The Student Room Group

should i include a title in my [postgraduate] personal statement?

Do I need to have a title in my personal statement like my name or something?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nope. Don't need it.
Reply 2
No, it's attatched to your application, they already know your name.
Reply 3
I just put a header on mine that said my name so they would know whose it was if they printed it and it got separated from the rest of the app.
Reply 4
No don't do it, you don't need to at all.
Reply 5
curlbe
I just put a header on mine that said my name so they would know whose it was if they printed it and it got separated from the rest of the app.

I hope you didn't sacrifice any content to have enough lines/words to include that.
If you're sending it off to UCAS, then no you don't need to write your name on your P.S. It's a waste of precious word count.
Waste of word count.
For your postgraduate (put in bold to emphasise posters who think this a forum to talk about UCAS, which isn't relevant. Rant over) statement, a title isn't necessary. I didn't put one on my MA application and it did the job okay.
Reply 9
UCAS isn't involved in postgrad applications. Cambridge want you to put a header on, for example 'Tarquin Nimrod - Statement of Interests for History'. I'm not sure about others, but it can't hurt to put one on, just in case it gets separated from the rest of your application.
Reply 10
tigermoth99
For your postgraduate (put in bold to emphasise posters who think this a forum to talk about UCAS, which isn't relevant. Rant over) statement, a title isn't necessary. I didn't put one on my MA application and it did the job okay.

I did put my name as the title in one of my PS. I think one of the Unis wanted it. It's in their guidelines for PS.
newman24x
I did put my name as the title in one of my PS. I think one of the Unis wanted it. It's in their guidelines for PS.

yeap, some of the unis want it. and it can't hurt.
milad
Do I need to have a title in my personal statement like my name or something?

Nah, just put your name and UCAS ID in a header :smile:
Reply 13
Cicerao
I hope you didn't sacrifice any content to have enough lines/words to include that.

what do you mean 'sacrifice content'? There was no wrd. limit and anyway as I said I put it in the header, i.e. not in the body...
Reply 14
and fyi, cicerao and others, this is the postgraduate forum, has nothing to do with UCAS...
I would go with putting it as a header if that is possible in this case. Will help them if it ever was separated from the rest of your application.
Reply 16
curlbe
and fyi, cicerao and others, this is the postgraduate forum, has nothing to do with UCAS...

'kay, came up in the Discussions bit at the side. :h:
Reply 17
Nah.
Reply 18
If you're writing your postgrad personal statement on a separate piece of paper that you are sending with the application but is not physically attached to it, it's a good idea to at least put your name on it in case an admin person sits on it and it gets lost up their bum (this is what happened to one of my applications).
Reply 19
Thank you everyone

Quick Reply