictator finds it hard to keep power with 500 loyal men with spears. given them automatic rifles and its a damned sight easier.
    and live8 isnt going to stop said dictator now is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by material breach)
    So who in your option does have a right to talk about these issues? The problem those who are the experts are often the ones without the voices.
    hun, what im saying is a lot of young people round the traps are mis-informed, hear one theory on it and think they are an expert when really they are talking out their arses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    and live8 isnt going to stop said dictator now is it?
    hell no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    indeed. it is true that our wealth will probablary take a dent if we were truly to help africa. the world seems to be a bit like a game of poker (anyone ever played for money/matchsticks). when one guy has a big pot its stupidly hard to win because they can go all in whenever they wish.
    Name a single country that was lifted out of poverty mainly due to aid. Meanwhile, I'll list the countries that were able to greatly reduce poverty due to internal reforms: China, India, Indonesia, South Korea, Thailand, and Taiwan.

realistically there is only a finite amount of wealth in the world, and improving the lot of africa will mean us relinquishing a certain share of that wealth.
    The amount of wealth in the world is nor fixed. Every country in the world can become wealthier at the same time if they were all to pursue sound economic policies. Increased productivity and thus income in one nation actually increases real income in other nations. Improving the lot of Africa does not require us to give it a penny, nor will being generous towards Africa help it in the long term (in fact, it will likely have the opposite effect). The biggest obstacles to ending poverty in Africa is endemic corruption and horrible macroeconomic policies. Only when Africans start producing goods that are in demand by the international market and encourage foreign investment from firms that have expertise in their fields will Africa follow the path of southeast Asia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    actually live 8 made more money through the 'lottery' system than it would have by simply selling the tickets. after all it would be totally against the spirit of the concert o price out people form the concert (by putting tickets at 50 quid say).
    The first £1.6 million of the money raised went to the Prince's Trust (as they would have otherwise hosted Party in the Park in Hyde Park, which had to be cancelled due). The rest of the money raised had to be used to pay for the actually organising the events, and catering for the 'celebs'.

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...ic/4648051.stm

benefitting record companies. look at the albums boost inlay.

shock horror. must be all those new rich africans paying thanks. load of ********.

ReputationRep:
    *nods*

*can hear people yelling "Stunt" from the back of the room*

(Original post by endeavour)
    The first £1.6 million of the money raised went to the Prince's Trust (as they would have otherwise hosted Party in the Park in Hyde Park, which had to be cancelled due). The rest of the money raised had to be used to pay for the actually organising the events, and catering for the 'celebs'.
    the concert wasn't supposed to raise money, it was supposed to raise awareness.

No one here seems to have realised that.
    "we don't want your money, we want your voice"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...ic/4651309.stm

"Artists and record firms who have seen album sales soar after Live 8 should donate their profits to charity, Pink Floyd star Dave Gilmour has said."
    (pink floyd being the group which has seen the bibest rise in sales post concert - 1300 odd percent)

(Original post by Rome)
    the concert wasn't supposed to raise money, it was supposed to raise awareness.

No one here seems to have realised that.
    (Original post by Worzo)
    Like I said, it's great what that they are raising awareness and getting us to talk about it, but they've just missed the opportunity to tell people the real story that we're going to have to make sacrifices that actually reduce our rate of development in order to increase the rate of development of Africa
    Read the thread.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.