Turn on thread page Beta

what type of strength is needed in long distance running?? watch

ReputationRep:
    type of strength???

ReputationRep:
    leg strength

ReputationRep:
    overall strength, yet most good long distance runners are very lithe creatures. worthy of note, oh and they have very loose calf muscles if that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    leg strength
    Stamina (spelling?? lol) - good pair of lungs lol

Attitude training helps a great deal but is difficult unless you live near a mountain lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    Stamina (spelling?? lol) - good pair of lungs lol

Attitude training helps a great deal but is difficult unless you live near a mountain lol

you mean altitude I take it!! yeah that is good. You just need endurance and good leg muscles though they need to be toned rather than huge things!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phenomenom)
    type of strength???
    Good legs, I suppose, and eat energy foods. Bananas are good I am told.

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget a strong diaphram

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    overall strength, yet most good long distance runners are very lithe creatures. worthy of note, oh and they have very loose calf muscles if that helps.
    stamina

and mental perserverence

i would kno im a swimmer and the 2 are very much alike

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Don't forget a strong diaphram

Im an expect in long distance running having competed in the cross country national finals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemgems89)
    Good legs, I suppose, and eat energy foods. Bananas are good I am told.

Indeed they are. Tennis players eat them all the time! Pasta and fish are good energy foods too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommypip)
    you mean altitude I take it!! yeah that is good. You just need endurance and good leg muscles though they need to be toned rather than huge things!
    LOL - yeah altitude, but attitude training is also good lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommypip)
    Indeed they are. Tennis players eat them all the time! Pasta and fish are good energy foods too
    Yeah, and whats the energy drink called again? Oh yeah lucazade, how ever you spell it.

You need to be well motivated as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    Im an expect in long distance running having competed in the cross country national finals.
    Does that mean I'm right, or wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Does that mean I'm right, or wrong?

Err right.

ReputationRep:
    Gee, its known as aerobic conditioining or fitness. This is the process where adenosine triphosphate (ATP) is supplied during prolonged exercise by the aerobic metabolism of carbohydrates and fats in the mitochondria of the muscle. It is the utilization of oxygen.

Simple carbohydrates are the most efficient consumable energy sources for long distance running.

If you wish to consume isotonic fluids. Cheap option is they can be easily made yourself. Best to buy is Gatorade.

ReputationRep:
    You need mental toughness as well, a lot of it

ReputationRep:
    Stamina is needed, but its mainly to do with the mind and how well you can block out the pain. That's what i lack. I have the stamina but not the resistance. You have to have both really.

ReputationRep:
    Physical strength is needed more for shorter distances. Mental strength is important, - can't have you giving up halfway.

ReputationRep:
    stamina and endurance.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.